• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Good stuff again Xenos. Thanks for posting this stuff.
    Bolded are the I Info nuggets that standout to me.

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Today's report. Something on Tillery for you powderblueboy
    Also excited about Cortez Broughton at NT.
    https://theathletic.com/2014494/2020...ustin-herbert/

Chargers training camp practice report, Day 6: A big test for Justin Herbert

By Daniel Popper

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers wrapped up their first full week of training camp Friday morning at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex. Players will have the day off from practice Saturday before returning to the field Sunday. This is your Day 6 practice report.

‘Good to see him struggle’
    The acclimation period is over for rookie quarterback Justin Herbert. The training wheels are coming off. The Chargers are starting to put him in more difficult situations to see how he reacts.

The team finished practice Friday with two-minute-drills, 11-on-11. On two series, Herbert, working with the second-team offense, faced the Chargers’ first-team defense. That meant Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram coming off the edges and Derwin James roaming the middle of the field.

Herbert, unsurprisingly, floundered a bit. That was to be expected. In fact, it was really by design from the Chargers’ coaching staff.

Here is coach Anthony Lynn from before Friday’s practice, speaking on Herbert: “It’s good to see him struggle a little bit the last couple of days because I feel like we weren’t challenging him enough. This guy has a high football IQ, and he’s stepped right in and he’s looked like he’s been a seasoned vet. But that last couple days, he’s struggled a little bit. There’s a lot going on with protections when you start doing more third downs. There’s more volume in the offense right now. And so I think this is going to help him take the next step. It’s good for him to be uncomfortable. But as long as he’s uncomfortable and it doesn’t break his spirit, then I think that’s an opportunity for great growth. So I’m excited about him and where he’s going.”

During the first two-minute series, Herbert attempted a screen pass to his left. Ingram read Herbert’s eyes and jumped into the passing lane, snagging an interception. He returned it for a touchdown.

The next series started with 2:30 left on the clock. The offense started from deep in its own territory. Herbert looked better initially, gaining a first down on a quick throw over the middle to tight end Donald Parham. But things unraveled a bit from there. He was sacked on the next set of downs by Joey Bosa, who made quick work of right tackle Storm Norton. The Chargers then stalled and turned the ball over on downs after Herbert attempted to find Joe Reed in double coverage on a deep throw down the right sideline. The ball fell to the turf for an incomplete pass.

Herbert looked poised and in control when working against the second- and third-team defenses over the first few days of practice. But facing the Chargers’ talented first-team defense is a different animal. This is valuable and essential experience for the rookie, and he will only get better because of it. The encouraging part is that the Chargers felt confident putting Herbert in that position in the first week of camp. That speaks to the strides he already has made.

News and notes
    • Offensive play of the day: Tyrod Taylor hit Mike Williams for a 50-yard touchdown during 11-on-11s. Williams was double-covered on a go route down the right sideline. Taylor threw it to him anyway. Williams skied above cornerback Casey Hayward and made the catch easily. Taylor has developed a reputation as a cautious quarterback. But he has a receiver in Williams who thrives in jump-ball situations. He is one of the best in the league on those plays. It is a good sign for the Chargers’ offense that Taylor is willing to push the ball downfield to Williams on relatively risky throws. Taylor himself has acknowledged that, when throwing to Williams, these are less like 50-50 balls and more like 70-30 or 80-20 balls. He backed up that talk in Friday’s practice.
    • [B]Jerry Tillery is starting to flash as a pass-rusher. He lined up at three-technique defensive tackle against the first-team offensive line in 11-on-11s and sacked Taylor.
    • Cortez Broughton continues to make plays. He had a sack for the third straight day, bringing down Herbert on a rollout. Broughton’s 2019 rookie season was cut short when he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. He was a rotational interior defensive lineman before he got sick. Broughton can play both nose tackle and three-tech and is playing his way onto the roster right now.
    • Trent Scott is now firmly entrenched as the second-team right guard. He has played exclusively there over the past three practices. I expect him to be a more consistent player on the inside.[/B]
    • Keenan Allen got the day off Friday, which allowed free agent acquisition Darius Jennings to work with the first-team offense. He took advantage of his opportunity, catching a touchdown pass from Taylor in the red zone. Jalen Guyton is leading the WR3 competition, but Jennings is pushing him, especially after Friday’s practice.
    • Chris Harris is dealing with some leg soreness, so he was out for the second straight practice. Desmond King played slot corner with the first team and made a stout run stop during 11-on-11s.
    • Rookie LB Kenneth Murray had his pads on for the first time since Monday, but he was still limited to individual drills. Lynn keeps throwing around the word “careful” when discussing all his sore players. He seems determined to avoid injury catastrophe in training camp. Based on last season, I can’t blame him.
    • Undrafted rookie Gabe Nabers was the fullback with the first-team offense.
    • Scott Quessenberry worked in at center with the first-team offense, as the Chargers tried to lessen Mike Pouncey’s load.
    • DL Damion Square didn’t practice for the second straight day. He walked off with trainers near the end of Wednesday’s practice. Lynn said Square’s status is “day to day.”
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      News and notes
      • Defensive tackle Cortez Broughton continues to flash. He had another sack Thursday and got some first-team reps at nose tackle, with Damion Square sitting out practice.
      • Jerry Tillery is starting to flash as a pass-rusher. He lined up at three-technique defensive tackle against the first-team offensive line in 11-on-11s and sacked Taylor.
      • Cortez Broughton continues to make plays. He had a sack for the third straight day, bringing down Herbert on a rollout. Broughton’s 2019 rookie season was cut short when he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. He was a rotational interior defensive lineman before he got sick. Broughton can play both nose tackle and three-tech and is playing his way onto the roster right now.
      First, thanks for the great updates!
      Second, I was starting to worry about Broughton. He was beginning to fall off the radar. ChargersWire didn't even have him on their 53 man roster prediction. Maybe they forgot he was on the team. Looks like we're seeing the Cortez Broughton people were excited about when he was first drafted. Joseph, Jones, Broughton, Tillery... I'm really liking this DT group!

