• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Gonna have to disgree with you take on the "numerous pundits". Bowers is occasionally in the teens in mock drafts but i woudnt call it numerous. He is , by far, the most mocked player to the Chargers at 5
    46 % or so,
    depending on the day of the week.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Would you rather have Sarrell backing up Salyer @RT or Slater @LT should someone get hurt?
      The contract was stupid. He'll be on the roster no matter what. Do you want him starting?
      He can be cut next year for cap savings.
      Trey wasn't the only guy on that line that had a bad year, they all did, even Slater didn't play up to his previous standard...I know you don't like Trey and that you didn't want the team to resign him last year but why give the other guys a pass and bench pipkins in your scenario? Seems like you found a scapegoat thru confirmation bias. I would make the argument that Zion and Salyer played even worse than Trey last season. I don't have the statistics but to me from watching the games it seemed that the amount of pressure given up the middle exceeded what came from around the edge. What's with the double standard, is it just the contract or feelings about the player before he even got the contract?

To me it's obvious that the O-line fell apart after Linsley (they were kicking ass) became ill and the longer Corey was out the more they continued to regress as a unit as injuries piled on and the season spiraled out of control...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
        Let's do this!
        • Aug 2022
        • Raleigh N. Carolina
        • Send PM

I've stated this before but with the others holes and the $$ tied up in the O line you almost have to try this lineup with a quality Center and better coaching.

And then cross your fingers...

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
          I've stated this before but with the others holes and the $$ tied up in the O line you almost have to try this lineup with a quality Center and better coaching.

And then cross your fingers...
          Isn't the OL pretty cheap? Slater, Salyer, Johnson are all on Ronnie contracts and Pipkins isn't making a ton.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

My preference is Bowers, Nabers, Odunze at 5 ( we really cant lose sight either that the most important player in our franchise needs weapons beyond a 31 year old great possession receiver with a massive cap hit while in the rare position to get elite options) or trade down for a tackle or CB for extra draft picks.

But you are right we really dont know what Harbaugh and Hortiz will decide to do. The obvious options for value at 5 look like Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Alt. I think its one of those 4 barring trade down. I dont think it is a bad thing if we take Alt, but I think we will be drafting lineman every draft from now on.Plenty of chance to get good linemen. I just believe a baller like Bowers doesnt come along very often. You want a culture changer who plays hard and physical, can block, awesome hands and runs 4.48 he is your guy. I think he would be a blast to watch the next bunch of years. We have no one who breaks tackles and gets YAC. Everett a little but he is pretty pedestrain at the position really. He has one season of 500 yards in a 7 year career, and that isnt even a good benchmark for good TEs.

At this point, before combine, I maintain I dont see a defensive player worth a top 5 pick. The 4 I see are Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Alt. I dont hate Alt as a pick, its just my least favorite.
            Agree with you, man. If the Bolts pick at #5, Bowers, Nabers or Odunze would be the premium targets.

If Hortiz manages to trade down just, say, three spots, one of those three could STILL be available.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Agree with you, man. If the Bolts pick at #5, Bowers, Nabers or Odunze would be the premium targets.

If Hortiz manages to trade down just, say, three spots, one of those three could STILL be available.
              I would think one of those three would be there even if one the three is taken at 5 as I think the Titans will not pass on Joe Alt

Their OLine was pretty bad last year

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Would you rather have Sarrell backing up Salyer @RT or Slater @LT should someone get hurt?
                The contract was stupid. He'll be on the roster no matter what. Do you want him starting?
                He can be cut next year for cap savings.
                Pip becomes the highest paid pine-rider. No biggee, sure not making him a starter again cuz contract size, that’s 1000 times worse.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Trey wasn't the only guy on that line that had a bad year, they all did, even Slater didn't play up to his previous standard...I know you don't like Trey and that you didn't want the team to resign him last year but why give the other guys a pass and bench pipkins in your scenario? Seems like you found a scapegoat thru confirmation bias. I would make the argument that Zion and Salyer played even worse than Trey last season. I don't have the statistics but to me from watching the games it seemed that the amount of pressure given up the middle exceeded what came from around the edge. What's with the double standard, is it just the contract or feelings about the player before he even got the contract?

To me it's obvious that the O-line fell apart after Linsley (they were kicking ass) became ill and the longer Corey was out the more they continued to regress as a unit as injuries piled on and the season spiraled out of control...
                  Pip has never had a good year, ever. Zion and Salyer, yes, they’ve both played much better than Pip at his best, not even close.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Pip has never had a good year, ever. Zion and Salyer, yes, they’ve both played much better than Pip at his best, not even close.
                    In 2023 the OGs had a rough year with the change of positions and Linsley going out early season. Pip was better.
                    A weak avg maybe but better. The OGs were lousy.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

In 2023 the OGs had a rough year with the change of positions and Linsley going out early season. Pip was better.
                      A weak avg maybe but better. The OGs were lousy.
                      Well that’s a weak sauce argument. I know we’re gonna have to get by with some less than decent starters, but that’s a damn low ceiling. At least you’re not wanting to have him start cuz contract.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

That's the move I like, trade down to Atlanta for an extra 3rd or whatever the value is and still get Bowers or Odunze. I think Giants might take Nabers at 6 in that scenario.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I can see us picking a TE but id be shocked if we drafted a WR in the first round. I really like Nabers and Odunze as well but WR would be BPA and not what we really need and nothing wrong with BPA but we have so many holes to fill. In a trade down i think we go Bowers, CB, OL, or Edge. WR can be had later. Just my humble opinion.

My guy is Bowers but i wouldnt be terribly upset if we went another direction. Those i listed are needs and no DT is worth the top 8 or 10 so id be good with either, though a tad grumpy missing Bowers

Comment

Working...
                          X