• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    Prisco has posted a new mock on NFL.com Zona stays put and takes MH, which leaves us at 5 with Drake Maye on the board. RING, RING, here comes Minny for #5 and he has us getting 11, 23, a fourth (129) AND their 2025 3rd. This is the biggest haul I have seen in a mock and I kinda like it TBT. I love stashing 2025 picks and getting more 2024 capital too, It's just a win/win for us.

Now with that he has us take Quinyon Mitchell at 11 and passing on the likes of Latham, Fashanu, Bowers and Fautanu. In looking at what we passed on, I am not so sure that this is where Jim & Joe would go. Lots of beef for the O-line is passed on and a possible Gates/Rivers, Winslow/Fouts QB/TE pairing possibility for years to come. Tough choice.

At 23 we grab Brian Thomas Jr. At 6'5'' 205, with speed, he could be just what the doctor ordered for Herbie. We pass on Guyton, DeJean, Barton and also Kool-aid. This is a bit murkier water as it really depends on what we do at 11. If say we took a Bowers we could get DeJean (a nice consolation prize), Kool-Aid or that OL beef we have talked about.

Oh the possibilities run wild in my grey matter. More coffee please and cue Oingo Boingo!!!!
    He wont be there at #23... Range is #11-17...
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I think this is my favorite mock so far if we can’t trade down and accumulate picks. Though I think Odunze is the better fit at #5 with Keenan and Mike gone. Love that Odunze is willing to do anything if asked. But otherwise takes advantage of the strength of this draft in WR, CB, and DT. Also got one of my favorite late Center prospects with Keenan’s pick.

“The Beast” is here. Our draft expert Dane Brugler dropped his outrageously comprehensive prospect guide this week, and we now have access to his hundreds of detailed scouting reports and verified testing information on nearly 2,000 players.

So, of course, I will be using all that new and fascinating information to find the best draft fits for the Los Angeles Chargers.

GO DEEPER

NFL Draft 2024 ‘The Beast’ Guide: Dane Brugler’s scouting reports and player rankings

This is mock draft 3.0.

The draft begins in 14 days, and this will be my third of four mock drafts this offseason. The final mock — 4.0 — comes out the week of the draft and will be my best guess at what the Chargers will do come April 25.

Mock draft 1.0 was an appetizer for draft season. Mock draft 2.0 looked into a trade-down scenario. This version will be an initial pass through “The Beast.”

Round 1, Pick 5: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

Nabers will be my lone retread pick from previous mocks. I see two real options for the Chargers with the No. 5 pick. If they are married to drafting an offensive lineman in the first round — and that is not necessarily a bad strategy considering the many top-end tackles in this year’s class — they should look to trade down to accrue more capital. If they are not married to an offensive lineman, they should stay at No. 5 and draft one of the game-changing receivers. That group includes Nabers, Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr. and Washington’s Rome Odunze.

The Chargers have a glaring need at receiver after moving on from Mike Williams and Keenan Allen to clear cap space. They might have their pick between the three receivers if quarterbacks go in the top four picks. At worst, it feels as though they will have a chance to draft either Harrison or Nabers. If Harrison goes in the top four, Nabers would be my pick (assuming I was forced to stay at No. 5 due to a lack of trade-back options). Nabers is the exact type of receiver the Chargers have been missing for years. Notre Dame tackle Joe Alt could be an option at No. 5. He is No. 5 overall in Brugler’s rankings. I just do not see him as the same level of prospect as Nabers, and Joe Hortiz was taught in the best-player-available school of thought during his time in Baltimore.

Brugler’s scouting report: “Nabers has only average size/strength, but he offers dynamic potential, because of his ability to accelerate/decelerate on command and always make himself available with his athletic catch-point skills. He projects as a playmaking receiver in the NFL.”

GO DEEPER

Los Angeles Chargers NFL Draft 2024 guide: Picks, predictions and key needs

Round 2, Pick 37: Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan

It would not be a 2024 Chargers mock without at least one Michigan prospect. Sainristil had an exceptional senior season playing for Jim Harbaugh and defensive coordinator Jesse Minter in Ann Arbor. There is no projection in terms of fit within Harbaugh’s culture or within Minter’s scheme — though Sainristil lacks NFL size at 5-foot-9, 182 pounds. The Chargers do not have a clear plan as far as who will play in the slot this season. Derwin James Jr. can play there. Ja’Sir Taylor also has experience at nickel. Sainristil would have a clear path to starter playing time and would also build out depth at a position of need.

