X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I like Daboll and would be fine with him but this is the first season he has ever had an offense ranked above #20 in the league.

Not sure why you like him so much over the others. I think every one of these candidates have potentual and its just a wait and see type hire. Thats why im not really high on any and not down on any so im not disapointed or overly happy.

You can take the fact that Staley is a football nerd and eats and sleeps it. That can only be a good trait and he did a lot more with the Rams defense than Wade did....who im not in favor of bringing back. We complained a lot about his soft deep zone defenses to lose us games at the end as well. Some called it the prevent which it isnt but its alot of the same thing us did at the end of games.

Saleh had his defense playing well with the injuries they had. Finishing 6th is impressive.

None have HC experience except Garrett so who knows. Maybe Brady/Daboll is the next McVay and Staley/Saleh is the next Pete Carroll. All i know is we are likely getting another first time HC so its a,... we'll see from me.
    True, but look at who his QBs were in those other seasons. In just two seasons in Cleveland, he had Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. In Miami, he had Matt Moore and Chad Henne. In Kansas City, he had Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn again. In Buffalo, Daboll had two bad seasons from Allen before this season. This season is the only season in which Daboll has had anything remotely resembling even an average NFL starting QB.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Really my only concern with a defensive minded coach is the possibility of Herbert sort of going sideways. Maybe even regressing. I think its absolutely imperative we build around him and maximize him over the next 10 years. He is the next Mahomes or Josh Allen. No reason why we shouldn't put up 35 points a game.

Our record this year is totally different however if the D doesn't crater every 2nd half. I thoroughly believe Saleh would be able to adjust for offenses coming out for the 2nd half. He is really good at in game adjustments.

Also Josh Allens coach is a D guy. So its not like Herbert is for sure going to crater under a D minded coach.

I also really like how fit Saleh is. He takes care of himself. I think he will be able to help in that regard. Our fitness sucked. Just tanked every game because we were always so gassed on that side of the ball.

Need a rock solid training staff. I wish the team would talk to me about that. lol I know guys that would put together an insane program for these players. In all facets. Nutrition and fitness.
      Seriously, don’t you have some connections that can get your foot in the door?
      If you can realistically help, do it, we need all the help we can get.

Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Really my only concern with a defensive minded coach is the possibility of Herbert sort of going sideways. Maybe even regressing. I think its absolutely imperative we build around him and maximize him over the next 10 years. He is the next Mahomes or Josh Allen. No reason why we shouldn't put up 35 points a game.

Our record this year is totally different however if the D doesn't crater every 2nd half. I thoroughly believe Saleh would be able to adjust for offenses coming out for the 2nd half. He is really good at in game adjustments.

Also Josh Allens coach is a D guy. So its not like Herbert is for sure going to crater under a D minded coach.

I also really like how fit Saleh is. He takes care of himself. I think he will be able to help in that regard. Our fitness sucked. Just tanked every game because we were always so gassed on that side of the ball.

Need a rock solid training staff. I wish the team would talk to me about that. lol I know guys that would put together an insane program for these players. In all facets. Nutrition and fitness.
        The bolded part is 100% true and what makes that worse is that we were actually 4th overall in time of possession.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Did you miss the entire season? How many times did Lynn/Steichen put Herbert in 3rd down and a known passing situation by calling too many early down running running plays? This was the theme of the entire season.

For example, in our last three possessions against the Broncos, after getting into or near scoring position, we called run, run and then pass. All three series were immediately stopped by that run, run sequence--every f***ing time! So, we scored 6 point instead of a potential 21 and lost by 1 point.

In that game, the second game against las Vegas, the Tampa Bay game and the New Orleans game, we were absolutely killing the opponent through the air, but shifted to running on early downs, shut ourselves down, and shifted momentum to our opponent. It was as predictable as a clock is to people not named Anthony Lynn.

Against Miami, we took the ball out of Herbert's hands so we could feature our barely a 4th string NFL RB (Ballage). After the game, Cam Buford specifically pointed out to Lynn that his game plan had the effect of taking the ball out of his most explosive player's (Herbert's) hands. It was as if Buford was speaking Chinese to Lynn. He absolutely could not grasp the concept.

