How Much Does Better (or Appropriate) Coaching Affect Player Potential?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
    What might have happened to a player career and potential if they were drafted by a team with a better coach? Or organization? For example i was watching the unexpected shootout between the lions and browns in 2009, and i couldn't help but wonder to my self hoe good could brady quinn have been if when he was drafted he had a coach like sean payton or mike holmegreen, or belichek? U could see the potential in him, but ive always wondered how important the coaching is to a fresh nfl player for the rest of their career
    Tons!!!....

just remember how much better chargers got When Bobby Ross took over..... same personnel were suddenly winners!

Same almost instant reversal happened when Coryel took over......

Imagine if our 14-2 team was coached by bellycheat instead of brain-farting multiple times against him????? we likely would have won the SB.....

Comment

• JPPT1974
      May Day 2024!
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Yeah as you can go from a coach that can be tough and really bring a toxic hostile environment to that of a player's coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Tons!!!....

just remember how much better chargers got When Bobby Ross took over..... same personnel were suddenly winners!

Same almost instant reversal happened when Coryel took over......

Imagine if our 14-2 team was coached by bellycheat instead of brain-farting multiple times against him????? we likely would have won the SB.....
        When you look at Rivers with Turner and McCoy - he lost 10 years of his career from inadequate coaching. Lynn has had some growing pains - I think he has problems with clock management and game management but I think he is a good leader. There is zero doubt a good solid football coach helps players.

Its why I was surprised Bieniemy didn't get a look because Coach Reid seems to know how to mentor guys to become good coaches.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

More Charger fans had more confidence in Ryan Leaf than Herbert. The unreasonable hate he is getting from fans and critics of the Chargers before taking a snap is getting ridiculous. It's almost like the majority of them secretly wish for him to fail.
          The bar has been set so low that all herbert has to do is walk over it.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
            San Diego Native
            • Feb 2019
            • Farmington, NM
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
            More Charger fans had more confidence in Ryan Leaf than Herbert. The unreasonable hate he is getting from fans and critics of the Chargers before taking a snap is getting ridiculous. It's almost like the majority of them secretly wish for him to fail.
            I don't wish Justin to fail but I am fearful he will. But, can you blame me?

I remember watching Ryan Leaf play in his first pre-season game. I snuck (sneaked?) out of a wedding reception dinner to watch him play. I was so excited.

It isn't that I have less confidence in Justin, it's that the Ryan Leaf experience was so overwhelmingly bad that it still lingers. Leaf's failure was so epic and set the franchise back so long that even 22 years later the taint, or at least the memory of it, is sticking to the new kid.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Ryan Leaf established a standard for horrible QB choices. I suspect that a majority of Chargers fans today are aware of his example. Chargers fans when he was drafted didn't have that history. Once burnt, twice shy.
              Personally I'm confident that Herbert is a better QB. How much better remains to be seen but I suspect he'll be in the NFL a lot longer.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

I don't wish Justin to fail but I am fearful he will. But, can you blame me?

I remember watching Ryan Leaf play in his first pre-season game. I snuck (sneaked?) out of a wedding reception dinner to watch him play. I was so excited.

It isn't that I have less confidence in Justin, it's that the Ryan Leaf experience was so overwhelmingly bad that it still lingers. Leaf's failure was so epic and set the franchise back so long that even 22 years later the taint, or at least the memory of it, is sticking to the new kid.
                On the bright side, at least we didn't give up a ton of high draft picks for Herbie...as an added plus, there have been NO reports about emotional issues with Herbie, as there were with Leaf...which the Bolts chose to ignore...

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

First round Qbs are not sure things, so anxiety is understandable. But Herbert is NOT Leaf. Leaf's psychological issues were well known when he was drafted but were ignored due to his physical talents.And it wasn't just Beatherd; a lot of 'experts' had him ranked ahead of Manning because of his talent and 'gun slinger' mentality. Herbert is a good, humble, intelligent kid from a good family. He is not going to act like Leaf did. Herbert may have more physical talent than Leaf did. His arm is just as strong, he is taller (but not heavier because Leaf was a little pudgy) and more athletic. He still may not pan out, but I don't think any of us should worry he is Ryan Leaf jr.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Herbert would be pissed if he knew people we're comparing him to Ryan Leaf! That's a major implosion combined with childish immaturity that Herbert has not shown at all . Leaf would have needed five years on the bench just to grow up!
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Nobody is comparing Herbert to Leaf. Nobody's comparing him to Dan Fouts neither.
                      Just wait and see. Maybe a R. Wilson or a D. Brees ?

Comment

• charger1993
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        Nobody is comparing Herbert to Leaf. Nobody's comparing him to Dan Fouts neither.
                        Just wait and see. Maybe a R. Wilson or a D. Brees ?
                        Nope. Herbert from his play reminds me of jay Cutler.its not an entirely bad thing, cutler was good in denver, just arrogant and lazy, im talking about the physical similarities and how they both play, throws rockets, not alot of touch. Mobile, tall guy. Alot of resemblances between the 2. Now do i think hell be cutler, no. But right now thats the best comp i can see

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                          ~ Charger Fan ~
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Jupiter, FL
                          • Send PM

I still ask myself one question when evaluating a young QB: are they more like Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning? It’s amazing how well that one question works!

Comment

Working...
                          X