Brugler’s scouting report: “Sainristil has obvious size limitations that will remove him from some teams’ draft boards, but other teams will be more than happy to bet on his outstanding toughness, instincts and ball skills.”

Round 3, Pick 69: Braden Fiske, DL, Florida State

I thought about tackle, and I might end up going in that direction with my final mock. Still, there are two sides to the line of scrimmage, and the Chargers will need to beef up their defensive line if they truly want to build through the trenches. The Baltimore Ravens frequently targeted interior defensive linemen at this stage of the draft during Hortiz’s time in the personnel department. Most recently, they drafted Travis Jones in the third round at No. 76 in 2022. They also drafted Justin Madubuike in the third round at No. 71 in 2020. One more starter-level piece would give the Chargers a versatile and deep group on the interior.

At his introductory news conference,Hortiz laid out what he called the Charger mentality: “Rough, rugged and tough.” Fiske fits that mold. He has a ferocious motor and stood out at the Senior Bowl, where he was voted the top defensive lineman on the American team during the week of practice.

Brugler’s scouting report: “Fiske doesn’t have a deep arsenal of counters if he doesn’t win early, but he already has a professional mindset and his twitchy urgency and steady play strength will translate well to the pro game. He projects as a rotational three-technique with versatility to move around an aggressive front.”
      Kentucky’s Ray Davis has a lot of mileage and some injury history, but his running style is attractive. (James Gilbert / Getty Images)

Round 4, Pick 105: Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky

The third and fourth rounds appear to be the sweet spot for drafting a running back this year. Brugler has six running backs ranked between 77th and 98th. He has 12 running backs with either a third- or fourth-round grade. The Chargers need depth behind free-agent signing Gus Edwards. Blake Corum is going to be a popular option for the Chargers in the third round because of the Michigan connection. But I don’t think he will be available in the fourth round. Corum is Brugler’s RB2.

Davis is an intriguing prospect. He was used heavily over five college seasons with 746 carries. He also has a checkered injury history. But I love the way he finishes runs. He has good vision, and he has urgency in hitting holes downhill. He seems to be a fit for the running scheme offensive coordinator Greg Roman will be implementing in Los Angeles.

Brugler’s scouting report: “Davis has racked up a lot of miles and lacks explosive long speed, but his vision, cutting skills and competitive toughness are translatable traits. Although he doesn’t offer much on special teams, he can be a productive rotational back for an NFL offense.”

Round 4, Pick 110: Hunter Nourzad, IOL, Penn State

The Chargers signed center Bradley Bozeman in free agency, and he is in line to replace Corey Linsley, who is expected to retire this offseason. I was looking for a long-term center option who could both challenge Bozeman and have a chance to start at guard as a rookie. Nourzad is a fit. He earned an engineering degree from Cornell before transferring to Penn State, where he earned a master’s in business administration. In State College, he started at center in 2023 after starting eight games at guard — seven on the left side and one on the right side — in 2022. Brugler called Nourzad “technically proficient and detailed-oriented.”

Brugler’s scouting report: “Nourzad might be this year’s Tyler Biadasz, as he lacks overwhelming strength or elite athleticism but maximizes what he has with smarts, physicality and well-schooled technique. He has center-guard experience and should compete for starting reps as early as his rookie season.”

Round 5, Pick 140: Edefuan Ulofoshio, LB, Washington

Linebacker is one of the Chargers’ thinnest positions. They signed Denzel Perryman in free agency, and he is in line to start at mike linebacker. The second linebacker spot will be a competition between Daiyan Henley, Troy Dye and Nick Niemann. The Chargers need more bodies in this room. Ulofoshio played mike at Washington. He is aggressive in pursuit of the ball and has solid awareness in coverage.

Brugler scouting report: “Ulofoshio might have a capped ceiling in the NFL, but he has overachieved at every other level because of his football instincts and active play style. He has the ‘all-in’ mentality of a core special-teamer who can make a living covering kicks while competing for defensive snaps.”
      Oregon safety Evan Williams earned an Alohi Gilman comp and could add depth and competition to the secondary. (Chris Gardner / Getty Images)

Round 6, Pick 181: Evan Williams, S, Oregon
      Williams earned an Alohi Gilmancomparison from Brugler. The Chargers could use additional depth at safety. They re-signed Gilman to start next to James. JT Woods, a 2022 third-round pick, is still an unknown quantity. Woods has outstanding athletic traits, but I have not seen the vision or feel in coverage while watching him in training camp practices or in his limited game action. Woods also struggles as a tackler. AJ Finley, a 2023 undrafted free agent, showed promise as a special teams player in his rookie season. I think a Day 3 safety makes a ton of sense to create competition on the depth chart.

