• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
    The negativity lies w/in the tweet. "Should have surgery now" who the hell is Smacksaw and what the F does he know about when he should have surgery. He loves to make people look bad... His one mans opinion is usually a glass half empty spin of negativety aimed at managment.
    how is his tweet wrong in this instance?

Regardless of what you think of the source of the tweet?
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      Guards and the center aren't looking worse right now. They are all looking bad. In fact the RG position is the 2nd best on the OL right now
      Based on what? RG has been a platoon of Porkchops and a rookie, and you think that's the 2nd best on the OL right now? Or, were you quoting some source? Either way I disagree. For as bad as the entire unit looked in Miami, I still say the tackles have been the most consistent and the interior line has been the biggest concern.
      sigpic

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

So Verrett should play out this season?
        That's up to the medical staff, not the Board.
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

He needs surgery. And recovery time.

Putting him out there for the rest of this season impacts next season
          Shutting him down this season impacts this season, and as thelightningwill stated so eloquently, some of us haven't given up on this season yet. It's not to the medically ignorant like you and me to make this decision. If the medical staff think he can play effectively through this injury without an great risk of aggravating the injury, then there is no point in shutting him down.
          Adipose

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Send PM

Not vague. 3 tears and rotator cuff damage.
            Ah, so you know the extent and location of the tears? The nature of the cuff damage? Do you know that they are the types of injuries that can be aggravated by playing through them?

If the medical people are saying, "Wait till the swelling is subsided so we can have a better look and give a more accurate prognosis," who are you to declare he must be shut down? Because Hacksaw said something???
            Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              Shutting him down this season impacts this season, and as thelightningwill stated so eloquently, some of us haven't given up on this season yet. It's not to the medically ignorant like you and me to make this decision. If the medical staff think he can play effectively through this injury without an great risk of aggravating the injury, then there is no point in shutting him down.
              You know, it's great that all of us can just spew our mindless shit on this board for lively discussion. News flash: We're all FOOTBALL ignorant, too. OIP isn't "making a decision" - WTF? He's throwing out his opinion. Just like you, and me, and thelighteningwill. And, in his opinion, Verrett should be IR'd so he has time to get the surgery. Does one now need a degree in something to offer an opinion? If so, then please keep YOUR posts to something you know about and have some REAL training in. Like singing; and opera.

OIP can only talk about film; thelightningwill can only talk about smoking weed and getting high. I can't talk about anything (much to everyone's delight).

Seriously, it's bullshit to try and shut someone down by saying he's "[such and such] ignorant".

Oh, and Verrett SHOULD be IR'd, IMO. I find it preposterous to think that anyone would even entertain the notion that he should be shot up with cortisone and "play through the injury". This board seems to delight in losing the battle AND losing the war. Of course, I guess that's our history as a team, and as fans, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

If the team had rested him in the Bronco game - LIKE I SAID THEY SHOULD - maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. He would have had 3 weeks to heal and MAY have been able to contribute in what's quickly becoming a draft-position season.
              Last edited by QSmokey; 11-04-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                You know, it's great that all of us can just spew our mindless shit on this board for lively discussion. News flash: We're all FOOTBALL ignorant, too. OIP isn't "making a decision" - WTF? He's throwing out his opinion. Just like you, and me, and thelighteningwill. And, in his opinion, Verrett should be IR'd so he has time to get the surgery. Does one now need a degree in something to offer an opinion? If so, then please keep YOUR posts to something you know about and have some REAL training in. Like singing; and opera.

OIP can only talk about film; thelightningwill can only talk about smoking weed and getting high. I can't talk about anything (much to everyone's delight).

Seriously, it's bullshit to try and shut someone down by saying he's "[such and such] ignorant".

Oh, and Verrett SHOULD be IR'd, IMO. I find it preposterous to think that anyone would even entertain the notion that he should be shot up with cortisone and "play through the injury". This board seems to delight in losing the battle AND losing the war. Of course, I guess that's our history as a team, and as fans, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

If the team had rested him in the Bronco game - LIKE I SAID THEY SHOULD - maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. He would have had 3 weeks to heal and MAY have been able to contribute in what's quickly becoming a draft-position season.
                Where did this come from all of a sudden? Somebody kick your dog or something?

