• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He's my baby beachcomber, so he's so, so much more.

Actually, i looked at someone's mock draft not expecting him to make the first round: it surprised me that they had him going at #4. Was that Brugler?
    don't follow Brugler, but what I can gather from peoples that do (cue wu dai….), it seemed like his rise in mock drafts followed shortly after Brugler began to champion him ??

personally he did not catch my eye before that, save for his rep as a run blocker.... whoopity doo, as am beginning to suspect that this whole dual threat/mobile QB for an RPO w/a run first Oline is perhaps not the best direction for this organization, and not in line w/the history of this franchise.... how many RPO/run blocking Olines are vying for a SB of late ??

am not a fan of the Tyrod/Easton directive, and not sure Hurts is a good gambit either.... would've much preferred Stidham, albeit am uneasy w/the likes of Herbert/Eason in this year's draft.

am also uneasy doing a cursory look @Wills as there are ?s re: whether he can handle the rush w/the quickness, re: his lateral agility, explosion out of his stance, his development as a pass blocker, and that he is more likely an OG than LT, and.... don't care for comments like he'll "suffice" as a RT.... pass, as would much prefer to hope for Andrew Thomas than settle for Jedrick or any other first round gambit @OT....

no on any maybe OT.... yes to D. Brown,
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I never considered extending Bosa this offseason but if it’s doable, do it! Priority 1 this offseason
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Electric Chicken
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

1. Justin Herbert QB

2. Austin Jackson OT

3. Cameron Datzler CB

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

@Beach... Thanks for the vids on Durant. He's a big, strong guy with decent kick slide and long arms. I wonder if he's athletic enough to handle NFL speed and counter moves. He's kinda stiff and off-balance sometimes. Doesn't get to the 2nd level very often and can't get out in space on screen plays. The video of Missouri vs Georgia is the one to watch... it reminds me of difference between 1st round prospects and 3rd/4th round prospects... athleticism. Watch Durant, then watch Thomas.

I'm trying to replace Okung... Durant doesn't do that.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            @Beach... Thanks for the vids on Durant. He's a big, strong guy with decent kick slide and long arms. I wonder if he's athletic enough to handle NFL speed and counter moves. He's kinda stiff and off-balance sometimes. Doesn't get to the 2nd level very often and can't get out in space on screen plays. The video of Missouri vs Georgia is the one to watch... it reminds me of difference between 1st round prospects and 3rd/4th round prospects... athleticism. Watch Durant, then watch Thomas.

I am waiting for Durant's bench press.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
              am pretty much ready to remove the both of Wirfs and Simmons from my top six cluster, and.... wouldn't cry 'bout a WR-RB 1-2 punch.

re: Conklin, do have something of a feelgood vibe/feel for the guy, albeit much prefer a one year deal w/Whitworth rather than to tear into a four year deal w/Jack...

and Nutty.... does anyone have round 3 Orlando Brown value in this draft from your (most esteemed) estimation ??

and Jedrick Wills...?
              If we draft WR/RB with a 1-2 punch... I'll 1-2 punch myself in the face... then leave my spouse (Chargers) for abuse. You can get good ones in the later rounds (especially this year). Don't we have 1st round WR/RB we think we over-drafted already...?

Conklin > Whitworth simply because of longitude. Whitworth is a 1-year rental, Conklin is a 4-year investment in his prime. We don't want to be in the same place next year... agonizing about replacing OT again.

There will be no Orlando Brown value in this year's class. That was an historic tumble as paid professionals continued to talk themselves out of drafting him after the Underwear Olympics concluded. They have all learned their lesson. Total failure on a widespread scale. There should be wholesale firings after Ravens raise the Lombardi... However, Eye might be on to something... people are shy of Trey Adams' injury history. But slide to round 3...? Probably not.

There are 5 first round OT prospects this year: Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Leatherwood, and Adams. They are 1st round prospects because they show a mixture (to varying degrees) of athleticism, balance, technique, strength, and foot speed. None of them are perfect. No colloge OT ever has been. These prospects' weaknesses can be fixed through good coaching. The athletism can not be coached. It's either there or it isn't.

Pass on 1st round OT talent if you must. Have BPA vs PON conversations to rationalize choosing higher rated RB/WR/LB/S/DT over a lower rated OT if you must. Just don't be surprised with the losing record that accompanies the decision. Go look at 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 team records and rosters... look for patterns... specifically look at OL personnel. Remember when everyone was salivating at Derwin James return from injury...? We were going to rebound into the last playoff spot... remember...? We went 1-4 in that span instead. Absolutely not his fault... he was spectacular. Just wasn't exactly what the team needed to win. There were much bigger problems...

IMO, OT evaluations are a unique creature. You can not compare them to any other position. They will always lose the 40. They will always lose the standing verticle, the broad jump, the shuttle... there will always be faster, more agile, more explosive athletes at the remaining positions. The real question is... who's best at stopping those explosive, agile, powerful, fast athletes from getting to your skill players...? It's a QB driven league. Why wouldn't you protect your QB...?

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am waiting for Durant's bench press.
                LOL! I bet it's better that Orlando Brown Jr's....

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

We sure see different things watching the same tape.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We sure see different things watching the same tape.
                    I think we see the same things. You have a 4th round grade on him. I'd say that's about right. Better than Tevi... less value than a developing Pipkins. You and I may want different things...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

I think we see the same things. You have a 4th round grade on him. I'd say that's about right. Better than Tevi... less value than a developing Pipkins. You and I may want different things...
                      My rankings and mock draft slotting are quite different. I’ll post my top 150ish board prior to draft day.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

don't follow Brugler, but what I can gather from peoples that do (cue wu dai….), it seemed like his rise in mock drafts followed shortly after Brugler began to champion him ??

personally he did not catch my eye before that, save for his rep as a run blocker.... whoopity doo, as am beginning to suspect that this whole dual threat/mobile QB for an RPO w/a run first Oline is perhaps not the best direction for this organization, and not in line w/the history of this franchise.... how many RPO/run blocking Olines are vying for a SB of late ??

am not a fan of the Tyrod/Easton directive, and not sure Hurts is a good gambit either.... would've much preferred Stidham, albeit am uneasy w/the likes of Herbert/Eason in this year's draft.

am also uneasy doing a cursory look @Wills as there are ?s re: whether he can handle the rush w/the quickness, re: his lateral agility, explosion out of his stance, his development as a pass blocker, and that he is more likely an OG than LT, and.... don't care for comments like he'll "suffice" as a RT.... pass, as would much prefer to hope for Andrew Thomas than settle for Jedrick or any other first round gambit @OT....

no on any maybe OT.... yes to D. Brown,
                        I couldn't disagree with you more. My question about Wills involves strength (& effort - some time he seems to coast) not movement...not at all movement. Someone would have to be crazy putting him at guard.

I don't think Andrew Thomas will be available at #6. I think the Redskins grab him - to pair up with their young qb.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
                          East Coast Chargers Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
                          • Send PM

My updated based on possibilities at our picks
                          1 thomas
                          2 danzler
                          3 hamler

Comment

Working...