• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

So I watched a few games from 2018. He has a nice arm and its accurate when going to his first read; on some throws it seems effortless.
    He can throw on the run going right or left with a great deal of accuracy.

My problem with him once again is that he always seems to go to his first read....you'll never see him scanning the field. We don't know how
    his accuracy drops when doing this...because he almost always goes to his first read. If the guys not open, he'll wait for him to come open.
    If blanketed, he'll still throw it there. He'll take a few years just to get to the level of some college quarterbacks in this department.
    Yes. His offense is a quick-strike, short pass offense. Formations try to isolate a single WR on a single CB. They'll do a lot of play-action to freeze a LB on the single WR/CB side. It's an offense that relies on scheme. What NFL teams see in Love is a strong arm that can make all the throws. You have to admit, he makes throws through tight windows that others can only dream of making. He's all about potential. It would be foolish to take him in the 1st Round. Even where we sit @37, I expect to see better, immediate starters elsewhere. Come early 3rd round, I'm starting to weigh my options against Love's potential. Will he start year one...? Of course not. But neither will any of them, outside of Burrows.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Man, if we take a QB at 37, I hope it’s Hurts. Dude just fights.
      Dude was running for his life today in the SB. Those OT's sucked bad.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Dude was running for his life today in the SB. Those OT's sucked bad.
        Yea...that was a damn shame. I really would have liked to see Hurts get more opportunities. I like Hurts...I don't have him high up on my list of QBs, because I see a lot more passer potential out of the other candidates, but I like the football player, and if Lynn putting his stamp on this team would include Hurts....let's just say it's not the way I would go, but I think I would be up for the shake up, with fingers crossed that Hurts would be able to develop that accuracy, and learn to be sharp with those pro throws after a couple of years.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I don't love Love - he has a long way to go to be a good NFL player. I could see Hurts being used in the same way the Saints use Hill. My opinion still hasn't changed - Burroughs, Tua, Herbert.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I kinda like the bad games Hurts has had to end the year, he was under terrible pressure in both the LSU game and SB, just fucking ridiculous, and still made scoring drives out of it.

So here’s my question: put any of the other QBs behind that Sooner/SB Oline Hurts had, do they make plays? Do they score any TDs? Somebody show me a computer model with Burrow under that kinda pressure and throwing TDs, lol. Cuz he sure never had to at LSU. Just something to think about while we debate who can make what pass.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              I kinda like the bad games Hurts has had to end the year, he was under terrible pressure in both the LSU game and SB, just fucking ridiculous, and still made scoring drives out of it.

So here’s my question: put any of the other QBs behind that Sooner/SB Oline Hurts had, do they make plays? Do they score any TDs? Somebody show me a computer model with Burrow under that kinda pressure and throwing TDs, lol. Cuz he sure never had to at LSU. Just something to think about while we debate who can make what pass.
              i was completely turned off by Hurts in the Baylor game; i saw things that a quality NFL qb should or shouldn't do. Oklahoma ended up coming back and winning.

I'd have to go through it again to be specific....left a sour taste in my mouth - don't want him.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

What I liked about that game, specifically the opening TD and the game-winning TD, Baylor had to commit a defender to Hurts (that last TD I saw TWO defenders doing nothing but zeroing in on Hurts!). Nice to reduce the D down to ten and nine players respectively, made those TD runs by the RB look like cake walks. Would love to have a red zone scoring O. Hurts also made some nice pro-level throws under pressure too. Not a perfect game, but a W. Sounds NFL ready to me, lol.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i was completely turned off by Hurts in the Baylor game; i saw things that a quality NFL qb should or shouldn't do. Oklahoma ended up coming back and winning.

I'd have to go through it again to be specific....left a sour taste in my mouth - don't want him.
                  That is the game that made me really admire the guy. Nothing went right, most of the serious miscues were made by Hurts when he was trying to make a play, and the hole got deeper and deeper. And I don't think the kid ever lost his cool, screamed at anybody, threw his helmet, blamed a referee....Nope. He kept his head down and went back to work, and never, ever, stopped trying. Same as Philip Rivers, he had no quit in him.

