Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I don't get it either. Suh has never been an issue off the field, other than being a hard negotiator with the Lions. He's a disruptor on the field, but may be too expensive if they want to fix the OL and sign needs on the OL and defensive backfield. It could be Suh, or signing DB/OL.
    Haynesworth was just as dominant when he was a FA as Suh it. And While Haynesworth had somewhat of a history of being laszy, he worked very hard over the course of his rookie contract to make himself into a great DT, so he could cash in. However, he also was pretty up front that he really felt like his big goal in life was to get that huge contract, with the huge signing bonus and that was that. He immediately turned into a guy who was going through the motion. But the real beginning of the end was when Washington switched to the 34D when Shanny was hired. Haynesworth specifically signed with Washington because he wanted to play in a particular style of 43 D, that Washington played at that time. Haynesworth was particularly displeased with the 34 and basically checked out pretty quick after.

Suh also has a tendency to be stupid and not play his best football late in games. He has the similar alarming tendency to make alarming lapses in judgement on the field. The two stopping incidents, I saw a highlight of Suh trying to leg whip and kick a Texans QB in the nuts.... Not great signs for a guy who will now be on a very short leash from the NFL. It's not a direct comparison, but there are some similarities. Plus, there is the defense thing. I can't see many DL wanting to play in our D, since it is very restrictive when a guy like Suh can play in any D, and in the 43, he gets to attack upfeild and not have to play with a lot of discipline. For a guy with a history of a lack of discipline, I can't see him wanting to do the dirty work of taking on blockers so much.

The final thing with Suh is he just playing for the money or not. Give a guy $30-$50+ million in bonus money, you will find out pretty quick. There is not much incentive for him to play hard anymore. Even if it is not pure greed, it is going to be hard for him to not feel like he has arrived, and vindicate his tendency to be undisciplined. The whole super big money contract doesn't exactly bring out the best in people, particularly since there is no tie to him playing well.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Haynesworth was just as dominant when he was a FA as Suh it. And While Haynesworth had somewhat of a history of being laszy, he worked very hard over the course of his rookie contract to make himself into a great DT, so he could cash in. However, he also was pretty up front that he really felt like his big goal in life was to get that huge contract, with the huge signing bonus and that was that. He immediately turned into a guy who was going through the motion. But the real beginning of the end was when Washington switched to the 34D when Shanny was hired. Haynesworth specifically signed with Washington because he wanted to play in a particular style of 43 D, that Washington played at that time. Haynesworth was particularly displeased with the 34 and basically checked out pretty quick after.

Suh also has a tendency to be stupid and not play his best football late in games. He has the similar alarming tendency to make alarming lapses in judgement on the field. The two stopping incidents, I saw a highlight of Suh trying to leg whip and kick a Texans QB in the nuts.... Not great signs for a guy who will now be on a very short leash from the NFL. It's not a direct comparison, but there are some similarities. Plus, there is the defense thing. I can't see many DL wanting to play in our D, since it is very restrictive when a guy like Suh can play in any D, and in the 43, he gets to attack upfeild and not have to play with a lot of discipline. For a guy with a history of a lack of discipline, I can't see him wanting to do the dirty work of taking on blockers so much.

The final thing with Suh is he just playing for the money or not. Give a guy $30-$50+ million in bonus money, you will find out pretty quick. There is not much incentive for him to play hard anymore. Even if it is not pure greed, it is going to be hard for him to not feel like he has arrived, and vindicate his tendency to be undisciplined. The whole super big money contract doesn't exactly bring out the best in people, particularly since there is no tie to him playing well.
      While I think Suh is a force, I agree with Steve regarding the risk involved.

Just not worth it for a team like us. Pass.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Um Suh made 24 mil last year... Would another 30 mil this year really make a difference?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• rikardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          While I think Suh is a force, I agree with Steve regarding the risk involved.

Just not worth it for a team like us. Pass.
          I think it depends on how the contract is structure; if TT structures the contract that we can cut Suh prior to year 3 if he does not play well the first 2 years with very little damage to our cap, I say why not...
          Last edited by rikardo; 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

That wont happen. Not unless you make over 50 million guaranteed over the first 2 years.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
              I think it depends on how the contract is structure; if TT strctures the contract that we cab cut Suh prior to year 3 if he does not play well the first 2 years with very little damage to our cap, I say why not...
              Doubt his agent signs any contract like that.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I'm just saying that his motivation may have been to get the money. It may also have been to become the highest paid defensive player in football. Whatever, his motivation, does he still have it?

If you think he does, then you can see the point. However, you have to acknowledge that if he is not as motivated, then he is going to be a guy getting a huge sum of money, more then all our DL got paid last year together, and he may not be any more productive then all our DL were last year. It is just a lot of money and will set the team way, way back if we are wrong. Not only will the DL production remain about the same, then it hurts our ability to upgrade other spots.

If we do hit on him, then he can be the type of guy who gets us over the top and dominates, although we still need to upgrade some other spots on D.And if we do pay him, is the expectation going to be so high that we can stand to have a 10 sack a year guy getting $20-30 mill per season? I can't help but think people will be disappointed if his production isn't huge, and based on history, it won't be.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

When was the last mega FA signing that panned out for any team?

It looks sexy on paper, but I don't think this is a good fit for where this team currently is.

Get those Foley/Godfrey/Goff type of players in FA and focus on getting studs through the draft. The only true, consistent way to get better. Suh is not gonna make us a contender overnight.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Peyton Manning

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

It looks sexy on paper, but I don't think this is a good fit for where this team currently is.

Get those Foley/Godfrey/Goff type of players in FA and focus on getting studs through the draft. The only true, consistent way to get better. Suh is not gonna make us a contender overnight.
                      Last I checked those guys didn't win us anything either

Most recently when AJ signed a slew of mediocre players instead resigning VJ. How did that work out?

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

1. When was the last time a player like Suh was a FA?

2. Suh changes the entire defense by himself. Chargers don't have anyone right now offenses scheme around. Does signing Suh make the chargers a contender? Yup.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Houston is 11-21 with JJ Watt the last two years
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...