• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    Yea, if only Bochy "subscribed" to this boring brand of baseball, I would still be watching baseball. But, unfortunately, he and others, because of their success at winning games, this is the way the game is normally played now. It's fucking boring.

I still watch the Padres, but I don't watch anybody else - unless you count the Padres' opponents. And, even then, I don't really pay attention. It's background noise.

I just looked up some stats.

We had 14 complete games in 1998.

By comparison, the team that just won the World Series this year had seven.

Kevin Brown and Andy Ashby averaged about 7 innings per start in 1998.

Again, by comparison, the top two pitchers from this year's champs got about 6.3 innings per start.
    The 14 CGs by the Pads in 1998 were because of Brown's 7. They had 5 CGs in 97 and 5 in 99. Had more to do with Kevin Brown than Stewart.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

It's just shit I like.
      Dude, you should come visit! I'm good for at least one massive dump a day!
      Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        The 14 CGs by the Pads in 1998 were because of Brown's 7. They had 5 CGs in 97 and 5 in 99. Had more to do with Kevin Brown than Stewart.
        Dave Stewart was only pitching coach for 1998. I remember the year. The announcers, Jerry Coleman mostly, kept mentioning how much Dave Stewart encouraged his starters to pitch as many innings as possible.

1998 was the 2nd-most amount of innings Kevin Brown pitched in his career. The dude was in the league for almost 20 years.
        1998 was the most amount of innings Andy Ashby ever pitched. The dude was in the league for more than a decade.
        1998 was the most amount of innings Joey Hamilton ever pitched. The dude was in the league for more than a decade.

I think Dave Stewart had a lot to do with number of innings pitched by starters in 1998. It sure as Panama's shit wasn't Bruce Bochy who wanted those starters out there.
        Last edited by thelightningwill; 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          Dude, you should come visit! I'm good for at least one massive dump a day!
          Closet Browns Fan tardmark:
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

By comparison, the team that just won the World Series this year had seven.
            And Bochy managed both teams.

This year's Giants didn't have much behind Bumgarner. Hudson and Peavy and old. Vogelsong is an innings eater, but not of the caliber to finish games. Cain wasn't much of a factor as he only pitched 15 games. Lincecum isn't what he was and was in the bullpen for the postseason. I'm not sure that's a reflection of specialization. I just think aside from Bumgarner, Bochy didn't have the depth represented by guys like Brown, Ashby and Sterling Hitchcock.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

U
              Dave Stewart was only pitching coach for 1998. I remember the year. The announcers, Jerry Coleman mostly, kept mentioning how much Dave Stewart encouraged his starters to pitch as many innings as possible.

1998 was the 2nd-most amount of innings Kevin Brown pitched in his career. The dude was in the league for almost 20 years.
              1998 was the most amount of innings Andy Ashby ever pitched. The dude was in the league for more than a decade.
              1998 was the most amount of innings Joey Hamilton ever pitched. The dude was in the league for more than a decade.

I think Dave Stewart had a lot to do with number of innings pitched by starters in 1998. It sure as Panama's shit wasn't Bruce Bochy who wanted those starters out there.
              The numbers indicate that Stewart's influence was nominal at best. Brown was also on the team one year and take him out of the equation and the number of complete games are the same. In other words, Bochy still called the shots despite whatever Stewart might have wanted. Maybe that's why Stew bailed after one year.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Gotta love the Onion:

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  U

The numbers indicate that Stewart's influence was nominal at best. Brown was also on the team one year and take him out of the equation and the number of complete games are the same. In other words, Bochy still called the shots despite whatever Stewart might have wanted. Maybe that's why Stew bailed after one year.
                  I'm not sure how the stats I provided showed a nominal-at-best influence. Two starters, under Dave Stewart, threw more innings than they ever did in their careers. And the other threw the second most innings in what was nearly a 2-decade career.

But, anyway - one last try.

I did a Google search and found Bob Chandler's book.

I couldn't figure out how to do a link. So, just Google Bob Chandler's book, Tales from the San Diego Padres. Then scroll to page 126.

I'm out of this conversation.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I'm not sure how the stats I provided showed a nominal-at-best influence. Two starters, under Dave Stewart, threw more innings than they ever did in their careers. And the other threw the second most innings in what was nearly a 2-decade career.

But, anyway - one last try.

I did a Google search and found Bob Chandler's book.

I couldn't figure out how to do a link. So, just Google Bob Chandler's book, Tales from the San Diego Padres. Then scroll to page 126.

I'm out of this conversation.

My issue is your comment that "Stewart made that team", minimizing Bochy who was the manager. I'm just showing you that despite Hamilton and Ashby's individual improvements, as a team they were the same with the exception of the addition of Kevin Brown, who I guarantee (as sure as Panama's shit) that Dave Stewart had nothing to do with. Brown was a mean mofo and did not need Stewart to light a fire under him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Wat can Brown do for you?
                      As sure as Panama's shit?
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        Wat can Brown do for you?
                        As sure as Panama's shit?
                        Panama Brown. A little Maui Wowie, but mostly Labrador.

Comment

Working...
                        X