Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
    IMO, I think the Chargers don't prioritize DL all that much because they seem to believe that the best DL is a fresh DL, and that it's pretty much a waste to spend high draft picks on a position that they want to rotate bodies into. Also, most of the time only two DL are on the field due to the spread out nature of today's NFL offenses.
    The numbers don't bear it out.
    Snaps
    798........Liuget
    661........Reyes
    338........Lissemore
    303........Mathews
    282........Palepoi
    73..........Carrethers
    47..........Guy

We tend to play Liuget and Reyes the most, and everyone else is pretty distant second. I don't know exactly how many snaps we played, but Weddle was on the field for 1047, just to give a sense of scale. So, Reyes and Liuget get about 80% and just shy of 70% of the total possible defensive snaps

The Chargers prefer to put LIuget and Reyes out on the filed as much as they can, and everyone else gets a few token snaps here and there. It's not that it's such a bad plan, to have the 1st and 2nd round picks playing so much, just that if they were playing that much, they should be playing well, and too often they aren't..

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The numbers don't bear it out.
      Snaps
      798........Liuget
      661........Reyes
      338........Lissemore
      303........Mathews
      282........Palepoi
      73..........Carrethers
      47..........Guy

We tend to play Liuget and Reyes the most, and everyone else is pretty distant second. I don't know exactly how many snaps we played, but Weddle was on the field for 1047, just to give a sense of scale. So, Reyes and Liuget get about 80% and just shy of 70% of the total possible defensive snaps

The Chargers prefer to put LIuget and Reyes out on the filed as much as they can, and everyone else gets a few token snaps here and there. It's not that it's such a bad plan, to have the 1st and 2nd round picks playing so much, just that if they were playing that much, they should be playing well, and too often they aren't..
      Cool numbers. Looks like they play two guys quite a bit - Liuget and Reyes, so they might think paying for two of the positions might be worth it. I think those numbers include special teams as well because Weddle's number of plays are greater than the number of defensive plays by the Charger defense which is 988.

If I divide their totals by Weddle's I get 2.8 players per play (assuming Weddle is in 100% of the snaps).
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

They do play quite a bit, but given the production they had, or lack thereof, and the production other players had, despite lack of playing time, it makes you wonder if the team might not be better suited overall to play guys like Mathews more, at the expense of playing time for Liuget and Reyes.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          They do play quite a bit, but given the production they had, or lack thereof, and the production other players had, despite lack of playing time, it makes you wonder if the team might not be better suited overall to play guys like Mathews more, at the expense of playing time for Liuget and Reyes.
          You can yell this from the top of the mountain, and in Reyes' case I would prefer he only play pass rushing downs, but given the extension, I doubt very much the coaching staff or GM agrees with your take on Liuget or that his playing time decreases significantly. You have made it clear that you would prefer to move on from both players, the coaches and Gm apparently disagree. I do think the writing is on the wall for Reyes....man up or ship out.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I don't like the arguments that end with - the coaching staff disagrees with you. The coaching staff disagreeing with Steve does not mean the coaching staff is right.

It's like some peace dove thinking he's won an argument against a warhawk by saying the Obama administration disagrees with bombing Iran. The peace dove might be right that bombing Iran is a bad idea, but the peace dove doesn't win the argument simply by saying the people in charge disagree with the guy he's arguing against.

Yes, the Chargers, and not Steve, get the final say in what the Chargers do. But the Chargers are sometimes wrong. Actually, after 50 years of zero Super Bowl victories, I would say the Chargers are usually wrong.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
              I don't like the arguments that end with - the coaching staff disagrees with you. The coaching staff disagreeing with Steve does not mean the coaching staff is right.

It's like some peace dove thinking he's won an argument against a warhawk by saying the Obama administration disagrees with bombing Iran. The peace dove might be right that bombing Iran is a bad idea, but the peace dove doesn't win the argument simply by saying the people in charge disagree with the guy he's arguing against.

Yes, the Chargers, and not Steve, get the final say in what the Chargers do. But the Chargers are sometimes wrong. Actually, after 50 years of zero Super Bowl victories, I would say the Chargers are usually wrong.
              Big shock....u don't like arguments that begin with...... I suggest you take a look at changing strains you are smokin'..that one brings out all negative emotions.....lol

But seriously, neither does Steve's posts make his view correct. My opinion is that Luiget has played well for the most part, and having some sort of OLB support, instead of the scrub team (yes, due to injuries) that has been flanking him on the inside and outside for most of the past two seasons, and his play will benefit. I do agree that Reyes is in need of a fire being lit under his ass. I am ok with this signing. I also have been one that has wanted us to draft a DE each if the past two years. Hopefully it is addressed early next draft. by no means am I saying that I am correct with respect to Liuget....time will tell as the contract plays out.
              Last edited by Panamamike; 06-10-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                Big shock....u don't like arguments that begin with...... I suggest you take a look at changing strains you are smokin'..that one brings out all negative emotions.....lol

But seriously, neither does Steve's posts make his view correct. My opinion is that Luiget has played well for the most part, and having some sort of OLB support, instead of the scrub team (yes, due to injuries) that has been flanking him on the inside and outside for most of the past two seasons, and his play will benefit. I do agree that Reyes is in need of a fire being lit under his ass. I am ok with this signing. I also have been one that has wanted us to draft a DE each if the past two years. Hopefully it is addressed early next draft. by no means am I saying that I am correct with respect to Liuget....time will tell as the contract plays out.
                That's a better argument.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post

The Chargers lack Steve-like abilities.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    The Chargers lack Steve-like abilities.
                    You are fricking funny, dude.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Funny how?

Like a fucking clown?
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        Funny how?

Like a fucking clown?
                        You amuse me. You make me laugh.
                        Yes, you're here to (Pesci-language deleted) amuse me.

Now, you listen to me.
                        Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut. - Jimmy Conway

Ugh, I'm off-topic again. I need to get transacted.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I like the DE we brought in from Denver, and the kid we drafted late. Not sure how much difference those two will make this year, hopefully Reyes does...something.

Comment

Working...
                          X