I think the only two players I haven't heard anything about are Nick Vigil and Malik Jefferson.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Second, I was starting to worry about Broughton. He was beginning to fall off the radar. ChargersWire didn't even have him on their 53 man roster prediction. Maybe they forgot he was on the team. Looks like we're seeing the Cortez Broughton people were excited about when he was first drafted. Joseph, Jones, Broughton, Tillery... I'm really liking this DT group!

I think the only two players I haven't heard anything about are Nick Vigil and Malik Jefferson.
        Vigil had a rep for whiffing with his last team...let's see if he shows any improvement...

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

I had Broughton as a top 100 prospect. Great to hear that he is making some noise. Square is squarely on the bubble unless we keep 9 DL. How long has it been since we had 8/9 guys that could all make significant contributions on the DL? 50+ sacks coming if we get quality DT play.

Vigil can play all 3 LB spots. He’s a lock I’d say. Malik looks like another year on the PS at least thus far.
          Last edited by like54ninjas; 08-21-2020, 11:08 PM.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Vigil had a rep for whiffing with his last team...let's see if he shows any improvement...
            A 15.9% MSTKL rate in 2019.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Tol
              From Accounting
              • Mar 2019
              • Carlsbad
              • Send PM

I'm interested in what the board thinks about the TE and FB position battles. Is Parham in the drivers seat for TE3? Is his 6'8" height what makes him appealing to make the roster? Is Gabe Nabers chances of making the roster solely at Fullback? I like his versatility in playing TE too, and at 6'3" 240 that seems like the natural spot for him. At 6'1" 252 I'm getting fire hydrant vibes from Bobby Holly and I like it. Teams like SF and KC have made good use of FB's like Juszczyk and Sherman, and they both have great TE's.

I see a niche spot on the team for all these guys, but there's not a lot of room. Who makes it, Who do you like, who do you got?

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

JH comes off as someone who understands the role adversity plays in growing as a player.
                And for good reason, he knows he has the physical and mental tools to grow from experience and quality coaching.
                Throw him to the wolves I say and expect him to be mentally tough. If his spirit breaks during his rookie contract, move on and draft another qb, life is short and we’re ringless.
                The one thing I would do different is to get him a reasonable amount of snaps with the first team offense once Taylor has had enough time to prepare as the starter.
                I really feel that he needs as much reps throwing to quality NFL receivers to develop his passing game.
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                  San Diego Native
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Farmington, NM
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                  A 15.9% MSTKL rate in 2019.
                  MSTKL stumped me. I am unfamiliar with the acronym and a google search proved fruitless. What does MSTKL stand for?

Wait... maybe missed tackles?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

MSTKL stumped me. I am unfamiliar with the acronym and a google search proved fruitless. What does MSTKL stand for?

Wait... maybe missed tackles?
                    Yep.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

I'm interested in what the board thinks about the TE and FB position battles. Is Parham in the drivers seat for TE3? Is his 6'8" height what makes him appealing to make the roster? Is Gabe Nabers chances of making the roster solely at Fullback? I like his versatility in playing TE too, and at 6'3" 240 that seems like the natural spot for him. At 6'1" 252 I'm getting fire hydrant vibes from Bobby Holly and I like it. Teams like SF and KC have made good use of FB's like Juszczyk and Sherman, and they both have great TE's.

I see a niche spot on the team for all these guys, but there's not a lot of room. Who makes it, Who do you like, who do you got?
                      Parham is our TE3 moving up to TE2 by mid season if his blocking can handle NFL caliber talent enough to not be a liability.
                      Nabors makes the roster as FB1 and TE4 because of his position flexibility and talent in the pass game vs. Holly ( who lands on the PS ) but if we only keep 5 WRs then Holly has a better chance to make the 53 with Nabors.

2021 TE class has talent and depth. I see us investing a mid round pick to bolster our roster as this will be VG or HH last year.
                      Last edited by like54ninjas; 08-22-2020, 06:11 AM.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Tough choices coming. Keep an extra OL? WR? FB? Can’t keep them all.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Not sure we use much FB playing out of the pistol as much as I think we will.

Comment

Working...
                          X