Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TBF View Post
    Walk off wins are always celebrated like that at all levels... They're actually not that common.
    Times have changed. Not sure if I like it or not. On one hand, it's kind of cool to see these dudes get excited about a win - that it's not all about the money. On the other hand, it diminishes the thrill of watching the winning World Series team celebrate. Hopefully the champs now up the ante after winning Game 7 of the Series. Perhaps a blimp dumps high-caliber tequila over the stadium and a medical-marijuana bonfire is lit in center field.

And when did we start calling a "game-winning hit" a "walk-off win"? What does "walk-off win" even mean? That the players walk off the field after winning? In reality, not that many players from the winning team need to walk off the field after a "walk-off win". It's the losing team that needs to get off the field. Most of the winning team is in the dugout when the game ends - and, with this new celebration thing, the winning players run onto the field; they don't walk off anywhere.

Baseball sure has changed since I last paid attention to it.

I definitely don't like all the line-up changes. Way to bore the fans with backup players. Cal Ripken's record is pretty fucking safe right now.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Game winning hit could technically be a lead off home run in a 1-0 game. Walk off hit would indicate the final AB of the game securing the win.

From what I recall, "walk off" is fairly recent and probably invented by some schmo at ESPN. From my recollection, it was pretty much exclusive to "walk off home run" but sometime after it got expanded to any last AB securing the win.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
        Times have changed. Not sure if I like it or not. On one hand, it's kind of cool to see these dudes get excited about a win - that it's not all about the money. On the other hand, it diminishes the thrill of watching the winning World Series team celebrate. Hopefully the champs now up the ante after winning Game 7 of the Series. Perhaps a blimp dumps high-caliber tequila over the stadium and a medical-marijuana bonfire is lit in center field.

And when did we start calling a "game-winning hit" a "walk-off win"? What does "walk-off win" even mean? That the players walk off the field after winning? In reality, not that many players from the winning team need to walk off the field after a "walk-off win". It's the losing team that needs to get off the field. Most of the winning team is in the dugout when the game ends - and, with this new celebration thing, the winning players run onto the field; they don't walk off anywhere.

Baseball sure has changed since I last paid attention to it.

I definitely don't like all the line-up changes. Way to bore the fans with backup players. Cal Ripken's record is pretty fucking safe right now.
        Its definitely an ESPN era term. So in that sense baseball has changed for sure. A Walk-Off is a celebration of a clutch hit when the team needed it. I'm sure it started w/walk off homeruns and then it has went into hits. The celebration isn't like a pennant clinching dog pile. Its simply the team swarms the hitter for doing his job; no dog piles, no huge to-do, just a swarming of the hitter. They are not that common though when you take into account 162 games (81 road/81 home). A walk off only happens at home, most teams across the board lose 50% of their home games so now we are in the 40 range. And in most MLB Games the deciding runs were scored before the ninth inning.

Like you noted earlier... Its nice to see enthusiasm in baseball.... 162 games is a grind.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Although all celebrations are lame since the Kendry Morales injury. Just gay jumping up and down.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Was Puig crying trotting down to first after getting plunked?

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Bases loaded, no runs, fucking drives me nuts!

Comment

• Sec-E4
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2014
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

I've always heard the term "Walk Off" used, Well Atleast when it's the proper time to use that term

Definition of "Walk Off" is when the team score's the go ahead run and they have the last at-Bat in that inning. It can be the bottom of the Ninth inning or the bottom of what ever extra inning their in...LoL. Get it ??? Walk Off , As in the other team doesn't get a another chance to try and tie or go ahead ....The Game is over , Hence the Walk Off

It can be any type of hit or walk..as long as it drives in the go ahead run to win the game...Then it's considered a "Walk Off"

Are you guys being serious about not hearing the term "Walk off" in the past ?!?!? I've been hearing it since the 80's

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                  I've always heard the term "Walk Off" used, Well Atleast when it's the proper time to use that term

Definition of "Walk Off" is when the team score's the go ahead run and they have the last at-Bat in that inning. It can be the bottom of the Ninth inning or the bottom of what ever extra inning their in...LoL. Get it ??? Walk Off , As in the other team doesn't get a another chance to try and tie or go ahead ....The Game is over , Hence the Walk Off

It can be any type of hit or walk..as long as it drives in the go ahead run to win the game...Then it's considered a "Walk Off"

Are you guys being serious about not hearing the term "Walk off" in the past ?!?!? I've been hearing it since the 80's
                  I never heard it 'til I read it on here the other day. I watched the Padres a lot during the 80s. Oh Doctor and Hang a Star and a bunch of slurred words were what I heard when we scored the winning run. Man, oh Man, is what I heard when we blew it.

I still don't understand the term. Who is walking and where is he off to? The only players who walk off are the losers. So maybe it should be called a walk-off loss. Or, just what we used to call it - a choke. Or, why the fuck didn't we change pitchers?

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I've never heard walkoff until about 5-10 years ago, and like I said it started exclusively with home run only. Where did you hear it first Sec? I first heard it in ESPN, then shortly thereafter I started hearing it on local sports news and then the Padres games themselves (right around the time Matt Vasgergian was doubt Padres games on TVs). Never, ever heard Jerry/Ted use it during the 80s or 90s.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I cant believe they pitched to him again. I mean what the fuck is Black thinking? Does he have a clue?
                      Bud Black, you listening?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Time to end this losing streak. We're almost back to .500.

Do all teams switch their lineup every day or is that a Bud Black thing? Not sure I like it. Reminds me of McCoy's inability to decide who should play guard every week.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                          Time to end this losing streak. We're almost back to .500.

Do all teams switch their lineup every day or is that a Bud Black thing? Not sure I like it. Reminds me of McCoy's inability to decide who should play guard every week.
                          Bud Black thing and it drives me nuts too. I could understand it in years past when he didn't have much to work with, but he's got a pretty solid lineup now. I don't really understand it, probably way too reliant on metrics.

Comment

Working...
                          X