• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

At what point does Bud Black need to start feeling some heat? This team is underachieving.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      At what point does Bud Black need to start feeling some heat? This team is underachieving.
      Hopefully soon.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Baseball is not football. We are 16% into the season, 3.5 games out of first base in what is arguably the toughest baseball division which hosts the highest paid team in baseball and the reigning World Series champs. Not to mention the boys from Colorado who have the best infield in all of baseball. Giving BB heat at this moment would be like giving Mike McCoy heat for going 1-1 to open the season and at the half of game three talking about his future because we are chasing two touchdowns.

Baseball is an absolute grind, and the games today matter when the score is tallied in the end... We are sitting at .500 and we have played a lot of baseballs toughest teams. Dodgers x2 (Good Team), Astros (Good Team), Diamond Backs (Meh), Colorado x2 (good team), Giants x2 (WS Champs, getting their stride), Cubs (Good Team). Baseball isn't big on power rankings, but ESPN does a ton of things with RPI type numbers, which has the Padres at #2 in SOS.

Our hitting isn't the issue over 28 games. Our pitching quite simply has been inconsistent across the board, and hasn't even come close to hitting its stride. Baseball at all levels is very streaky. If we were having this conversation a week ago, the Giants would not be considered a good team for this young season. They hit their stride and are riding an 8 game positive streak. We too will get those streaks (if/when) our pitching catches up with our hitting. We are near the leagues lead in scoring, and that is a great thing.

So to answer your question, at what point should BB be feeling heat? I say, get me at the All Star Break at the earliest... If we are out of the hunt then, lets start talking about our manager. If we are in the hunt for a playoff spot, he has my blessing for the most part.
        Last edited by TABF; 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Sec-E4
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2014
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

Buddy Black has tried to use Mike Scioscia strategy that worked in the early to mid 2000's for the Angels, Playing small ball and using bench players with speed in the later innings. You can tell that BB has stuck to his guns because it worked at one point in Anahiem, But The game has changed a bit and he's making roster changes as if it's the play offs. I can see making those line up changes in October but not all season.

Maybe it's a way of trying out other players because dudes like Jerkovich and Nieves were batting really really low...Black has never had a good roster, Besides this season...So you can't blame his losing ways, But after 9 seasons , It might be time for a change. Everyone loves Buddy and he gets nothing but praises. Maybe his way of Coachng would work better in the American League and or if we switch to having a DH

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TBF View Post
            Baseball is not football. We are 16% into the season, 3.5 games out of first base in what is arguably the toughest baseball division which hosts the highest paid team in baseball and the reigning World Series champs. Not to mention the boys from Colorado who have the best infield in all of baseball. Giving BB heat at this moment would be like giving Mike McCoy heat for going 1-1 to open the season and at the half of game three talking about his future because we are chasing two touchdowns.

Baseball is an absolute grind, and the games today matter when the score is tallied in the end... We are sitting at .500 and we have played a lot of baseballs toughest teams. Dodgers x2 (Good Team), Astros (Good Team), Diamond Backs (Meh), Colorado x2 (good team), Giants x2 (WS Champs, getting their stride), Cubs (Good Team). Baseball isn't big on power rankings, but ESPN does a ton of things with RPI type numbers, which has the Padres at #2 in SOS.

Our hitting isn't the issue over 28 games. Our pitching quite simply has been inconsistent across the board, and hasn't even come close to hitting its stride. Baseball at all levels is very streaky. If we were having this conversation a week ago, the Giants would not be considered a good team for this young season. They hit their stride and are riding an 8 game positive streak. We too will get those streaks (if/when) our pitching catches up with our hitting. We are near the leagues lead in scoring, and that is a great thing.

So to answer your question, at what point should BB be feeling heat? I say, get me at the All Star Break at the earliest... If we are out of the hunt then, lets start talking about our manager. If we are in the hunt for a playoff spot, he has my blessing for the most part.
            We should wait until it is too late?

I don't know that I dislike Bud Black, or that I want him fired. I do wish he would figure out what the lineup should be and stop messing with stuff.
            But, then again, reading your messages, it sounds like everybody does exactly the same thing Bud Black does. So, in that case, I don't think firing him would help our cause. Of course, if they all do the same thing, I don't understand why managers are necessary. Might as well have a computer run the show.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
              Buddy Black has tried to use Mike Scioscia strategy that worked in the early to mid 2000's for the Angels, Playing small ball and using bench players with speed in the later innings. You can tell that BB has stuck to his guns because it worked at one point in Anahiem, But The game has changed a bit and he's making roster changes as if it's the play offs. I can see making those line up changes in October but not all season.

Maybe it's a way of trying out other players because dudes like Jerkovich and Nieves were batting really really low...Black has never had a good roster, Besides this season...So you can't blame his losing ways, But after 9 seasons , It might be time for a change. Everyone loves Buddy and he gets nothing but praises. Maybe his way of Coachng would work better in the American League and or if we switch to having a DH
              That's what I've been saying.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2014
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Fuck it !!!

We should fire Bud Black and hire Bobby Valentine..Not the regular Bobby valentine but the Bobby Valentine who snuck back into the dug out in extra innings after being ejected from the game.

I want the Groucho Marks version Bobby V

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Not saying Black should be fired yet, but if he is I wonder how good Dave Roberts could be?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Nice score yesterday. I might check them out this weekend; the Pads will be in my state. Unlike in SD, there's tailgating o'plenty here.

Edit ... Just found out that there is no tailgating at D-backs games because some dummy built that stadium downtown. Guess I won't be seeing any live baseball this year.

I got it confused with the Cardinals games, which have lots of space for tailgating. Haven't seen a Cards game ever (too expensive and I don't care about the Cardinals anyway), but I have seen a lot of concerts in their tin-can looking dome. Big lot - love it. Can avoid the $15 charges for weak beer.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I'm not saying Black should be fired (yet), but he should be taking some heat for the way the team is playing. After tonights ass-kicking we are 15-15 and 4 games out. The problem is we are trending down, not up. If we had started out slow and gradually started picking it up (which is what I kind of expected to happen) that would be one thing. But we started out 10-5 and are 5-10 since - and playing worse. Yes we are in a tough division, but our biggest rivals have a ton of injuries and if we want to make a serious run, we should be piling up wins now while they are undermanned. We've been shut out 3 of the last 4 games and some of the big bats are starting to cool off. I'm really surprised at the shaky pitching, especially the bullpen. I knew our defense would be bad, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. I guess I bought into the hype...

Comment

• TABF
                        Por debajo del promedio
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoCal
                        • Send PM

Cycle alert. Wil Myers and Will Veneble both have shots, but its way late in the game. T9 and Veneble is coming up...needs a double! Myers needs a triple, most likely wont get another AB unless Kimbrel blows a save.

Comment

• Iowachargers
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Dow City, Iowa
                          • Send PM

Haven't seen too many of the games, but have really been impressed with Myers. Check the box scores most of the time and seems like he has really been consistent with hitting. Especially with his down year last year in Tampa. Wasn't too sure with this trade in the offseason, but liking it now. Spangenburg also. Keep it up men.

Comment

Working...
                          X