• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Klinsmann has over promised on what he can do, that's for sure. We often look unorganized and confused. It feels like we've been stuck in this tier two level where we e can often hang with a superpower but it would take a real special day to beat them, and we've been there for a decade (Or longer). Klinsmann seemed to hold the key to the next level, but, alas...

I agree Pulisic and also Nagbe should be starting. Both are young, but creative on the ball and productive. They would add real spark to the offense that has been missing since, well, ever.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

It seemed like Klinsman went after a bunch of US citizens who grew up in the German soccer system. Sounds like these guys didn't pan out?
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
        It seemed like Klinsman went after a bunch of US citizens who grew up in the German soccer system. Sounds like these guys didn't pan out?
        I don't think that's a bad approach, given how well Germany has done in international competition. If those players are better than the ones that are developed here in the USA, so be it. There are so many opportunities for pro-potential youngsters to play here, so the talent pool is depleted. Football is more attractive than Futbol. Klinsman does have his eye for other players that aren't playing here, that could play for other countries (like Iceland, and the few that choose to play in Liga MX), but for the US to be world power in Men's soccer, there has to be a better incentive for those youngsters to play Soccer instead.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          My Newcastle got regulated. I may have to switch to another beer.
          Stick with the beer. You have Rafa which means a much better chance at success in Europe than Arsenal and Kroenke.

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            I don't think that's a bad approach, given how well Germany has done in international competition. If those players are better than the ones that are developed here in the USA, so be it. There are so many opportunities for pro-potential youngsters to play here, so the talent pool is depleted. Football is more attractive than Futbol. Klinsman does have his eye for other players that aren't playing here, that could play for other countries (like Iceland, and the few that choose to play in Liga MX), but for the US to be world power in Men's soccer, there has to be a better incentive for those youngsters to play Soccer instead.
            Its not simply opportunity for pro-potential youngsters, but I do agree that's has a material impact. Still, Uruguay has a population of 3MM and produces world class players. The US system (pay to play, etc.) needs tweaking. Even the pay to play kids only practice two to three times a week. I've spoken to guys that played and coached in academies overseas, its seven days a week at the very least that's a ton more touches.

Comment

• chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

Regardless of coach we are still at least a generation or more before we will be level with the Brazil, Argentina, Germany's of the world. Our youth system although getting better is still very much a work in progress. None of those other countries have 3 or more other sports above soccer in the pecking order. NCAA option doesn't help much either. We are capable of developing world class players but we need to increase that at least fivefold. MLS is a success but nowhere near the competitive level necessary to supply a top 5 team. Our best players need to play in the best leagues but that actually keeps the MLS from making a big enough leap in quality. MLS is here to stay and as long as it continues to grow and become profitable it can eventually be a sustainable source of quality players. We are making progress, just 20 years ago we were competing in world cups with teams made up of amateurs and not getting completely embarrassed by the worlds best.

Comment

• Screeme
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                Its not simply opportunity for pro-potential youngsters, but I do agree that's has a material impact. Still, Uruguay has a population of 3MM and produces world class players. The US system (pay to play, etc.) needs tweaking. Even the pay to play kids only practice two to three times a week. I've spoken to guys that played and coached in academies overseas, its seven days a week at the very least that's a ton more touches.
                The European system is pretty nuts. They start recruiting kids to development academies at kindergarten age. If you get recruited it's eat, sleep, breathe soccer at the Academy. Plus they're incredibly competitive, they continue to scout kids and bring in new kids through all ages, and will send home ones not good enough. It's pretty crazy. Can you imagine the Chargers, walking up to you after a pre-teen football game and saying, they want to have your 7 year old!

MLS has made good inroads to development academies, but mostly the US just doesn't do anything like that, and the NCAA system just doesn't work for soccer like basketball and football.

That all being said, I find these to be somewhat excuses. Watch the Olympics, and there's hardly any sport we don't have competitive teams/athletes in. Those sports all face the same disadvantages in terms of the best athletes preferring other sports, their sport not being popular, etc etc.

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                  NCAA option doesn't help much either
                  The level of soccer at that level isn't where it needs to be, 17-21 is when the level of development should be peaking. NCAA works as development for basketball, football and to a lesser extent baseball. Soccer, tennis, etc. not even close. Have no idea what to do about it, that's for the pros and USSF, but as a parent I could see why it would be difficult to pass up a chance to play for and attend Stanford vs. moving to Europe for the still slim chance at top level professional soccer. Will be interesting to follow the progress of some players going to the academies popping up like RSL Arizona, they've had a few players moving to Europe.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                    That all being said, I find these to be somewhat excuses. Watch the Olympics, and there's hardly any sport we don't have competitive teams/athletes in. Those sports all face the same disadvantages in terms of the best athletes preferring other sports, their sport not being popular, etc etc.
                    I agree with most of your post before the quoted, it is nuts. My kids practice twice a week and have games throughout a ton of weekends and I find it impossible, lol. The European's are recruiting kids, cutting kids and some with less restrictive immigration hurdles are recruiting 9 and 10 year olds from South America and other areas! How old was Messi when he went to Barcelona, 10? 11?

In regards to the quoted, I make that argument all the time. We should definitely be better. Money matters, US pays for the best training in olympic sports. Still, the point that most of the countries we are competing with are soccer first while the olympic sports are facing others whose countries emphasize other sports before theirs. Not sure if that's clear, lol.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

I know the uk system isn't ideal. The kids that sign with academies are owned by them. They can't play with their friends and if another kid shows promise they will just get dumped. Puts a lot of pressure on the kids and the parents. A lot get discouraged and just quit because it's no longer fun. A friend of mine coached his sons local team and used to have to chase the vultures from the academies away from his kids.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Ya, messy is pretty good at soccer.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

USMNT wins 1-0, with a total goal differential of 3. To win their group, they need Costa Rica to win by 2 goals over Colombia.

--
                          Edit... The USMNT just needs Costa Rica to win, for them to take the group. Currently 2-1 Costa Rica....
                          Last edited by Bolt-O; 06-11-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X