• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Not necessarily. If the brass does their due diligence and Herbert passes all their question marks, then I'm okay with it. But! We also "had to get" Leaf. I would much rather get a couple of solid starting foundation pieces and take it on the chin again next year then gamble on a quarterback in the first round with red flags. In my opinion, Burrow is the only QB that is a home run. The rest are duck fart doubles at best.
    Great point...better to get a solid OT @ 6 than reach for a QB with question marks...I don't like the idea of giving up an extra 2nd rounder or more just to move up 1 or 2 measly slots...I still do the slow burn when I remember what we gave up to move up for Gordon and Hester...

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Great point...better to get a solid OT @ 6 than reach for a QB with question marks...I don't like the idea of giving up an extra 2nd rounder or more just to move up 1 or 2 measly slots...I still do the slow burn when I remember what we gave up to move up for Gordon and Hester...
      Which OT is a sure thing? At 6 you need to get a franchise cornerstone. Seau, LT, Bosa, Rivers level player. Which OT fills that bill?

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Of the “top QBs” this year (cuz outside of Burrow there are ??? a plenty), Tua looks the most LAC-under-Lynn, also with Taylor (and the underdog Stick lol) he can rehab all he needs.

Of the “lesser QBs” Hurts is that guy. I don’t think Lynn wants quite a Baltimore O, not with the receiving weapons we have, so a QB who can get away from trouble and find the open guy, wherever he is on the field. Taylor might really surprise in that role.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Which OT is a sure thing? At 6 you need to get a franchise cornerstone. Seau, LT, Bosa, Rivers level player. Which OT fills that bill?
          If three teams pick QB's in the top 5, and Chase Young almost certainly goes top 5, that means at least THREE of the following are there @ #6: Thomas, Becton, Wills and Wirfs...so it comes down to which one the Bolts have rated higher that fits their scheme, based on new O-line coach...those are some nice choices...now, if SIMMONS is still there at #6, that will be tempting...mighty tempting...

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If three teams pick QB's in the top 5, and Chase Young almost certainly goes top 5, that means at least THREE of the following are there @ #6: Thomas, Becton, Wills and Wirfs...so it comes down to which one the Bolts have rated higher that fits their scheme, based on new O-line coach...those are some nice choices...now, if SIMMONS is still there at #6, that will be tempting...mighty tempting...
            Derrick Brown, Kinlaw, Okuda. There is going to be an ELITE prospect sitting at 6 especially if 3 QBs go top 5. Just a choice to make. Great trade down spot as well.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

No player in the entire draft is a sure thing to me aside from Burrows and Young.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No player in the entire draft is a sure thing to me aside from Burrows and Young.
                Derrick Brown, Okudah, Andrew Thomas, Simmons, Kristian Fulton, Cedarian Lamb, Wirfs, Javon Kinlaw, D'Andre Swift, Trevon Diggs, Henry Ruggs, JK Dobbins....
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Swift

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Derrick Brown, Kinlaw, Okuda. There is going to be an ELITE prospect sitting at 6 especially if 3 QBs go top 5. Just a choice to make. Great trade down spot as well.
                    If I were trading down, I might consider going from #6 to #9 or 10...but not more than that...want to make sure we get top shelf before the talent drops off...

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                      ~ Charger Fan ~
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Jupiter, FL
                      • Send PM

Has anyone tried the draft simulator with different teams? I just tried the Dolphins and it is just crazy how many pics they have.

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

I agree..... the thing is that this is not the 70's or even 80's...... very few OT's in college are coached and trained for the pro game....they all play RPO systems in college now...... so many fail when they get drafted......

The key is how do the teams really rank the QB's in the 2020 draft....... Chargers are at 6 which is much higher than we will be next year if we draft a great DT, CB, OT at 6 instead of a QB out trading up for one...... bottom line is we will have zero chance to trade up for the top QB next year.........

the best opportunity is this year where there is one cant miss QB, Burrow, and one nearly cant miss QB, Tua as long as he is healthy, then there is Hebert with mobility and a rocket arm...... who some rank close to the top 2 but with stronger arm and others have Hebert as a typical rocket armed QB with little touch who will struggle and fail in NFL...... cant win NFL games throwing only bullet passes......

all the other 2020 QB's have serious flaws....... next year their may be only one QB worth drafting.......

unfortunately picking at 6 is our best chance to trade up and grab a QB like Burrow, or Tua...... we can draft OL for next few years and it won't mean anything unless we have a great QB..........

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                          unfortunately picking at 6 is our best chance to trade up and grab a QB like Burrow, or Tua...... we can draft OL for next few years and it won't mean anything unless we have a great QB..........
                          imo, You do not need a "great" QB if you have a strong defense, OL, and running game. We've seen teams win the SB with an average QB before.

I'm also not certain I'd spend what it would take to trade up to be in position to take Tua. I think he has shown good tools but I'd be a bit leery of his health. Not so much the injury he's overcoming right now but of the past problems he's had. When you draft a guy that's had a couple of injuries in a short time in college you ARE taking a risk. After all, you don't expect to only have him for a couple of years. How many games will he miss if he has a 10 year career?

I hope they can stay put at 6 and get the QB they want. If the top three are all picked they'll have several great prospects to pick from to help the team at other positions.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X