How Much Does Better (or Appropriate) Coaching Affect Player Potential?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Very interesting thought. Makes me wonder how many of the QB's that were so great in college but washed out in the NFL did so because of the coaching? Also, what about the reverse - Tom Brady was just so-so in college but look how he turned out - was it the coaching?
    Or how Jerry Rice would had developed without Walsh and playing with Montana. As a rookie he dropped a ton of passes. The 49’er fan base was not happy with him his rookie year.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Or Matt Leinart. One scout compares him to Garoppolo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnbQXPCFvRU
      Well, Jimmy G DID make it to the SB...so, not too shabby...

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Or how Jerry Rice would had developed without Walsh and playing with Montana. As a rookie he dropped a ton of passes. The 49’er fan base was not happy with him his rookie year.
        How would Montana have done had he not played under Bill Walsh?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Well, that's a lot of unanswered questions...

Comment

• charger1993
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

How would Montana have done had he not played under Bill Walsh?
            Thats one of the better questions, Montana's arm was never anything to brag about, so under a different coach who didnt utilize the talent montana had, he probably would have been ryan fitzpatrick of 90s.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I'm more interested in our OL coach. Teach 'em to toss grizzlies, Campen!

Comment

• charger1993
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                I'm more interested in our OL coach. Teach 'em to toss grizzlies, Campen!
                im talking about all players, im genuinely curious if anyone has any experience for example " if anyone coached in college on this board or part of the staff and saw how the coaching affected a top recruit coming in" ive always been fascinated by the thought that 1 coach could completely alter a players future no matter the talent.

Think about it like this, drew brees was good for us, but injured. He goes to new orleans with a new coach in sean payton and he looked like a completely new player.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Very interesting thought. Makes me wonder how many of the QB's that were so great in college but washed out in the NFL did so because of the coaching? Also, what about the reverse - Tom Brady was just so-so in college but look how he turned out - was it the coaching?
                  brady looked great in his final bowl game against florida. scouts just missed it.

The Beard wouldn't be in the HOF if not for Coryell

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    It's scary. J. Herbert could be the next B. Quinn !
                    Herbet has potential to be better than Tyrod Taylor.

Originally posted by Classic View Post

More Charger fans had more confidence in Ryan Leaf than Herbert. The unreasonable hate he is getting from fans and critics of the Chargers before taking a snap is getting ridiculous. It's almost like the majority of them secretly wish for him to fail.
                    The team could have done much worse in finding a solution to Rivers departure. I'm glad the Dolphins took Tua.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                      San Diego Native
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Farmington, NM
                      • Send PM

Tom Brady was just so-so in college but look how he turned out - was it the coaching?
                      We may get a chance to find out in Tampa Bay.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Las Vegas, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        Good thread. I think Mahomes is a great example of this. Andy Reid is perfect coach for Mahomes and runs the perfect offense for him. Give him to Norv Turner or Jon Gruden or Tom Coughlin and he may look like a bust. Same thing for Lamar Jackson and Harbuagh. Harbaugh showed a lot of flexibility
                        I am not denying Andy Reid as a great coach. But he also coached the following:

Vince Young
                        Mike McMahon
                        Doug Pederson
                        Koy Detmer
                        AJ Feeley
                        Jeff Garcia
                        Kevin Kolb
                        Nick Foles
                        Mike Vick
                        Alex Smith

Successful: Mcnabb and Mahomes

So it is relative. Coaching matters but so does QB talent, work ethic, competitiveness, fearlessness, confidence.

With Justin Herbert this is how I view him today going into his rookie season.
                        Coaching: Shane Steichen and Pep Hamilton still undetermined, they have the guy with the skill set they favor, now it is watch and see. I view Anthony Lynn as a mentor and leader more than a tactician, in that role he is a strong +.
                        Talent: No denying Herbert has all the tools +
                        Work Ethic: He is a hard worker being successful on the field and with academics so gets a +
                        Competitiveness: He has shown he can compete but I don't see the Philip Rivers fire yet so give him a minus for now
                        Fearlessness: As a rookie it is normal to have some fear but he needs to get rid of it quick another minus
                        Confidence: TBD, needs some early success to believe he belongs. Lynn important with this

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

im talking about all players, im genuinely curious if anyone has any experience for example " if anyone coached in college on this board or part of the staff and saw how the coaching affected a top recruit coming in" ive always been fascinated by the thought that 1 coach could completely alter a players future no matter the talent.

Think about it like this, drew brees was good for us, but injured. He goes to new orleans with a new coach in sean payton and he looked like a completely new player.
                          LOL! OH, I've thought about it.
                          I think it was mostly Drew. Peyton helped but Drew had a huge chip on his shoulder before the injury when AJ traded for PR and had alreadystepped up his game.
                          Insult-Injury-Insult-Rehab sequence and Drew, who was already good became intensely focused, burningly committed to proving that AJ & the Chargers were total ass-hats for letting him leave, and he did and has done exactly that.

Comment

Working...
                          X