• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Knucklebear View Post
    I'm worried about the damage Hali and Houston can do versus the beat up Chargers O line. On top of that Rivers is holding the ball longer than he was last year. If the Chargers lose I'm guessing it will be due to turnovers caused by pressure.
    We haven't really had issues on the edges aside from the occasional pressure. It's interior pressures that have been causing issues. As long as Rivers has a decent pocket to step into, we should be ok.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      Andy Reid is 0-1 after the bye as the Chiefs HC.
      Best stat I've seen all year.

I think we're going to have to put a spy on Charles in passing situations. Nobody RB's out of the backfield have hurt us this year. This guy could murder us.
      sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

NO BLACKOUT

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Every game is a battle....i dont care what the score says. Kc at home i feel pretty good about but we need a better showing than last week. Too many penalties for my liking that killed our drives and turnovers...clean that up and we will be in it in the fourth. I think s few mistakes by us was key to this being close score wise...they made a few good calls and plays but our execution wasnt quite there.

KCs D is good but i trust our offense. We hit a number of very good defenses that were intent on shutting our run game down but we are versatile in offense with many ways to beat you. We can score in anyone IMO....may not come till after adjustments but we seem to get Ds on their heals and chew up clock in the process.

Our D needs to play better. Those WR patterns were nothing special but we let people get behind us and took some bad angles. All correctable. Kc is dangerous enough on offense when they get in a groove....they are on a 1 game groove and they had a bye to break that up which i dont think favors them really. Sure they get healthier but have to travel and rarely win in SD.

1 game at a time. I trust our coaches.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Chargers D Line Gets Back to Basics

By Matthew Wood

View Comments ()
            |

Email

|

Print

Trending Stories

VideoSouthwestern College Evacuates Students
            SponsoredHit October's Life is Beautiful Festival
            Up to 400 Exposed to Meningitis at SDSU
            Dallas Nurse Slams Hospital: "We Never Talked About Ebola"
            Video"Most Wanted" Fugitive Captured in Mexico Bar After 17 Years

NEWSLETTERS

Receive the latest sports updates in your inbox

Privacy Policy | More Newsletters

Scenes From Chargers Win Over Raiders

View Gallery

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 • Updated at 12:55 PM PDT

A week after getting torched for four touchdowns and 396 yards by the winless Oakland Raiders and rookie quarterback Derek Carr, the Chargers defense is hunkering down and getting back to basics.

“We worked on getting to the quarterback as a front four,” said defensive end Corey Liuget. “Last week, the guy did have more time than any other quarterback we faced, but they did a pretty good job protecting up front.”

•Rookie Oliver Emerges in Bolts Backfield

Next up is a new challenge in a Kansas City Chiefs squad that favors the run, but still has a quarterback who can make plays in Alex Smith.

“He’s running the system the way it’s supposed to be run,” Chargers coach Mike McCoy said of Smith. “The success he’s had all last year and the success he’s had this year, he’s very efficient … and his ability to make plays with his feet when things aren’t there.”\

While the Chiefs rank 29th in pass yards per game (197), Smith still brings a mobility the Chargers have not seen much of this season.

“We gotta make sure we’re tight on coverage and when he scrambles, we gotta have good rush lanes to minimize his plays, not only with his arm but with his feet,” McCoy said.

Liuget is confident his line mates can step up and put pressure on a Chiefs offensive line that has allowed 13 sacks this season.

“(Last week) we didn’t play to our standards, definitely,” he said. “We just gotta get back to it. We came out here to practice and got the bad taste out of our mouth."

They are also preparing for a big dose of the ground game from a team that ranks fourth in the league in rushing yards.

“We’re expecting to see Jamaal Charles carry the ball at least 20 times,” Liuget said. “He’s a heck of a runner. He’s a downhill runner.”

As for a secret weapon, the Bolts downplayed the impact of cornerback Brandon Flowers, who spent his first six seasons in Kansas City.

“Anytime you have players that come from other places and things like that, at times you’ll see something,” McCoy said. “But we’re putting our plans in and doing what we do.”

