• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

sorry is right.... Bowers ain't gonna hold a candle to Keenan into his 30s, and the YAC argument is what got us QJ, and.... Everett isn't a YAC slouch himself.

and what Herbert needs is some protection....
    Everett. Seriously?? He is ok at YAC but is a very very average TE with a very MEH career and he doesnt block. He got 400 yards last year. In a 7 year career he has hit 500 yards receiving ONCE. Not that 500 is impressive to begin with

Our TE room was among the worst in the NFL last year. I have higher aspirations for the position than you. So will Harbaugh.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

But you can't say with any certainty that he will be that good - #5 overall good - in the NFL.
      Can’t you say that same thing about every college player? I get if guys want an OT or WR instead of TE, or even CB or Edge (no real top tier talents are identifiable for those positions but hey).

but the questions about Bower being elite are rather singularly focused, aren’t they? He made his distinctive mark in college at his position all four years as much as any player did, no? Who’s to say Alt will be a pro bowl OT when he’s not playing against the likes of Navy, Central MI, Stanford and Wake Forest? I sure don’t see him as the best OT prospect in the last decade, but who knows.

The arguments seem to be little more than “yeah, but maybe not!”
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I'm not in the groupthink that there are no edge rushers worth drafting fifth overall. There are three I like a lot and won't be upset at all if we pick one of them fifth if we can't trade down. (Trading down is my preference regardless, since I'm not in love with any prospect in this draft).

And please, as I asked someone else, tell me who these "scouts" are claiming Bowers is the best tight end prospect in ten years or ever. Mel Kiper, Walter Football, and the people on this forum are not professional scouts.
        Are you a professional scout? You know more than the universe? Do tell… which edge rusher will be the best in the NFL?

I like Bowers. I’m not doctrinaire that he is the only worthy pick, I’ve said that a lot. I don’t get the anti-Bowers club though - he is the best TE, by all appearances and data he is better than every TE taken last year that this entire forum salivated over. Chargers are in serious need of an elite TE - elite TEs DO make a difference in wins and losses in the league now. Chargers also need to get tougher, and Bowers plays tougher than TE’s we have had for years. He’s got fight in him, he has the intangible dog in him I want to see the team get more of.

I like Nabers a lot too. He’s got an “it” factor we don’t have in the WR room. Many like Odunze even more. I like em both but think Nabers will be more explosive
        I like Alt. I just don’t think he’s the greatest can’t-skip OT some do.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Are you a professional scout? You know more than the universe? Do tell… which edge rusher will be the best in the NFL?

I like Bowers. I’m not doctrinaire that he is the only worthy pick, I’ve said that a lot. I don’t get the anti-Bowers club though - he is the best TE, by all appearances and data he is better than every TE taken last year that this entire forum salivated over. Chargers are in serious need of an elite TE - elite TEs DO make a difference in wins and losses in the league now. Chargers also need to get tougher, and Bowers plays tougher than TE’s we have had for years. He’s got fight in him, he has the intangible dog in him I want to see the team get more of.

I like Nabers a lot too. He’s got an “it” factor we don’t have in the WR room. Many like Odunze even more. I like em both but think Nabers will be more explosive
          I like Alt. I just don’t think he’s the greatest can’t-skip OT some do.
          Alt looks solid, but this is not Ogden or Pace a must have LT. Further the Chargers need a RT. The main reason I dont want Alt at 5 because there will 8 tackles drafted in the first round most likely. This screams of trade down if you want to take a tackle to replace Pipkens.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Can’t you say that same thing about every college player?
            Yes. And that is my point. If you’re drafting in the top 5 but are set at QB and LT (which is rare), trade down. Let some team desperate for a QB overpay you for your top five pick.

Comment

• bman6555
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Bowers is a good prospect. But not at #5. IMV.

Joe Hortiz could do very well to put #5 pick up for trade.

Exactly this!
              Imagine there is no Bowers in the draft and we tried to trade our #5 pick for another teams TE. We could get Kittle, Kelce, Andrews, LaPorta, or any other TE easily for the 5th pick.
              Therefore the only way Bowers is worthwhile at #5 is if he is better than all of them which is a very tall order.

Given we don't have any massive holes (pending FA/cap compliance moves) it makes sense to trade down and extract maximum value from our pick rather than overdraft a TE.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Yes. And that is my point. If you’re drafting in the top 5 but are set at QB and LT (which is rare), trade down. Let some team desperate for a QB overpay you for your top five pick.
                Ahhh. I’m not opposed to trade down, it just depends on the offer.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post

Exactly this!
                  Imagine there is no Bowers in the draft and we tried to trade our #5 pick for another teams TE. We could get Kittle, Kelce, Andrews, LaPorta, or any other TE easily for the 5th pick.
                  Therefore the only way Bowers is worthwhile at #5 is if he is better than all of them which is a very tall order.

Given we don't have any massive holes (pending FA/cap compliance moves) it makes sense to trade down and extract maximum value from our pick rather than overdraft a TE.
                  We have massive holes: RB, TE, OG, OC, CB, IDL, LB, not to mention EDGE and WR if we part ways with all of the big four…so yes, trade down would be wise.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

It s a valid point, but as Joe Hortiz said, you need a dance partner. If the top 3 tier go in top 3 picks, there might not be demand to trade to 5 for 2nd tier QBs. Maybe some great combines could change that.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

It s a valid point, but as Joe Hortiz said, you need a dance partner. If the top 3 tier go in top 3 picks, there might not be demand to trade to 5 for 2nd tier QBs. Maybe some great combines could change that.
                      Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will go in the top 3 picks. But there are so many QB-needy teams in this draft, I won't be surprised if Jayden Daniels, Michael Pennix and even Bo Nix go in the top 10. The Chargers can cash in on this.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will go in the top 3 picks. But there are so many QB-needy teams in this draft, I won't be surprised if Jayden Daniels, Michael Pennix and even Bo Nix go in the top 10. The Chargers can cash in on this.
                        I am looking at Daniels going at 3. That is why I say I dont know if any team is trading up to 5 for Nix, McCarthy or Penix. If Daniels somhow lasts to 5, we are in business to trade down.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Lol you keep quoting Walter Football. You must visit there, I have never taken their opinions seriously and cant even rememeber last time I went there.

I would reccommend NFL Stock Exchange for draft discussions and rankings. Entertaining and knowledgeable, Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rodgers are excellent, They know thier shit, they watch film all year and attended the Senior Bowl and will do Combine. Two rising young stars in the NFL media world.

I also care what Jerimiah says though some on this board think they know more than DJ..I will take the opinion of the guy that does this for a living and has been paid by 3 NFL teams as a scout, including the Baltimore Ravens.
                          NFL Stock Exchange? Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rodgers. OK, do what you want with that. LOL.

Walter Football is one of the oldest mock draft sites. I don't take it seriously at all.

I don't think anyone here believes they know more than Daniel Jeremiah, but he's been out of the NFL since 2012. He's no more of a scout right now than Brandon Staley is a head coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X