Look, some of us have had labrum tears and have discussed options with doctors and physical therapists. We've heard SDfan, AFKaBKR, me, and others describe their experiences with labrum tears. The common thread seems to be that whether one can play through it, whether one risks making the tear worse, whether the pain is manageable, etc., etc., depends on the extent and location of the tear. I played part of a season of rugby with my labrum tear and it's fine. Only acts up when I attempt to military press or bear weight at a similar angle. All we've heard about Verrett's injury is that there are three tears and some cuff damage. To me, the cuff damage is more worrisome, but I'm not a doctor and have no experience with this kind of injury. But that is not the point. The point is that the decision to play is between Verrett and the medical staff. Your stance that he needs to be IR'd is like saying someone diagnosed with an ankle sprain should be IR'd. If the sprain involves full or multiple ligament tears, maybe he should; but it seems somewhat extreme that someone with a mild sprain (i.e., only partial ligament tear) should be IR'd when one can rebound from such an injury fairly quickly. We can't say.

You and OIP are free to hit the panic button if you like, but your assertion that Verrett needs to be IR'd because of a labrum tear is precisely like saying someone with an ankle sprain needs to be IR'd. (Both involve tears; ankle may not require surgery to repair but is a load-bearing joint.) Should Mathews be IR'd? Te'o? Let's handicap the team because you want players to be coddled despite the expert advice of medical people.

--

Edit: Oh, and btw, I did play football, and I worked in a hospital for 8 years. Not that I am claiming to have any experience at a professional level of football or have any medical training, but I'm not exactly coming from a place of complete ignorance.
                Last edited by Panama; 11-04-2014, 09:48 AM.
                Adipose

Comment

• TABF
                  Por debajo del promedio
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoCal
                  • Send PM

how is his tweet wrong in this instance?

Regardless of what you think of the source of the tweet?
                  The source is the only reason I replied... Dude, your from LA... You don't know Saw, like we know saw unless of course you are saw, which would explain a lot.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

I Saw that
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Varett doesn't need to be part of any offseason cohesion thing. The dude is a great player - when healthy. Already shown.

If there is serious risk to his career due to this injury then yeah sit him out. If there is concern about "cohesion" and "off season training camp", then don't worry.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        Where did this come from all of a sudden? Somebody kick your dog or something?

Look, some of us have had labrum tears and have discussed options with doctors and physical therapists. We've heard SDfan, AFKaBKR, me, and others describe their experiences with labrum tears. The common thread seems to be that whether one can play through it, whether one risks making the tear worse, whether the pain is manageable, etc., etc., depends on the extent and location of the tear. I played part of a season of rugby with my labrum tear and it's fine. Only acts up when I attempt to military press or bear weight at a similar angle. All we've heard about Verrett's injury is that there are three tears and some cuff damage. To me, the cuff damage is more worrisome, but I'm not a doctor and have no experience with this kind of injury. But that is not the point. The point is that the decision to play is between Verrett and the medical staff. Your stance that he needs to be IR'd is like saying someone diagnosed with an ankle sprain should be IR'd. If the sprain involves full or multiple ligament tears, maybe he should; but it seems somewhat extreme that someone with a mild sprain (i.e., only partial ligament tear) should be IR'd when one can rebound from such an injury fairly quickly. We can't say.

You and OIP are free to hit the panic button if you like, but your assertion that Verrett needs to be IR'd because of a labrum tear is precisely like saying someone with an ankle sprain needs to be IR'd. (Both involve tears; ankle may not require surgery to repair but is a load-bearing joint.) Should Mathews be IR'd? Te'o? Let's handicap the team because you want players to be coddled despite the expert advice of medical people.

--

Edit: Oh, and btw, I did play football, and I worked in a hospital for 8 years. Not that I am claiming to have any experience at a professional level of football or have any medical training, but I'm not exactly coming from a place of complete ignorance.
                        All of a sudden? WTF?!! I've been calling for Verrett to be RESTED since before Denver. AFTER the damage was done against Denver, I've been calling for him to be IR'd. Period. Nobody kicked my dog(s)...and, if they did, they wouldn't live to tell about it.

And I don't see OIP as a panic button type. It takes one to know one, ya know.

And finally, it's complete bullshit - IMIO (In My Ignorant Opinion) - to equate a labrum tear with a sprained ankle. Although, now that I think about, the infamous "high ankle sprain" is about as tough an injury as there is to recover from without going on IR (just behind the even more infamous "hamstring injury"). But if what we're reading is true, and the guy has 3 tears in his labrum, then I still haven't read anything from the "hospital workers" and or "football players" on this board which even comes close to explaining whey it's NOT a good idea to IR the guy.

Just because the Pollyannas think we still have a chance to win the Super Bowl?

Comment

• TTK
                          EX-Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • America's Finest City
                          • Send PM

Rest would fix Verrett's labrum? Not form what I understood. It was just a matter of time before it got worse and surgery was inevitable anyway.

He should probably shut it down but like others have said, none of us are his doctor so none of us really knows what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                          X