• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
    No more injured/injury-prone players - do make sure due diligence is done (DDDD), please TT!
    Crabtree isn't an injury-prone player. Looks like 2013 was the only season he had a major injury. My hope is that his achillies is healed enough for him to have more explosion in his stop and starts and jumping ability. Seems like he'd be healed up by now if he was operated on in 2013. He might have a resurgent year.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
      I would like us to go to draft with as little pressing needs as possible. Right now we need 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 OT, 2OLB and 1DL. That my opinion. And of this positions normally WR have the longest learning curve. I would like the Chargers to resolve this needs in FA. I also hope 1 OLB is vet added (Greg Hardy fills the bill IMO)
      Allen, Floyd, Stevie, Jones, Inman, Perriman is a good looking group of WRs. So your saying you dont want to draft a WR this year? In a draft that is loaded with good WRs? Do you think we keep 7 WRs?

I see us drafting a WR this year. Adding Stevie means we signed 2 free agent WRs. Cant see us signing a 3rd. TT has already said Jones will be used as a vertical threat.

I also consider Woodhead a RB/WR

Comment

• rikardo
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Allen, Floyd, Stevie, Jones, Inman, Perriman is a good looking group of WRs. So your saying you dont want to draft a WR this year? In a draft that is loaded with good WRs? Do you think we keep 7 WRs?

I see us drafting a WR this year. Adding Stevie means we signed 2 free agent WRs. Cant see us signing a 3rd. TT has already said Jones will be used as a vertical threat.

I also consider Woodhead a RB/WR
        Your right I actually forgot about Jacoby Jones personally I don't expect much from him out of the WR position. My thought process is we need to replace Royal's production and Im expecting a really bad year from Floyd base on what I saw the 2nd half of the season from our WRs they could not get seperation if my memory is correct.

Comment

• BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

2 WR: We bring in either Stevie or Shorts. Crabtree too similar to KA IMO. The second slot is a draft pick for sure.
          1 RB: Probably 1st round pick, Gordon? Don't like the idea of drafting a RB with an injury coming in after Mathews, so no Gurley
          1 OLB: Hardy please, could make free agency a big win
          1 DL: Draft
          2 OL: Draft + 1 value free agent

1st 3 rounds RB, WR, BA in what order to be determined

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

I'm fine with Hardy, but significant clauses need to be in the contract to protect the team. One misstep should be able to trigger a termination clause.

As far as the vet WR's are concerned, meh. Not a fan of any to be honest. They all have issues. Ideally we can sign 2 and let them battle it out. No guaranteed contracts.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Shareese Wright only gets a 1 year deal. Going to Niners for 4 million. I feel better about not being thrilled with him but maybe we could of got him for one year for 3-3.5 million with incentives to be our Nickelback. But that would be the cap hit on him too.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Shareese Wright only gets a 1 year deal. Going to Niners for 4 million. I feel better about not being thrilled with him but maybe we could of got him for one year for 3-3.5 million with incentives to be our Nickelback. But that would be the cap hit on him too.
                He wasn't going to come back here to be a nickel back on a prove it contract. He needed to be assured a chance at starting and that simply won't be the case here with Verrett and Flowers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  He wasn't going to come back here to be a nickel back on a prove it contract. He needed to be assured a chance at starting and that simply won't be the case here with Verrett and Flowers.
                  I agree. Im just a bit shocked he only got a one year offer.....which pretty much is a prove it deal.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Maybe we are low balling the WRs because of a deep draft...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• KarlC
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                      We still need a backup that can play LOT, especially with Dunlap's concussion history.
                      Thank you. No one has mentioned this, but King kind of has a glass brainbox. One more might be his last.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Well, if injury histories are any indication of the future, whoever is our backup CB will start many games this season.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Chargers free-agency updateRemaining money

The Chargers have a little over $21 million in salary-cap space, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They will need to squirrel away a couple million to sign draft picks and make transactions for injury replacements during the regular season. Telesco also likely will look to get contract extensions done at some point during the offseason for players in the final year of their contracts like Corey Liuget, Philip Rivers and Eric Weddle. However, the Chargers still have enough cap space to add players at key areas of need through free agency.