Added quarterback Philip Rivers: “Anything he can lend to the normal preparation, but certainly I’m not overdoing it.”

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz3GLGJHSur
            Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
              TI think too many people are giving reid credit for being 13-2 coming off a bye week. I dunno.

We should win this game.
              0-1 with the Chiefs.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

TT is just trying to get his guys fired up. He is probably thinking 0-1 is a more realistic number, but if you want players to take the game seriously, a little creative statistics is not bad.

The thing that is probably going to be the deal breaker in this one is KC lack of depth in the secondary and their injuries. Right now, KC is struggling to put a nickle package together because they lack depth and got hit by injuries. Normally, you would expect to see KC play a ton of man to man, which means it could be a big game for Allen, since he is deadly vs man. But they may be forced to play more zone D because of the injuries in their secondary, which suggests more of the last few weeks.

The big guy who could give us fits on D is Allen Bailey. He is the kind of DL who gives us fits at times, and he is on the field a lot for them. He is smart and athletic, and has some quickness. We need to slow Bailey and Poe down, and keep them on the field. Poe is so big, he should be fairly easy to wear down. Bailey is not a big guy, and has always been a hard worker, so he may be a guy who gets after us all game long. But keep him on the field enough (or make them sub him off to rest him), and I think we are fine.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Since there is no Friday prediction thread:

Prediction: Chiefs will beat the Chargers
                  October, 17, 2014

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

The San Diego Chargers are still short-handed, with several front-line players nursing injuries. At some point that is going to catch up them. San Diego faces a solid Kansas City Chiefs team playing well coming out of their bye week, so they will be well-rested.

Kansas City's Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in the NFL at devising innovative schemes to give his team an advantage, and he's had two weeks to prepare. The Chiefs do a good job of running the football with Jamaal Charles and Knile Davis, and the Chargers struggled to defend the run last week against Oakland.

The Chiefs will figure out a way to bottle up Branden Oliver and put enough pressure on Philip Rivers to get him off of the field on third down. The Chiefs are No. 4 in the NFL in third-down defense (34.4 percent).

These games between the Chargers and Chiefs are usually close, with four of the last six games decided by three points or fewer. We'll see another close one on Sunday. But after winning five straight, San Diego hits a bump in the road.

My prediction: Chiefs 24, Chargers 23

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

And then their beat writer predicts us to win!

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eric D. Williams
                      My prediction: Chiefs 24, Chargers 23
                      They are going to pressure Rivers, bottle up Oliver and get Bolts off the field on third down. At the same time Reid is going to devise a master game plan, Chiefs will run the ball well and are well rested to boot. The Chiefs win by 1. 1?

With everything going the Chiefs way, Bolts are still in it? Great!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

If KC can come up with some answers for getting enough DB on the field, they will make this a close game. They are a good, division opponent so they will be tough. But they do a great job of taking away the deeper passes and then a lot of QB don't like to check down to the last options and RB. Rivers will do that all day long if they take away the deeper passes, until someone tries to jump the short route, and then it is off to the races.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Matchup: Kansas City Chiefs at San Diego Chargers

Spread: Chargers -4
                          Public consensus pick: 51 percent picked Chargers

Public perception: Action is pretty split at PickCenter now, though other bet-tracking sites had much higher percentages on Kansas City at higher numbers, as this line opened at San Diego minus-5.5 at most books. Most people also remember K.C. coach Andy Reid is usually great after a bye week (13-5 ATS dating back to his days in Philly).

Wiseguys' view: Sharps were on the Chiefs early as well to drive the number down. San Diego failed to cover for the first time last week in win over Oakland, but remains tied for tops in the league at 5-1 ATS and minus-4 will look like a bargain for some.

Tuley's Take: Even though I've been high on the Chargers all year, I was happy to fade them last week in a letdown spot, but I'm not about to do that this week as they won't be looking past the Chiefs. The pick: Pass (pool play: Chargers).

Comment

Working...
                          X