• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I think this notion that Lynn only wants a running QB is vastly overstated by the people here. Lynn doesn't want turnovers, which is why Rivers is gone after all of his last season. Of course mobility is nice and most QBs coming out are mobile, but Lynn only got a one year contract extension, so Brady with an upgraded roster might have bought him more time. I think he just wants to win.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I think this notion that Lynn only wants a running QB is vastly overstated by the people here. Lynn doesn't want turnovers, which is why Rivers is gone after all of his last season. Of course mobility is nice and most QBs coming out are mobile, but Lynn only got a one year contract extension, so Brady with an upgraded roster might have bought him more time. I think he just wants to win.
      Right. You’d think AL wants to run wildcat all day and night. He’d like more mobility like 90% of us here would - a good QB + ability to escape is better than the same good QB that can’t. I’ve asked for a year where he ever said he wants a RPO running QB, nobody has found such a source.

The other great overstatement here is the control AL has on player acquisition, be it draft, trade, FA, other. Of course FO is interested in his thoughts and ideas but the assumption that John Jr and TT turned over the personnel department to AL after only giving him a 1 year prove-it extension is ridiculous. Start with the truth that AL works for TT and Spanos, TT and Spani do not work for AL - let that guide us to the light.

Forget what AL wants. Start asking what does JJr and TT want?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Interesting.... Brady is clearly not an "AL" type of mobile game manager type QB...... yet chargers ignored that and offered Brady 30+ million per year........ so either AL was good with that, or they dont care what he thinks......?

Interesting that Chargers used FA to rebuild the right side of the OL........ for those who understand QB's..... the left side of the OL is more important if you have the usual right handed QB......since the blind side is left side.....

The Chargers rebuilt the right side of the OL (with 2 pro bowlers) because they fully intend to draft/aquire Tua, who is a left handed QB, so he needs a strong right side of OL to protect his blind side. They missed on Brady but they are not going to miss on Tua..... the puropose of a QB is to pass the ball consistently accurately..... TT knows in order to win consistently in NFL, we have to have an accurate passing QB who runs to buy time to throw, not a running QB who passes the ball once i awhile.....
        I don't think it means anything building the right side as far as a QB. Simple fact is the right side was awful with Feeney and Scott there, and Tevi. It needed upgrading. Feeney could be our OC though I think Qberry was better.

To me it means Scott will be moved to OG and Tevi is relegated to a backup. And they like Pipkins. Don't think there is any other thing to it than that no matter which QB we have.

Whether we draft Herbert, Hurts or Tua, the right side was still awful and needed upgrading. It's not like Bulaga was a LT protecting Rodgers. In fact, using your theory that indicates a right handed QB....and boy howdy, Tyrod is right handed.
        if we draft Tua, he isn't going to start so I'm not buying your theory on this.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I think "Charge!" is reading more into it than exists. What LOT and pro bowl LG was available? answer - none. So they improved where they could. It's really that simple. My guess is they are still hoping to improve the left side of the line too.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Improving EVERYTHING on the team makes sense to me, cuz 5-11, no other agenda required.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Right. You’d think AL wants to run wildcat all day and night. He’d like more mobility like 90% of us here would - a good QB + ability to escape is better than the same good QB that can’t. I’ve asked for a year where he ever said he wants a RPO running QB, nobody has found such a source.

The other great overstatement here is the control AL has on player acquisition, be it draft, trade, FA, other. Of course FO is interested in his thoughts and ideas but the assumption that John Jr and TT turned over the personnel department to AL after only giving him a 1 year prove-it extension is ridiculous. Start with the truth that AL works for TT and Spanos, TT and Spani do not work for AL - let that guide us to the light.

Forget what AL wants. Start asking what does JJr and TT want?
              Well, here are some Anthony Lynisms that might clarify the issue a bit:

"The days of the one-dimensional pocket-passing quarterback in the NFL are over," Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said. "I know coaches and experts say and want to think otherwise, but the fact is, if you don’t have a quarterback who can give you some kind of effective movement, you’ve got a dead offense."