Jalen Hurts' emotional maturity in a game currently equals that of veteran Philip Rivers.

I place a huge value on that.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

6. Los Angeles Chargers
                    Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Scouting report is Herbert isn't an alpha. When the chips are down and you huddle up, everybody looks to the QB for leadership. Sorry, Herbert isn't my guy. I'm keeping my powder dry for the right alpha dog Franchise QB to come along.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      6. Los Angeles Chargers

Scouting report is Herbert isn't an alpha. When the chips are down and you huddle up, everybody looks to the QB for leadership. Sorry, Herbert isn't my guy. I'm keeping my powder dry for the right alpha dog Franchise QB to come along.
                      Leadership is a skill that can be learned.
                      Tom Brady wasn’t an Alpha through his first 2 superbowls.
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...that was a damn shame. I really would have liked to see Hurts get more opportunities. I like Hurts...I don't have him high up on my list of QBs, because I see a lot more passer potential out of the other candidates, but I like the football player, and if Lynn putting his stamp on this team would include Hurts....let's just say it's not the way I would go, but I think I would be up for the shake up, with fingers crossed that Hurts would be able to develop that accuracy, and learn to be sharp with those pro throws after a couple of years.
                        The sad reality is, if you ever talk to real experts who coach QB's and pitchers, is they say you can teach reading defenses, decision making, sometimes improve footwork, but you cannot make an inaccurate thrower into an accurate one.......either kids have it or they dont..... a consistently inaccurate college QB has never become a consistently accurate in NFL...... never happened never will.....you cannot develop that part...

That is why in this draft there is Burrow and Tua clearly at the top and they both played against the best defenses in college football, and No One else that will be a great NFL QB...... Some of those others might play as backups, or as RPO QB 's in an RPO system where running QB is a big part of the offense.....

Hurts is more of a Lamar jackson type, great runner, tough QB, BUT very inconsistent passer.... and played primarily against bad defenses...

Love is way way inconsistent.....and played primarily against bad defenses...

Eason has a gun but is also very inconsistent.....and played primarily against bad defenses...

Hebert has a canon for an arm and throws almost every pass like a straight bullet pass in madden football..... when Hebert has a wide open receiver, he still throws a bullet instead of throwing a touch pass that allows receiver to adjust to the ball...... either he hits them with a strike or misses them badly..... bullet passes are needed for some plays against certain coverages, but when defense play zone, Hebert will have to loft the ball over defenders into soft spots in zone....... he did not do that in his bowl games or senior bowl...... and played primarily against bad defenses....

There are reasons why a QB with such awesome physical abilities as Hebert is not the number one player in draft? Paxon Lynch had those kind of skills, so did Mariotta, Klingler, drunkenmiller, and so many other failures ...

all that said, teams desperate for QB's will still over-draft guys with major flaws like lack of accuracy........ so Hebert, Love, and maybe Hurts may be stupidly taken in first round...... maybe Bengals will fall in love with Hebert like Chargers did with Rivers at senior bowl......

BTW, that utah DE looks like a decent player...... unless maybe those tackles were like Chargers OT's....... just flat out horrible.....

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          6. Los Angeles Chargers

That isn't the problem with Hebert....

Hebert has a canon for an arm But throws almost every pass like a straight bullet pass in madden football..... when Hebert has a wide open receiver, he still throws a bullet instead of throwing a touch pass that allows receiver to adjust to the ball...... either he hits them with a strike or misses them badly..... bullet passes are needed for some plays against certain coverages, but when defense play zone, Hebert will have to loft the ball over defenders into soft spots in zone....... he did not do that in his bowl games or senior bowl...... and played primarily against bad defenses.... and almost all his completions were to open first reads...... he was horrible when first reads were covered.....

There are reasons why a QB with such awesome physical abilities as Hebert is not the number one player in draft? Paxon Lynch had those kind of skills, so did Mariotta, Klingler, drunkenmiller, and so many other failures ...

Comment

Working...
                          X