• Show
Clear All
  • Sec-E4
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2014
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

What would you do?!?!

2-1 game Padres are down...The bases get loaded with 2 outs in the top of 6th inning...Do you pinch hit for the Pitcher Cashner with Matt Kemp or do you leave Cashner in ?

Answer: Bud Black leaves in Cashner and he grounds out for the final out.

Was that the right call?

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
      What would you do?!?!

2-1 game Padres are down...The bases get loaded with 2 outs in the top of 6th inning...Do you pinch hit for the Pitcher Cashner with Matt Kemp or do you leave Cashner in ?

Was that the right call?
      I think it was. Cashner has only given up 2 hits, albeit HRs, and they've got three innings left in a 1-run game. Also, used the BP pretty hard yesterday in the extra innings game.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

What would you do?!?!

Was that the right call?
        I'm gonna say no. They have a day off tomorrow. He gave way too many people the day off. Not liking Black's moves the first month. They should be doing better.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
          I think it was. Cashner has only given up 2 hits, albeit HRs, and they've got three innings left in a 1-run game. Also, used the BP pretty hard yesterday in the extra innings game.
          I didn't see the game, but only looking at the line score and what was said in here, buddy was kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Best athlete on the team, best hitting pitcher and has given up two hits/2 runs. Bullpen mucho tired, but you do have a day off approaching... I would have probably let Cash hit there as well.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

What would you do?!?!

Was that the right call?
            I don't know what the best call was in that situation, but the decision to hit with the pitcher made the previous decision to hold the runner at 3rd after a single kind of dumb. If the manager knew he wasn't going to pinch hit, he should have told the 3rd-base coach to send the runner home if there was a base hit into the outfield. Dude probably would have been thrown out, but he had a better chance of scoring than the pitcher had of coming through with a 2-out hit.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I think Bud Black vastly overrates the hitting and base running ability of Cashner. Cashner has a lifetime BA of .204 and 5 RBI's in 6 seasons. Of course he is a pitcher so those numbers are not important but you are basically conceding your chance of tying up or going ahead by batting him there and hoping the team gets another opportunity later. Now other things come into play like what pitchers were available, etc. but it's not like it hasn't happened before. And using him as a pinch runner is ridiculous.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Pitching stumbling, but what the heck is going on with the offense?

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

So Despaigne is getting shelled and Black decides to send Shields in to pinch hit in the bottom of the third. Is it me, or does anyone else find this bizarre? I don't get Bud Black.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    So Despaigne is getting shelled and Black decides to send Shields in to pinch hit in the bottom of the third. Is it me, or does anyone else find this bizarre? I don't get Bud Black.
                    No entiendo.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I just don't understand why you send your best pitcher out there to pinch hit down 7-0 in the 3rd inning. What if he got hurt? Why not just let Despaigne hit and just replace him in the top of the 4th if you don't want to burn a bench guy?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        I just don't understand why you send your best pitcher out there to pinch hit down 7-0 in the 3rd inning. What if he got hurt? Why not just let Despaigne hit and just replace him in the top of the 4th if you don't want to burn a bench guy?
                        Yea, I don't understand what Bud Black is doing either. But I don't watch enough baseball to be a good critic. I'm just ignorant to all these strategies now. I would have used a real pinch hitter - not a different pitcher to bat for the pitcher. Or, you know, I would have pulled the pitcher before he gave up all those runs.

I noticed the top of the order was all different again yesterday. I have no idea who is going to play every game, and I'm just guessing neither do the players. Wouldn't they do better if they knew what position and what part of the batting order they and their teammates were going to be playing on a regular basis?
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                          Yea, I don't understand what Bud Black is doing either. But I don't watch enough baseball to be a good critic. I'm just ignorant to all these strategies now. I would have used a real pinch hitter - not a different pitcher to bat for the pitcher. Or, you know, I would have pulled the pitcher before he gave up all those runs.

I noticed the top of the order was all different again yesterday. I have no idea who is going to play every game, and I'm just guessing neither do the players. Wouldn't they do better if they knew what position and what part of the batting order they and their teammates were going to be playing on a regular basis?
                          Well, Myers is injured so there's that, but in general I agree. Black tends to over manage certain aspects IMO. The lineup is one area, and little nits like having Shields pinch hit is another. I'd rather have an old school ass kicker like Dick Williams or Bruce Bochy than a bookworm like Black. He reminds me of Steve Boros.
                          Last edited by 6025; 05-16-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X