"Tyrod Taylor is a heck of a quarterback," Lynn said on the "Petros and Money" show on AM 570 LA Sports, via ESPN. "We couldn't have a better backup right now, and now he has an opportunity to maybe step up into a starting role. I've had Tyrod before [in Buffalo], and I know what this young man brings to the table, in the passing game and the running game."

"One of the things he does very well is take care of the football. I believe every year he's started in this league, he's been the No. 1 quarterback in taking care of the football," Lynn said of Taylor. "I believe more games are lost than won. So if we can just take care of the football and take it away, we'll be OK."

"There are some guys that can win from the pocket, but when you look around the league, most of these guys are mobile quarterbacks that can move," Lynn said. "All you have to do is watch high school football on Friday nights. High school football told me 10 years ago the direction the NFL was headed."

“So now you have athletes that are really good passers, and you can do so many things with that, but we have a handful of quarterback who can still win from the pocket.”

"So that's just the world that we're in right now -- you can do more things and be more cutting edge [with a mobile quarterback]. But that guy that can stand back there, pick up all those protections, throw the ball from the pocket and use the quick passing game [instead of] his legs, you can still win with a classic pocket passer."

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Well, here are some Anthony Lynisms that might clarify the issue a bit:

"The days of the one-dimensional pocket-passing quarterback in the NFL are over," Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said. "I know coaches and experts say and want to think otherwise, but the fact is, if you don’t have a quarterback who can give you some kind of effective movement, you’ve got a dead offense."

"Tyrod Taylor is a heck of a quarterback," Lynn said on the "Petros and Money" show on AM 570 LA Sports, via ESPN. "We couldn't have a better backup right now, and now he has an opportunity to maybe step up into a starting role. I've had Tyrod before [in Buffalo], and I know what this young man brings to the table, in the passing game and the running game."

"There are some guys that can win from the pocket, but when you look around the league, most of these guys are mobile quarterbacks that can move," Lynn said. "All you have to do is watch high school football on Friday nights. High school football told me 10 years ago the direction the NFL was headed."

"So that's just the world that we're in right now -- you can do more things and be more cutting edge [with a mobile quarterback]. But that guy that can stand back there, pick up all those protections, throw the ball from the pocket and use the quick passing game [instead of] his legs, you can still win with a classic pocket passer."
                The bolded to me is funny. High School football QBs run more because most cant throw very well. I wish when i were in HS, our QB ran more, id bet his completion % was around maybe 40%...maybe. Fact is, he didn't run well either.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Tom Telesco on quarterbacks:

"Generally speaking, a lot of attributes that Philip Rivers had," Telesco says of what he looks for in a quarterback. "You want that intangible part, too. It's very important for the quarterback to be able to lead, to have work ethic, preparation skills, handle adversity, all of those skills. That's so important for a quarterback."

"Obviously, you want the physical skills too," Telesco says. "Have a quick decision-maker on the field, arm strength, feet in the pocket, all that stuff. So, that's all part of scouting."

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Mutual in the sense Rivers played like he was done in 2018. The team just called him on it.
                    If i had video of Rivers blubbering like a baby upon receiving the news - i doubt that would soften blueman's stance.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If i had video of Rivers blubbering like a baby upon receiving the news - i doubt that would soften blueman's stance.
                      It might. I watched the games, I read the news, gotta consider everything. He was done here, is all that makes sense.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

I think he knew they we're not going to pay him what he think he's worth for the next two years. He had zero interest in staying for a small paycheck. Had to move on or retire.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think he knew they we're not going to pay him what he think he's worth for the next two years. He had zero interest in staying for a small paycheck. Had to move on or retire.
                          Why did he sign a 1 year deal in Indy?
                          Relocating the entire family for just the 1 year seems quite different from his previous stance.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X