• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

This is football, size counts. It remains to be seen if Williams can be effective at his below average size. I'm not a fan of small cbs. Hopefully his speed and athleticism makes up for it. And yes, he was a good pick in the 5th.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

KC has had a lot of success with smaller CB. Size can be an important factor, but finding good players is far more important than excluding good players who are small. Many of the little guys are a liability if they have to play up close, and press bigger WR. I agree that Williams will struggle with that, except that we don't play press coverage much, so I don't think it is going to hurt him. Williams would be a horrible draft pick for someone like Seattle that plays so much press coverage, but for us he is fine.

I also don't think, since he is a trail style CB, his speed is as important. He always plays with a big cushion and is spending his time reading and reacting. If you react quickly, you really don't have to be that fast to play off coverage. That is why Ronde Barber has survived so long as a CB in TB. The guy was a 4.7 40 CB coming out of college, and never could run that well. But give Barber a cushion and let him read the routes in front of him, and you can almost never get past him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

I want to see Williams on Welker
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          He isn't going to be able to rely on speed to make up for mistakes at the next level. If he is our starting NB our secondary is going to be an issue. Like I said before, even first round picks struggle at this level. If Taylor is our NB we better hope the other team is running the ball. He was lost in coverage last year.
          I would play Taylor at SS, rather then NB. That way he only has to learn one position, and we can use Gilchrist as either a CB or S.

Some 1st round picks struggle, some don't. But many of the 1st round picks struggle because of the mental side of things. They have to spend so much time learning the adjustments for all the formations and personnel matchups. But nickle CB really don't have to so much, because they are only on the feild when there are multiple WR, which simplifies things greatly. There are more guys who are in the 2-4th range who play NCB and have an immediate impact then the 1st and 2nd round guys who come in and are asked to start then struggle because they are overloaded.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Where do we stuck this Stuckey?
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I would play Taylor at SS, rather then NB. That way he only has to learn one position, and we can use Gilchrist as either a CB or S.

Some 1st round picks struggle, some don't. But many of the 1st round picks struggle because of the mental side of things. They have to spend so much time learning the adjustments for all the formations and personnel matchups. But nickle CB really don't have to so much, because they are only on the feild when there are multiple WR, which simplifies things greatly. There are more guys who are in the 2-4th range who play NCB and have an immediate impact then the 1st and 2nd round guys who come in and are asked to start then struggle because they are overloaded.
              You are the one who brought up using a safety, either Taylor or Stuckey, not me. Tell me the last 5th round CB did well his first year in the league? It can't be a long list. It seems that when you do your analysis of the Chargers you go with the best case scenario a lot. I find that reality doesn't always work out that way.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

You are the one who brought up using a safety, either Taylor or Stuckey, not me. Tell me the last 5th round CB did well his first year in the league? It can't be a long list. It seems that when you do your analysis of the Chargers you go with the best case scenario a lot. I find that reality doesn't always work out that way.
                Why does it matter if he struggles? Doesn't mean he shouldn't play. This was my biggest issue with Norv. He didn't play rookies. All players need to be on the field to improve.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Chris Harris played pretty well for the Broncos for his rookie season (2011) and he was undrafted. He was mainly a backup but started a few games.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    Why does it matter if he struggles? Doesn't mean he shouldn't play. This was my biggest issue with Norv. He didn't play rookies. All players need to be on the field to improve.
                    I have been routinely challenged on here why I don't expect this team to be a playoff contender. This is one of those reasons.

What rookies didn't play under Norv that should have?

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                      Chris Harris played pretty well for the Broncos for his rookie season (2011) and he was undrafted. He was mainly a backup but started a few games.
                      Helps when you can rush the QB like Denver has been able to the last couple of years.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

I have been routinely challenged on here why I don't expect this team to be a playoff contender. This is one of those reasons.

What rookies didn't play under Norv that should have?
                        Ingram should of been starting over Philips for one.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Clipboard Jesus No, Vincent Brown, Ladarius Green, the CBs who will start this year in Gilcrest and Wright...
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X