• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gregory isn't the only reason for the Broncos' issues. Here are five reasons for the drastic uptick in scoring against Denver.

Secondary status check

San Diego Chargers: This is probably the thinnest group in the AFC West -- but it is top-heavy. Safety Eric Weddle is an elite player and a tremendous anchor for this unit. San Diego let 2012 starters Jammer and Antoine Cason walk via free agency without a fight -- but did a nice job in bringing aboard former Jaguars cornerback Derek Cox, a scout favorite. Young Shareece Wright has a chance to start at the other cornerback spot. Opposite Weddle could be 2012 third-round pick Brandon Taylor, if he recovers from a torn ACL, or Darrell Stuckey. Marcus Gilchrist could also be in the mix. This unit has a chance to be competitive as the season goes on and has some interesting youth. For now, though, there are probably more questions about it than any of the division's other secondaries.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Secondary status check

San Diego Chargers: This is probably the thinnest group in the AFC West -- but it is top-heavy. Safety Eric Weddle is an elite player and a tremendous anchor for this unit. San Diego let 2012 starters Jammer and Antoine Cason walk via free agency without a fight -- but did a nice job in bringing aboard former Jaguars cornerback Derek Cox, a scout favorite. Young Shareece Wright has a chance to start at the other cornerback spot. Opposite Weddle could be 2012 third-round pick Brandon Taylor, if he recovers from a torn ACL, or Darrell Stuckey. Marcus Gilchrist could also be in the mix. This unit has a chance to be competitive as the season goes on and has some interesting youth. For now, though, there are probably more questions about it than any of the division's other secondaries.
      Fair assessment.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Secondary status check

Hasn't just about every one of them missed or been inactive multiple games due to injury? Weddle being the only exception.
        sigpic

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

Secondary status check

the most accurate assessment i've seen in my opinion.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            Hasn't just about every one of them missed or been inactive multiple games due to injury? Weddle being the only exception.
            it is football they're playing. rare no one gets dinged up ever. we got spoiled with people like LT, and having a qb like rivers. that's not normal.

Comment

• Zot
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Fair assessment.
              agree

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                But is a CB who is that productive and has that sort of physical skills, after being a solid starter for a big time program really deserve to be a 5th round pick? He got downgraded because of his size, not his ability. But that means he is really a 3rd or 4th round talent/ability. Shouldn't the argument that he is an "X" round draft pick be applied to a 3rd or 4th round talent? And a lot of 3rd and 4th round guys do come in and play in the nickle.

If we were asking him to start, I would agree, he probably is not ready, since most rookies aren't. But if he can focus on being NB, and focus on covering slot guys, then I think he can handle it.
                As I said, NB are pretty much starters nowadays. Our NB is probably on the field more than 50% of the time.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

There may be question marks but that doesn't mean they can't perform. Cox is a good player, Wright is ready to get some playing time. Gilchrist is a good NB who is ready to expand his role some. That leaves Williams, who as I mentioned earlier would have been drafted a lot higher had he not been downgraded because of his size. There will probably be some lumps because of inconsistency and inexperience, but if they keep things simple and can rush the passer, those problems can be minimized.

The biggest issue is that while Gilchrist, Williams and Weddle don't seem to miss time due to injury, Cox and Wright do, particularly Wright. And we really don't have any depth this season, so if someone gets hurt, we only have Johnny Patrick to cover at CB, and Stuckey to backup at S (unless Taylor is fully back).

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    As I said, NB are pretty much starters nowadays. Our NB is probably on the field more than 50% of the time.
                    And your point is? A lot of younger players play big roles in the nickle and dime packages and usually manage to pull it off. It has always been that way. Not sure why this is different, or what your point is. There is the round he was drafted in as a proxy for his overall level of polish, but like I said before, I think that is misleading. He got downgraded because of his size, not his ability. The big knock against him is that he has one of the worst jams at the line I have seen in that good a CB. But since we don't play much press coverage, I don't see it as a big issue.

With Freeney being more comfortable as a down DE, then as a true OLB, there is a really good chance that we spend more then the regular amount of time in the 4 man rush line, which sort of implies that we will be using Williams more. But depending on how Stuckey and Taylor do, we might play our nickle with more S then CB anyway. Teams like to do that to get a better compromise between tackling and coverage then just going straight to the extra CB, who are often the best coverage players, but not the best in run support. Especially with GIlchrist being in that weird space where he is part CB and part S, it would seem ideal to use him in that role, provided we have another S to play the SS spot while he plays up in the nickle.
                    Last edited by Steve; 06-24-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Cox is a solid corner. He can play press or off equally well. Wright, in the very limited playing time he has seen, seems to have a lot of talent and physical ability. His closing speed is phenomenal. If those two can play the whole season, I think the Chargers will be better off than they were last year. But that is a big if based on recent history.

I am not sure what to make of Brandon Taylor. He couldn't crack the lineup, even as a reserve for almost the whole season last year. And he (not unlike Stuckey) was supposed to be a mature, football smart, leader, nfl-ready player coming out of college.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by pumpkinhead80 View Post
                        it is football they're playing. rare no one gets dinged up ever. we got spoiled with people like LT, and having a qb like rivers. that's not normal.
                        Dinged up is one thing. Hurt and scratched from the game day roster is another. Our previous corners were pretty durable. Taylor coming off a major knee injury, Cox has an injury history, Wright couldn't stay on the field last year. Its a thin unit for sure.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          And your point is? A lot of younger players play big roles in the nickle and dime packages and usually manage to pull it off. It has always been that way. Not sure why this is different, or what your point is. There is the round he was drafted in as a proxy for his overall level of polish, but like I said before, I think that is misleading. He got downgraded because of his size, not his ability. The big knock against him is that he has one of the worst jams at the line I have seen in that good a CB. But since we don't play much press coverage, I don't see it as a big issue.

With Freeney being more comfortable as a down DE, then as a true OLB, there is a really good chance that we spend more then the regular amount of time in the 4 man rush line, which sort of implies that we will be using Williams more. But depending on how Stuckey and Taylor do, we might play our nickle with more S then CB anyway. Teams like to do that to get a better compromise between tackling and coverage then just going straight to the extra CB, who are often the best coverage players, but not the best in run support. Especially with GIlchrist being in that weird space where he is part CB and part S, it would seem ideal to use him in that role, provided we have another S to play the SS spot while he plays up in the nickle.
                          He isn't going to be able to rely on speed to make up for mistakes at the next level. If he is our starting NB our secondary is going to be an issue. Like I said before, even first round picks struggle at this level. If Taylor is our NB we better hope the other team is running the ball. He was lost in coverage last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X