• Show
Clear All
  • Marshall/Boogie
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

QUOTE=richpjr;154456]Some comments from TT:[/QUOTE]

"You've got to stick with your board."

This is exactly what I think he does best. He listens to his scouts and doesn't waiver for popular opinion. We might not like it b/c some of the picks are guys not celebrated highly by the media/draftnic guys, but it does seem he sticks to his board. When he trades, he also stays within the value chart, or close to it.

So yeah, I'm rooting for our front office, but I'm not above criticizing them, either. The alternative - being and feeling negative most of the time - when we're not in the war room or know someone in the organization that can give us real 411, is not very fruitful, at least for me. I get no enjoyment and really nothing out of negative stuff during this time of the year.

However, I do understand that balance, the yin and yang of human personality, is part of the nature of communication, even on an interwebs forum. So I get that criticism and/or negativiity will always be part the conversations here (our Bolts haven't won a SB, after all). The fan criticism that comes after seeing a player perform in the professional games is where it makes the most sense to me, instead of getting all sour in the pre-judging of our draft picks.

As for the draft (and really camp otas and preseason) is where I would like to think that the fans would enjoy being positive. When every team is undefeated and there's still hope for a championship - before the inevitable skyfall, lol. Especially fans of teams that haven't won one yet. Draft time is a time of excitement for the possibility of greatness. There's plenty of time for I-told-ya-so's and to run a player/coach/FO person out of town on a rail when they stink it up. I'll be right there with ya, and have been for a long time.

In the meantime, tho (before we're stuck again in the mediocrity of the real football season or whatever) I'm gonna try to enjoy the unknown potential of this draft and the rest of the off season : - )

So let's go wreck some sh@t. \m/ \m/

Helmet- Meantime
    (Link at the top is supposed to here : )
    Last edited by Marshall/Boogie; 05-02-2015, 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling again.who knew?
    Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I wish they'd stop calling it a war room.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It a meat locker with TVs....
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          It a meat locker with TVs....
          The NFL Draft is the movie version of Glengary Glen Rross without all the good acting and well thought-out dialog.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Man-cave.
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

It reminds my wife of a slave market. Open your mouth and let me check your teeth.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                It reminds my wife of a slave market. Open your mouth and let me check your teeth.
                I never thought of that.

It's just boring to me. I like to read about the players after the picks, and I like to see them play when the season starts. But the actual draft? Boring.

I made the mistake of turning it on yesterday. There was a stupid music video in a subway. I turned it off.

Turned it on again and there was a reporter asking some player how it feels knowing his brother died a year ago.

I turned it off. Not only boring, but sick. I follow it on the Internet.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  No, that's the Combine.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Rambler
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • No Cal
                    • Civil Research Attorney
                    • Send PM

"You've got to stick with your board."

I can buy this justification to an extent. But there's is often a third option to using your next pick for the highest-ranked player on your board, or picking a lesser-ranked player at a position of need. You can trade the pick to someone who needs that highest-ranked player (or someone they've ranked higher) for more picks down the line. Then, by the time that newly acquired pick comes up, your board may have the highest ranked player be at a position of need--plus you get to take another shot at your board with the incentive pick(s) you picked up.

Other GMs do this. TT has never done this. He trades up, but never trades down to acquire more picks. We had 6 picks going into this draft, traded up once to lower that to 5, and then just stuck to our board. I don't know for sure that TT never received any calls about our 2nd round pick. But there were some trades in the 2nd round. I would guess that his phone rang a few times. Whether the calling teams offered trade-chart value or not, we can't know (unless TT ever decides to tell us publicly). That's my beef with this draft, the educated guess that TT could have traded down, picked positions of greater need later, and picked up more draft picks, which we could have used to take flyers on promising players other than at positions of need. We had more needs than picks, but used some of our limited picks on positions other than positions of need.

Of course, maybe the team thinks Craig Watts or Sirles is the answer at right guard, or that Porkchops will improve. Maybe they think Reyes will have a rebound year, or that Ricardo Matthews will break out and supplant him. It's possible they think Tourek Williams will jump up in performance. Maybe TT uses the extra money we have this year on a couple of Brandon-Flowers' type cuts at those positions during training camp/cutdowns to final rosters. We can't know what they know, or what they have planned, or what their board looked like at those positions. All we know is that this team had some gaping holes based upon last year's performance that were not filled by free agency (thus far) or by the draft (at least in the earlier rounds, where immediate help is more likely than some later round projects we took at some of those positions).

I hope the picks TT made work out, but think he could have done much better.
                    Last edited by Rambler; 05-03-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

TT is a firm believer of quality over quantity. And quite frankly, there's not a lot of difference between a late draft pick and a priority UDFA. I have no problem trading the late picks as long as they concentrate on getting 2-3 really good UDFAs in every year.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I think it's just easier to pick up a cheap vet rather than hope for some 6th or 7th round diamond in the rough to become an instant starter. Since the draft is a crapshoot anyway, get quality over quantity.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

I think we may be in the Collins sweepstakes if hes cleared.

Comment

Working...
                          X