Signed

OL King Dunlap: The Chargers re-signed Dunlap to a four-year, $28 million deal, including $13 million in guaranteed money. “In our minds he was the best tackle available really on the market,” Telesco said. “And it just so happened that he was with us last year, so that was a key transaction to get done just before free agency started.”

CB Brandon Flowers: The Chargers re-signed Flowers to a four-year, $36 million deal, including $20 million in guaranteed money. Telesco said that Flowers was one of the top two cornerbacks available on the market. “He fits in with us both on and off the field, so it’s been great having him here,” Telesco said.

OL Orlando Franklin: With Denver not interested in bringing him back, Franklin signed a five-year, $36.5 million deal, including $19 million in guarantees. Franklin will play left guard next to Dunlap. Telesco said Franklin was the team’s No. 1 target in free agency to upgrade the offensive line.

WR Jacoby Jones: The Chargers signed Jones to a two-year, $5.5 million deal, and he should provide a significant upgrade to San Diego’s return game.

DL Ricardo Mathews: He played with a lot of energy and effort in 2014 and was rewarded with a one-year, $920,000 deal to return to the Chargers.

C/G Trevor Robinson: He earned his keep as an injury replacement at center and returns on a two-year deal worth up to $4.25 million.

S Jimmy Wilson: The San Diego native will compete for the starting strong safety job next to Weddle, signing a $4.25 million deal.

Visited

WR Stevie Johnson: The Bay Area native visited this weekend, but left without a deal and is headed back East for a visit with the New England Patriots. At 6-foot-2 and 207 pounds, Johnson is a big body who can make contested catches. He also provides versatility, with an ability to play on the perimeter or in the slot. At 28 years old, Johnson still has some gas left in the tank, although he did not put up good numbers during his only season with the San Francisco 49ers in 2014. It will be interesting to see if the Chargers remain in the running for his services.

Persons of interest

WR Michael Crabtree: According to ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim, Crabtree is leaning toward the Chargers in his hunt for a new team. Selected No. 10 overall by the 49ers in the first round of the 2009 draft, Crabtree appears ready to join a new team. At 6-1 and 214 pounds, Crabtree, 27, has good size, soft hands and is a polished route runner. However, Crabtree is not a burner, and appears similar to Keenan Allen in skill set. Like Johnson, Crabtree can play inside at slot as well.

WR Cecil Shorts: According to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, the Chargers have shown interest in Shorts. At 6-foot and 207 pounds, Shorts has some explosive play-making ability. However, staying healthy is an issue. Shorts has missed 14 games during his four seasons with the Jaguars due to various injuries and ended the 2012 and 2013 seasons on injured reserve.

Gone

S Marcus Gilchrist: Signed a four-year deal with the New York Jets.

RB Ryan Mathews: He signed a three-year, $11 million deal to join the Philadelphia Eagles in free agency. The Chargers appeared to have no real interest in bringing Mathews back at that price tag.

OL Chad Rinehart: The Chargers gained $3.35 million in salary-cap space by releasing Rinehart.

WR Eddie Royal: He signed a three-year, $15 million deal with Chicago, including $10 million in guaranteed money. Even though Royal was productive last season, the Chargers were not willing to pay that, and in fact asked Royal to take a pay cut to $2 million in total compensation in 2014.

LB Reggie Walker: The Chargers gained $1 million in salary-cap space by releasing Walker.

CB Shareece Wright: He signed a one-year, prove-it deal worth up to $4 million in joining the 49ers.

Spurned

WR Andre Johnson: Reportedly had a larger contract offer from San Diego, but signed a three-year, $21 million contract to join the Indianapolis Colts.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X