• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not only is the WR (and RB) class deep into the 4th round... but people are forgetting that we'll be in 21-personnel 50+% of the time next year. That means that you're putting JP, QJ, or [insert favorite WR name here] on the bench for 50+% of the offensive snaps... on an offense that will be much more balanced this year!

You're right... we are thin on the OL, IDL, LB, and CB positions. Every single one of those positions can be filled with starters that fit the new schemes... with one single trade-back... six little spots (from 5 to 11). It's a no-brainer.
    Who are your starting WRs in 21 personnel?

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

ok bro, if you say so. I don't know if he's blowing smoke or not, but that was hardly the point or tone of your post.

you can walk it back ... I would too. bygones.
      The tone of my posts have been consistent. The trade-back nets us the best run-blocking RT in the draft (Fuaga). Along with that trade-back comes the #23 pick (which I absolutely love).

If the Cardinals move out of the #4 spot... they are going to miss out on a Big-3 WR. In that unlikely scenario, we would probably take MHJ (as he is the best player in the draft IMO). Not my preferred pick... but Hortiz is a BPA guy and would take MHJ.

In the more-likely scenario (Cards take MHJ @#4) we would probably trade-back with Minnesota (Hortiz philosophy to accumulate picks). But in the unlikely event that Minnesota is not willing to trade up (using the #11 and acquired #23 pick)... then Joe Alt would fit the Harbaugh/Roman philosophy better than Nabers @#5. The fact that Alt goes @#5 recently (Wu's observation along with mine) suggests that Alt and Nabers are very evenly ranked or valued by the writers.

No blowing smoke... no walking back.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

So is "Nabers is the best WR I've ever scouted"... It's OK to lie during Liar's Month. It's kind of expected.
        expressly why I would pass on Nabers.... Hortiz likely told him he's the best WR he's ever scouted.... Malik took that to mean he'll be a Charger before the months out, and....

truth be told, just because you're the best receiver, doesn't mean you're the best receiver for the Chargers to draft.

dude can't keep his chit under the hood.... he just spells distraction after distraction.... def not the Spanos way, and doubtful that ol' Jim would relish that neither ??

personally would pick Odunze outta the three, as just like Keenan went to Chitown and as it was his prerogative, Marvin opted out of the Combine, and of which was his prerogative as well, and....

am going w/the guy who went Marshall Faulk on things, showed up @the 'Bine, and let it be known he is here to compete.... just seems a whole lot more reliable than the other two guys, and....

don't think you can unequivocally say that the other two are gonna absolutely be better than him ?? and of course, they could be, and.... personally would hedge my bets w/Odunze, as fairly certain he's got the requisite talent and is gonna be a hellah good wideout in the League.... buyers beware,
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Give me any name you please @OT or OG in the 3rd or 4th round... and I'll give you a defensive player (round 3) or WR/RB (round 4) that are much better.
          Assuming that your draft acumen is world class, its not good enough to find better, one wants a quality wide receiver.

So, I looked at the last 20 drafts - each draft since 2003, and here is what I dug up regarding day 3 studs and others:

The top group:

1. Amon - ra St. Brown
          2. Tyreek Hill
          3. Stephon Diggs
          4. Antonio Brown
          5. Pucua (who still needs to show that he can sustain his production)
          6. Marvin Jones

It's a pretty decent list over 20 drafts - you can hit lightning in a bottle every 3 - 4 drafts; the problem with it however is two fold:

Issue #1: After Jones, there is a big dropoff in the quality of day 3 receivers: Matavis Bryant / Gabriel Davis;
          & then an even bigger drop off: Donavon Peoples Jones / Jerricho Crotchery /Hunter Renfrow /Garry Jennings
          & then a lot of receiver #4s: Legedu Nanee, etc.

issue #2: The best 3 or 4 of them, a long with Matavis Bryant, have had behavior issues, and their availability on day 3 stems from character issues.

Now Boltnut,

If you can inform us of a complete scum bag with great skills, that is sure to drop to day 3, past the ever vigilant eyes of Andy Reid,
          then day 3 is the way to go.

Otherwise, defenses will be putting 8 - 9 people in the box all game, daring us to throw.

Good look in Joe Alt finessing that with his reaching targets and looking for multiple blocks while occasionally getting rag dolled by a much stronger DT.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Without a trade-back, I don't see a RT @#37 as a sure thing in the draft. You're gambling that Morgan or Suamataia will be there @#37. FA RT are free agents for a reason. None of them can dominate in the run game like Fuaga.

