Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Alex Smith logo:
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

WR Martavis Bryant anyone? He's 6-5 and 200 from Clemson.

He's reportedly shined in workouts according to Kiper.

What round does he fall to?
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The thing ends up being, was it Mathews size that was important, his speed or his quickness?
        Don't over-engineer things. It's all about size.

/chasm

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

I don't buy into this void at CB talk but here's one dudes take....

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

NFL Draft Needs: Chargers
            Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tweet

Evan Silva (@EvanSilva) is the Senior Football Editor for Rotoworld's NFL Page, and Josh Norris (@JoshNorris) leads Rotoworld's college football and NFL draft coverage. Together, they're breaking down every team's biggest needs and offering potential solutions in May's draft.

For a breakdown on every team, check out the team-by team draft preview schedule.

No. 1 Team Need: Cornerback

Silva's analysis

There wasn't a team in football with less effective cornerback play last season. Shareece Wright, Richard Marshall, and Derek Cox finished 1-2-3 on the Chargers in cornerback snaps, and all three ranked among Pro Football Focus' bottom-ten CBs, out of 110 qualifiers. Cox was cut, Marshall is back on a veteran minimum deal, and no upgrades were made due to cap limitations.

Norris' options

First day option: Jason Verrett, TCU - Do not pigeon hole Verrett as solely a slot corner. He is so much more. I know he is under 5’10”, but Verrett plays the ball at the catch point better than any other corner in this class thanks to vision, anticipation, aggression, and timing. He deflected, broke up, or intercepted one out of every three targets thrown his way in 2013. Verrett has a real chance of being the top corner from this class.

Second day possibility: Terrance Mitchell, Oregon - Mitchell is one of my favorite third- or fourth-round picks. I know he ran a 4.6+ forty at the Combine, but he allowed a low completion percentage on intermediate and vertical passes, per Greg Peshek. Mitchell played at a high level as a press corner or when giving his opposition space at the line of scrimmage.

Third day flier: Bene Benwikere, San Jose State - Benwikere has slot experience, something that is tough to find out of the college level. These types of prospects have to be call in trash, has their vision might be blurred thanks to playing in tight spaces. Benwikere has very good ball skills. Some think he is on the path to moving to safety.

No. 2 Team Need: Nose Tackle

Silva's analysis

San Diego coughed up 4.59 yards per carry in 2013, the sixth highest clip in the NFL. Incumbent NT Cam Thomas left for Pittsburgh, while journeyman-type Sean Lissemore is left atop the depth chart at nose. Cornerback and "zero technique" are easily the biggest weaknesses on what otherwise should be an improved Bolts defense. DC John Pagano needs a space eater inside.

Norris' options

First day option: Louis Nix, Notre Dame - Nix is the only true zero-technique who should be selected in the first-round. In fact, I consider him a top 15 talent. Not only can Nix hold the point of attack to free up other defenders, he can reset the line of scrimmage when single blocked and shed to make a play at the line of scrimmage. I think Nix’s evaluation is more what he showed in 2012 rather than 2013.

Second day possibility: DaQuan Jones, Penn State - Jones is not frequently mentioned for this position, but I believe his skills could fit it. Jones can anchor very well, bending at the knee and absorbing in his lower half. I see a strong upper body and active hands with the hopes of creating separation and shedding.

Third day flier: Khyri Thornton, Southern Miss - I will go on record saying I would rather have Thornton in the fifth-round than draft Timmy Jernigan in the second. Thornton is more of an upfield penetrator thanks to his explosive first movements. He definitely needs to improve his backfield vision, however.

No. 3 Team Need: Wide Receiver

Silva's analysis

Rookie GM Tom Telesco stole Keenan Allen in last year's draft, but the rest of San Diego's wideout corps is subpar at best. Middling slot receiver Eddie Royal had to take a pay cut to return. Vincent Brown played so poorly in '13 that his roster spot may be in danger. Reports indicate 32-year-old Malcom Floyd's neck injury is career threatening, and Danario Alexander is a free agent. Complementing route-running maven Allen with a big-play perimeter threat would make sense.

Norris' options

First day option: Cody Latimer, Indiana - Latimer continues to draw first-round buzz. He checks many of the boxes: big, fast, strong and has a game that is progressing. I wish Latimer created a bit more separation on the ground, but he fights for positioning and rarely drops the ball. He flashes strength after the catch.

Second day possibility: Martavis Bryant, Clemson - Perhaps the most intriguing receiver in this class if the progression continues, Bryant has tons of straight-line speed and appeared to take a step forward down the stretch. He might take a Torrey Smith-like path, in terms of focusing on vertical routes early on while gaining more comfort in routes and contested catches.

Third day flier: Chandler Jones, San Jose State - Jones is a true day three pick, possibly even the sixth- or seventh-round. He isn’t overly exciting in any area, but Jones has enough speed, can time catches to win over corners, or work in the slot.

Video: Norris on San Diego's top need

Chargers 2014 Draft Picks (7)

First Round (No. 25)

Second Round (No. 57)

Third Round (No. 89)

Fourth Round (No. 125)

Fifth Round (No. 165)

Sixth Round (No. 201)

Seventh Round (No. 240)

Current Chargers First-Team Offense

QB: Philip Rivers

RB: Ryan Mathews

WR: Keenan Allen

WR: Eddie Royal

TE: Antonio Gates

TE: Ladarius Green

LT: King Dunlap

LG: Chad Rinehart

C: Nick Hardwick

RG: Jeromey Clary

RT: D.J. Fluker

Current Chargers First-Team Defense

RE: Corey Liuget

LE: Kendall Reyes

NT: Sean Lissemore

ILB: Manti Te'o

ILB: Donald Butler

OLB: Dwight Freeney

OLB: Melvin Ingram

LCB: Shareece Wright

RCB: Richard Marshall

FS: Eric Weddle

SS: Marcus Gilchrist

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

First day option: Jason Verrett, TCU - Do not pigeon hole Verrett as solely a slot corner. He is so much more. I know he is under 5’10”, but Verrett plays the ball at the catch point better than any other corner in this class thanks to vision, anticipation, aggression, and timing. He deflected, broke up, or intercepted one out of every three targets thrown his way in 2013. Verrett has a real chance of being the top corner from this class.

That's as good a performance as I've ever heard of for a CB.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

First day option: Cody Latimer, Indiana - Latimer continues to draw first-round buzz. He checks many of the boxes: big, fast, strong and has a game that is progressing. I wish Latimer created a bit more separation on the ground, but he fights for positioning and rarely drops the ball. He flashes strength after the catch.
                Surprise
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

That's as good a performance as I've ever heard of for a CB.

Yeah, but he's too small. He only has a 1.5327 Catch Radius Apex Probability, or so I heard.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    Yeah, but he's too small. He only has a 1.5327 Catch Radius Apex Probability, or so I heard.
                    And that's with some round off error.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      Keep in mind that Donald Brown was on teams with Joseph Addai and Trent Richardson. Of course his numbers aren't going to be similar to a featured back on another team. Brown showed some serious promise last season after he finally became "the guy".
                      Two guys that didn't do much when Brown was there. Brown did nothing til last season. I think it just took longer for his light to come on.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                        WR Martavis Bryant anyone? He's 6-5 and 200 from Clemson.

He's reportedly shined in workouts according to Kiper.

What round does he fall to?
                        The only problem I have with Bryant is that he drops a lot of passes. But how much of that is due to not having a really accurate QB? Tajh Boyd is really not consistently accurate.

I would take Bryant as a middle or late round flyer. Good speed and incredibly athletic. Just needs to improve his hands.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

I think those numbers come up short.
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X