• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I would not favor that approach. Rosen has not impressed me so far (granted, only one season and with a bad team) and I do not see the wisdom in having a QB sit for his entire or virtually his entire rookie contract behind Rivers.

Also, the Chargers are a Super Bowl contender. Trading draft picks that could be used to put the final touches on a potential Super Bowl team also makes no sense to me.

That said, I favor the Chargers being all in on Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft.
    I agree ...

BUT if the asking price is really only a third I would still be tempted. He played behind a god awful line, Fitz was hurt the first 10 weeks and #2 option was a rookie. He lacked a security blanket TE, and had McCoy as an OC. Only guy that could waste David Johnson's talents. Perfect shit storm and could be a really nice buy low candidate, especially since AZ will have payed out his bonus $. Cheap money wise and a third isn't that much to give up IMO (or a second next year). Like the risk to reward is all I am sayin.

Comment

• The Franchise
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I agree ...

BUT if the asking price is really only a third I would still be tempted. He played behind a god awful line, Fitz was hurt the first 10 weeks and #2 option was a rookie. He lacked a security blanket TE, and had McCoy as an OC. Only guy that could waste David Johnson's talents. Perfect shit storm and could be a really nice buy low candidate, especially since AZ will have payed out his bonus $. Cheap money wise and a third isn't that much to give up IMO (or a second next year). Like the risk to reward is all I am sayin.
      It's a hard pass on Rosen. That guy is absolute trash and will be out of the league (or relegated to back up duty) within 2 years. If he was worth anything close to a franchise QB, there is no way AZ would want to dump him less than a year after taking him 10th overall.

I watched him continuously kill drives by not even glancing at his wide open relief valve player (who also happens to be the best player on that team in David Johnson), only to take a sack, throw a pick, or throw an incompletion... all killing drives. There isn't a 5th round pick or above, I'd be willing to part with for him.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        Unless you think the combo of Lamp and Tevi on the right side is going to be a step up from what we had last year, AND Okung has at least 2 to 3 more solid years left as the blind side protector...you have to go OL early. It's a tough pill for some to swallow, especially considering all that defensive talent that will likely be left at 28...I mean, there are defensive players that will be taken late in the first, early second, that will be every bit the pros that the players picked in the top half ot the first will be.

But look at the bright side...thanks to all the talented defenders, and the annual reach for QBs that is sure to happen before we pick, we could see a top 2 or 3 Tackle prospect fall to us.

On the other hand, the FA pool for Olinemen is weak...and this may force other teams to scoop up those olinemen in the draft before we pick. That may net us an outstanding defensive prospect, but we will have to hope for a vet released late in FA, comparable to Pouncey, to help us out.

Me....love to go defense in the first...but unless we feel we have the guys already here to enable the line play to take a step up this year...our first pick is probably our only opportunity to change that situation.....I just don't see us improving over what we have with what is currently available in FA or day 2 of the draft.
        Pretty much same page, although three of our OL starters are non-first round picks. Maybe not the best players in the league but we have found starters in later rounds (had even better luck than with our early picks!).

Right now very convinced a top D talent slips to us.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by The Franchise View Post
          It's a hard pass on Rosen. That guy is absolute trash and will be out of the league (or relegated to back up duty) within 2 years. If he was worth anything close to a franchise QB, there is no way AZ would want to dump him less than a year after taking him 10th overall.

I watched him continuously kill drives by not even glancing at his wide open relief valve player (who also happens to be the best player on that team in David Johnson), only to take a sack, throw a pick, or throw an incompletion... all killing drives. There isn't a 5th round pick or above, I'd be willing to part with for him.
          Maybe he will and maybe he won't...I still like the value as a third rd pick and they paid his bonus.

EFE5D119-3579-4F9F-9DEB-910E131C2698.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I agree ...

What reward? He will sit the bench for three years (assuming there is gonna be an extension) unless the current most consecutive games played QB gets hurt. Same guy that played with a torn ACL. Besides, like I said earlier, Washington will outbid us and they badly need a QB.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Pretty much same page, although three of our OL starters are non-first round picks. Maybe not the best players in the league but we have found starters in later rounds (had even better luck than with our early picks!).

We have 2 - 1sts, 2 - 3rds, 1 - 6th as our starters as of now with a 1 - 2nd & 1 - 5th waiting in the wings. No one can say we haven't invested in the Oline. Howver, the on field results have been inconsistent.

I hope a top 15 talent, either side of the ball, falls to us.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What reward? He will sit the bench for three years unless the current most consecutive games played QB gets hurt. Same guy that played with a torn ACL.
                Rivers is a FA in 2020, so as of right now he would not be sitting 3 years for us. PR can also get injured, and I hope like hell he does not. Rosen is a low risk aquisition with a potentially substantial reward if the 3rd is accurate. I am not saying I would make the deal, but someone will and it is because of the risk: potential reward that they would do that. If I am the GM of any team that has an agining starter or looking to go young at qb, I would think think about it.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Agree with you and Ninja....I'm all for BPA, and we will likely see talent at 28 that is comparable to what will be selected in top half of the round, with a few exceptions...I'm excited...good year to have a successful team, and be picking late!! Especially with regards to defense. Might just have to lean on Tevi taking the next step, and Lamp being who we thought he would be...and hopefully get another steal in the draft for the defensive side of the ball.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Our maybe everybody gets excited and goes all defense so we can snatch a top tier RT that falls to 28 and make Tevi a backup.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Rivers is a FA in 2020, so as of right now he would not be sitting 3 years for us. PR can also get injured, and I hope like hell he does not. Rosen is a low risk aquisition with a potentially substantial reward if the 3rd is accurate. I am not saying I would make the deal, but someone will and it is because of the risk: potential reward that they would do that. If I am the GM of any team that has an agining starter or looking to go young at qb, I would think think about it.
                      You know as well as i do that Rivers will never hit FA'cy. He signs an extention or retires and talk of an extension doesn't sound like he is retiring.

Rosen will go for more than a 3rd. Bank that. Teams that need a QB will see Rosen as the best QB in this draft and offer more. Especially Dan Snyder.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We have 2 - 1sts, 2 - 3rds, 1 - 6th as our starters as of now with a 1 - 2nd & 1 - 5th waiting in the wings. No one can say we haven't invested in the Oline. Howver, the on field results have been inconsistent.

I hope a top 15 talent, either side of the ball, falls to us.
                        My bad, I meant to say we have three starters on OL we have picked in the draft, and not high. The high picks we have spent on OL have been less than sexy. And Feeney really sucked last year.

Whoops, my double-bad, did not realize Scoffield was a third round pick by Denver. So only TWO starters on our OL are home grown, neither picked above the third round. Ouch.
                        Last edited by blueman; 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Palm Springs
                          • I know nothing
                          • Send PM

I am groping in darkness again here and looking for the light.

It seems to me that OL take much coaching/ development to rise from college to NFL level. Thus it would seem a stretch to think that a late 1st round OT could make a major impact in his first year. Immediate help would have to come from FA.

There was a major argument with Yuba regarding the value of big nose tackles. Part time players/ negated by 11 personnel. Lawrence is a nose tackle, yes? Not much impact again.

Safeties and linebackers seem to come up to speed pretty quickly. Drafting those positions early would make sense to me.

In the game against the Pats why didn't all of those safeties on the field stop the quick passing game? Were they so worried about the run that they forgot the pass?

Comment

Working...
                          X