• Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Nice try. That's not what I'm saying.
    Trey Pipkins barely got on the field his 1st 3 years. When he did... he sucked. He was so bad even Storm Norton started in front of him.
    Whereas, Salyer started at LT as a rookie when Slater went down a few games into the season. He outplayed Pipkins @OT... as a rookie!
    Zion started... as a rookie! He played out of position @RG... then had to switch to LG last year... 2nd year.
    Keep Zion @LG... that was his position in college... where he had outstanding tape.
    Both of those guys have way more potential than Pipkins.
    Do they all need to improve...? Yes.
    But if you can improve an important position... like RT... you do it.
    Pipkins has had 5 years to show what he has.
    I'll trust this new staff to get these guys playing their best...will you be able to trust the new coaches if they keep pipkins as starting RT? OR if they focus elsewhere in the draft instead of taking a new OT high?
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I'll trust this new staff to get these guys playing their best...will you be able to trust the new coaches if they keep pipkins as starting RT? OR if they focus elsewhere in the draft instead of taking a new OT high?
      If they can get Pipkins to block... they are miracle workers.
      I've always said there are a lot of different ways to approach the draft.
      OT is not even my 1st preference. I'd rather they trade back and get a CB.

Comment

• AFboltfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2018
        • Balboa Park bench
        • Medical Simulation
        • Send PM

An OT is too high for #5 for this team right now.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
          An OT is too high for #5 for this team right now.
          I've been advocating for OL high in the draft for years, but this year it seems like a luxury because we already have two OTs locked up...that being said, this class features some fantastic prospects at OT and that cannot be overlooked, sometimes you just have to take the BPA because they are too good to pass up even if the team has other needs...I could never be upset about the Chargers taking OL high in the draft unless the prospect is garbage or comes from Alabama, the tide cannot seem to put out good NFL OL despite getting some of the best recruits in the nation...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Having the 5th pick is a gift. You can trade back and pick up an extra 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (or a combination of them) to build depth in a team that lacks depth... and has older/expensive players that are near the ends of their careers. To obsess over 1 player (or another) just doesn't inspire me... and seems like a lost opportunity. There is no way to tell if players #5-8 will be any better than players #9-13. Take what "experts" say with a grain of salt... especially this time of year.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I can see us picking a TE but id be shocked if we drafted a WR in the first round. I really like Nabers and Odunze as well but WR would be BPA and not what we really need and nothing wrong with BPA but we have so many holes to fill. In a trade down i think we go Bowers, CB, OL, or Edge. WR can be had later. Just my humble opinion.

My guy is Bowers but i wouldnt be terribly upset if we went another direction. Those i listed are needs and no DT is worth the top 8 or 10 so id be good with either, though a tad grumpy missing Bowers
              Ideal scenario would be to trade down staying in the top 10 and taking Bowers. If you honestly look at the only 2 positions that make sense that high are WR and TE. You can make an argument that WR doesn't even make sense that high for the Chargers. There is no DT, EDGE, or CB worth that high of a pick so those are probably out. They have 2 tackles on the team already so likely OT is out and really only LOT is worth that high of a pick. WR is likely out because they are likely bringing back KA and the have a nice stable of WRs already. QJ needs to pick up his game though. Really Bowers seems to be the one that makes the most sense atm. Now that could change depending on what happens between now and the draft.
              1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
              2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
              2b- #37 Jenkins DT
              3a- #66 Puni OT
              3b- #69 Sainristill CB
              4a- #105 Rice WR
              4b- #110 Lloyd RB
              5- #140 Green CB
              6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Icebolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Would we trade one elite talent for 2 or 3 good players? More bodies isn't always better than more talent.
                MHJ, Bowers, Nabers, Odunze. How far can we go and still get one?
                We have a great QB. I want him to have multiple very good to great pass catchers. 1 or 2 ain't enough and picking later, we'll need luck.
                I keep stating the you need to protect the QB first, otherwise those weapons aren't as good. I have also stated that Detroit "could not pass on a world class WR" and did it 4 times in a 6 year window. They did end up being real good but did not make them better.
                ALSO, keep in mind that JH, by the looks of his hires, is trying to build the 2013 Niners. Big tough OL.

Comment

• northerner
                  Charger fan since '79
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

I keep stating the you need to protect the QB first, otherwise those weapons aren't as good. I have also stated that Detroit "could not pass on a world class WR" and did it 4 times in a 6 year window. They did end up being real good but did not make them better.
                  ALSO, keep in mind that JH, by the looks of his hires, is trying to build the 2013 Niners. Big tough OL.
                  i remember Detroit's run on WR's, but the great WR's need a QB. look at the Pats, sometimes Brady had great WR's and TE, and sometimes he had avg guys. he made them all look good. the accurate QB makes it all go. the WR's are dependent on the QB.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Having the 5th pick is a gift. You can trade back and pick up an extra 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (or a combination of them) to build depth in a team that lacks depth... and has older/expensive players that are near the ends of their careers. To obsess over 1 player (or another) just doesn't inspire me... and seems like a lost opportunity. There is no way to tell if players #5-8 will be any better than players #9-13. Take what "experts" say with a grain of salt... especially this time of year.
                    I would disagree if TT was drafting, but with Hortiz? I think the trade down potential is too good to pass up, not only could they end up getting an extra day two pick for 2024 but also for 2025...trust the process...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I would disagree if TT was drafting, but with Hortiz? I think the trade down potential is too good to pass up, not only could they end up getting an extra day two pick for 2024 but also for 2025...trust the process...
                      TT was the epitome of drafting a player based on his obsession over a player. We saw it at the beginning of his career with the drafting of DJ Fluker and Manti Teo. Later we saw him obsess over Melvin Gordon and K9. The last draft, he fell in love with Quentin Johnson and his "traits". Many of those picks were overdrafts and/or traded picks to move up. That left us with poor depth. Sometimes it led to poor economic decisions (JCJ).

It's time to finally start thinking about trade-backs to make up for the many roster spots that have poor depth.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

TT was the epitome of drafting a player based on his obsession over a player. We saw it at the beginning of his career with the drafting of DJ Fluker and Manti Teo. Later we saw him obsess over Melvin Gordon and K9. The last draft, he fell in love with Quentin Johnson and his "traits". Many of those picks were overdrafts and/or traded picks to move up. That left us with poor depth. Sometimes it led to poor economic decisions (JCJ).

It's time to finally start thinking about trade-backs to make up for the many roster spots that have poor depth.
                        I was talking to one of my coworkers this morning and he's a life long diehard Raiders fan, otherwise he's an okay guy, but he's been moping around for over a week now. I asked him if everything was okay and he told me that he's living in a fucked up alternate reality due to what's been happening at the Raiders, he said, "it's bad enough that we've been picking up ex-chargers left and right the last few years but now the coach we wanted picked the Chargers over us and if that wasn't bad enough our OC choice backed out and went to Washington and the POS GM that the chargers fired is our new GM and then we picked up the OC from one of the worse offensive teams in football!" LOL! I thought he was going to cry...I almost felt sorry for the guy, but after years of hearing all his shit talk and mocking my chargers, nah, no sympathy from me

Comment

• AFboltfan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2018
                          • Balboa Park bench
                          • Medical Simulation
                          • Send PM

I agree with you but I think the Fluker pick was more of a desperation necessity. He was basically the only OT left in the first round, there was a huge run before our pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X