Fuaga + #23 pick can not be matched by [insert favorite prospect here]. The #23 pick will not be a ham sandwich or bag of Doritos. It will be full-blown meat-and-potatoes. Something for Minter to sink his teeth into... not mere table scraps.

Get your later round WR or TE. Get your WR and TE in FA.
            Value @WR in the 4th round is worth researching. That's why we're visiting those guys this year. Early 4th round this year is WR heaven.
            So tempting to go wideout early, but u have a point...Fuaga + one of these guys would be totally trick:

image.png

Comment

• ChargerTrader
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

expressly why I would pass on Nabers.... Hortiz likely told him he's the best WR he's ever scouted.... Malik took that to mean he'll be a Charger before the months out, and....

truth be told, just because you're the best receiver, doesn't mean you're the best receiver for the Chargers to draft.

dude can't keep his chit under the hood.... he just spells distraction after distraction.... def not the Spanos way, and doubtful that ol' Jim would relish that neither ??

personally would pick Odunze outta the three, as just like Keenan went to Chitown and as it was his prerogative, Marvin opted out of the Combine, and of which was his prerogative as well, and....

am going w/the guy who went Marshall Faulk on things, showed up @the 'Bine, and let it be known he is here to compete.... just seems a whole lot more reliable than the other two guys, and....

don't think you can unequivocally say that the other two are gonna absolutely be better than him ?? and of course, they could be, and.... personally would hedge my bets w/Odunze, as fairly certain he's got the requisite talent and is gonna be a hellah good wideout in the League.... buyers beware,
              I expect that Joe told him that as part of a test... To see how he would process this feedback real time in the room, but also if he would publicize it later on.

In April, every action taken by a draft candidate is analyzed.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Remember, Harbaugh said that your actions should speak so loud, that we don't need to hear you talk.

Actions over words.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Who are your starting WRs in 21 personnel?
                  QJ and JP as of now. QJ out wide on the weak side, JP on strong side.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Assuming that your draft acumen is world class, its not good enough to find better, one wants a quality wide receiver.

So, I looked at the last 20 drafts - each draft since 2003, and here is what I dug up regarding day 3 studs and others:

The top group:

1. Amon - ra St. Brown
                    2. Tyreek Hill
                    3. Stephon Diggs
                    4. Antonio Brown
                    5. Pucua (who still needs to show that he can sustain his production)
                    6. Marvin Jones

It's a pretty decent list over 20 drafts - you can hit lightning in a bottle every 3 - 4 drafts; the problem with it however is two fold:
                    Day 3? these are gems you have to get lucky on. For every 1 of these guys there's multiple other WRs that were busts.

A quick look at these guys in terms of why they fell? Small? Hill and AB are the best and are 5-10. Probably ran slow 40 times too? AB and Pacua are 4.57 guys. Small school sammy like AB? Or the scouting is they're simply slot guys like a Stephon Diggs?

The most common denominator for these guys are they developed under a good offense and good QB.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Given that we need a center of the future in this draft, this is good to know.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

The tone of my posts have been consistent. The trade-back nets us the best run-blocking RT in the draft (Fuaga). Along with that trade-back comes the #23 pick (which I absolutely love).

If the Cardinals move out of the #4 spot... they are going to miss out on a Big-3 WR. In that unlikely scenario, we would probably take MHJ (as he is the best player in the draft IMO). Not my preferred pick... but Hortiz is a BPA guy and would take MHJ.

In the more-likely scenario (Cards take MHJ @#4) we would probably trade-back with Minnesota (Hortiz philosophy to accumulate picks). But in the unlikely event that Minnesota is not willing to trade up (using the #11 and acquired #23 pick)... then Joe Alt would fit the Harbaugh/Roman philosophy better than Nabers @#5. The fact that Alt goes @#5 recently (Wu's observation along with mine) suggests that Alt and Nabers are very evenly ranked or valued by the writers.

No blowing smoke... no walking back.
                        well, just to refresh your actual post that I commented on, others are free to decide if your tone is always consistent - you said:

If Hortiz actually picks Nabers @#5... he is blatantly lying about wanting to run the ball and protecting the QB... he would be blatantly ignoring all the tape he has on Plumpkins.
                        your post now is very different to me. No big - whatever. I found it offensive you'd say Hortiz is a blatant liar. no need to beat this to death, its all good.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          I am the dude here who subscribes to Brandon Thorn's Trench Warfare Substack. He did a session with Alt back in February. There is a lot of detailed and visual information. Since you do not put much weight in my takes, well, the subscription is very economical.
                          Its not you Wu...or me, or anyone here. If we had a podcast we would be have it posted here as something real since for some reason podcasters apparently have more insight.

Comment

Working...
                          X