Brugler scouting report: “Williams doesn’t have playmaking instincts in the deep half of the field, but he is an energetic field presence with a trigger and toughness that are easy to appreciate. He projects as a backup strong safety and core special-teamer.”

Round 7, Pick 225: Chigozie Anusiem, CB, Colorado State

I like to target traits with late Day 3 picks. When I asked Minter about outside cornerback traits in February, he said, “We want that size-speed combination.” Anusiem is 6-foot-1 and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash at his pro day. He has a translatable press-man skill set and frame.

Brugler’s scouting report: “Anusiem’s lack of on-ball production is concerning, but he plays with an edge and has the height/weight/speed blend that is coveted by NFL teams.”

Round 7, Pick 253: Myles Cole, edge, Texas Tech

The Chargers’ edge room is in good shape after they were able to retain both Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. Tuli Tuipulotureturns after an outstanding rookie season. The fourth edge-rushing spot feels up for grabs. Chris Rumph II has battled injuries and will have a lot to prove through the spring and summer. The Chargers also have 2023 undrafted free agents Andrew Farmer and Brevin Allenreturning, along with practice-squader Ty Shelby. I like another piece to add competition for that fourth spot on the depth chart. Cole is 6-foot-6 with nearly 37-inch arms. Despite that frame, he ranked in the 71st percentile or above in 40 time, broad jump and vertical jump, according to MockDraftable. He has some traits to work with.

Brugler scouting report: “Cole is a persistent power rusher with leg drive and elite length, although his immature instincts (rushing the passer and setting the edge) will make him a project in the NFL. His tools are more interesting than his playmaking talent.”

Comment

• Jack Burton
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        I think this is my favorite mock so far if we can’t trade down and accumulate picks. Though I think Odunze is the better fit at #5 with Keenan and Mike gone. Love that Odunze is willing to do anything if asked. But otherwise takes advantage of the strength of this draft in WR, CB, and DT. Also got one of my favorite late Center prospects with Keenan’s pick.

I like it, but he’s crazy if he thinks Fiske gets anywhere near pick 69. He’ll be long gone….hell, he might be gone by 37. I just don’t think Sanrisil goes that high. I’d switch those two and it would make a bit more sense.

Comment

• Jrock1970
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2024
          • Send PM

A different approach with decent returns i think
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jrock1970 View Post
            A different approach with decent returns i think
            Suddenly all these players are being taken 2 rounds later than where they probably will go..

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I like it, but he’s crazy if he thinks Fiske gets anywhere near pick 69. He’ll be long gone….hell, he might be gone by 37. I just don’t think Sanrisil goes that high. I’d switch those two and it would make a bit more sense.
              Yeah I would switch rounds for those two. But he’s going by Brugler’s guide for these picks and Brugler seems to be lower on Fiske.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah I would switch rounds for those two. But he’s going by Brugler’s guide for these picks and Brugler seems to be lower on Fiske.
                I liked the mock as well. If the Chargers do not trade down - would not be disappointed in that one at all...

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I liked the mock as well. If the Chargers do not trade down - would not be disappointed in that one at all...
                  We’ll probably need to get more OL depth via FA if this is the mock though. As well as another WR.

Comment

• Jrock1970
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2024
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Suddenly all these players are being taken 2 rounds later than where they probably will go..
                    Yeah...I've noticed that as well...lol. It would be alot easier to mock if we had a general consensus of actual NFL teams ranking of prospects instead of media analysts.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

He wont be there at #23... Range is #11-17...
                      That was Prisco's pick. And ya never know......

Comment

• LarryAW
                        Chargers fan since 1970
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Chula Vista, CA
                        • retired paralegal/court reporter
                        • Send PM

What happens if they stay at Pick #5, and I suffer a serious episode of PTSD (Post-Telesco Stress Disorder)?

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

This is why I don't mind if they trade down to accumulate more draft picks in rnds 2-4. So many good players in that range.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X