Contrast that with how Daboll's offense was aggressive and broke their foot off in Miami's backside despite throwing 2 INTs, scoring 56 points in the final three quarters of the game even with subs in for the Bills.

How many times in the two minute offense did we begin the drive with one or more running plays only to see ourselves running short on time at the end of the drive as if that could not be foreseen from 10,000 miles away. Two of those drives began with well over 4 minutes on the clock.

All of the above and more is what made Herbert's season so incredible. His coaches completely set him up to fail and he succeeded anyway in spite of their ineptitude.

Now imagine what the offense could be with a head coach/play caller that keeps his foot on the game pedal and that runs what is working until the other team proves that it can stop it. Imagine playing against Tampa Bay or New Orleans and matching those 20+ point first halves with 20+ point second halves. That is why we need to hire Daboll.
          The third and long with Keenan is not daunting in my opinion. I keep going back to working with what you have.. A top 10 finish and the develop of a rookie QB are not things to sneeze at.

Was he perfect in his first full season as an OC.. not by a long shot.. My argument is not about that. My argument is about some positive and tangable things that can be had from the season. Herbert had an historic year of which he accomplished those feats with Steichen as the primary play caller. Who knows if Lynn may have influenced some of his play calling or not, another coach can have a completely different approach all together than Lynn.

I think with the combination of a rookie QB and essentially a rookie OC certainly had some mixed results, but with all that said, an historic QB season from a QB that was far from being a finished QB when drafted and a top 10 finish suggests there were some positives to be had as well.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

The bolded part is 100% true and what makes that worse is that we were actually 4th overall in time of possession.
            Imagine if we had a run game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
              The third and long with Keenan is not daunting in my opinion. I keep going back to working with what you have.. A top 10 finish and the develop of a rookie QB are not things to sneeze at.

Was he perfect in his first full season as an OC.. not by a long shot.. My argument is not about that. My argument is about some positive and tangable things that can be had from the season. Herbert had an historic year of which he accomplished those feats with Steichen as the primary play caller. Who knows if Lynn may have influenced some of his play calling or not, another coach can have a completely different approach all together than Lynn.

I think with the combination of a rookie QB and essentially a rookie OC certainly had some mixed results, but with all that said, an historic QB season from a QB that was far from being a finished QB when drafted and a top 10 finish suggests there were some positives to be had as well.
              Do you think Norv Tuner was good head coach because he had a winning record with us or could you recognize that the team was underachieving?

Obviously, Turner underachieved.

The analysis is the same here. One could easily, and I do mean easily, wee how we left points on field in virtually every game by bad play calling and bad in game tactical approaches.

Herbert's season would have been much better had we had a competent head coach and play caller.

Nobody wants to be in third and long. Adopting strategies that regularly put the offense in that position is simply stupid.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

True, but look at who his QBs were in those other seasons. In just two seasons in Cleveland, he had Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. In Miami, he had Matt Moore and Chad Henne. In Kansas City, he had Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn again. In Buffalo, Daboll had two bad seasons from Allen before this season. This season is the only season in which Daboll has had anything remotely resembling even an average NFL starting QB.
                With Matt Cassell, New England's offense was #5 in 2008. We were 11th that season.

I guess Belichick is a genius.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

With Matt Cassell, New England's offense was #5 in 2008. We were 11th that season.

I guess Belichick is a genius.
                  With Welker and Moss, Cassel still posted a sub-90 passer rating.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

With Welker and Moss, Cassel still posted a sub-90 passer rating.
                    #5 offense is the bottom line. You gave Cassell as a reason why Daboll was #20 or below with,..KC?

Yes there are variables involved but it is what it is.

Every one of these candidates has a concern whether it is Daboll offenses not being a top half of the league til this year or Saleh and Staley only being first year DCs, Eberflus.... Don't know how long he has been a DC, Brady a first time NFL OC and first year in the NFL.

It's a matter of, who is the next great new HC?

I sure don't know so hoping for the best. But there's always Garrett who we can give a second interview to right now if they want.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Comment

• UtahBolt
                        Did we win?
                        • Jun 2013
                        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                        • Send PM

Someone posted Saleh to the Jets on FB.
                        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Chuckeezy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Send PM

Yup he’s a Jet now.

Comment

Working...
                          X