Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    What part of the shoulder labrum would make a tear less significant? If he plays through this he will be limited in what he can do and will likely suffer more damage. If he was an insurance salesman he could probably delay surgery until it is convenient to do so but as a football player doing his normal job is going to make his injury worse. The more damage there is the more work will be necessary to repair it. You do run the risk of damaging it so much that it cannot be repaired. That is what leads to joint replacement surgery.
    I'm no doctor, but this seems almost too obvious to me. I'm not sure why Panama, thelightningwill, and others, are putting up such a heated anti-campaign. If we all accept what I THOUGHT was a fact that Verrett had multiple tears in his labrum, and we can accept the fact that his chosen profession is physically demanding, then why is it SO FUCKING HARD to admit that playing a violent sport with an injury is maybe not the best idea.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I'm with Den on this one and I'm an insurance salesman!

Note: I'm sure Verret has a disability policy and he should read it before he practices next if he has not already. Would an insurance company consider a claim differently if he has been advised by a Dr to have surgery, but plays anyway and the result is more damage to his shoulder?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

How about letting the swelling go down before making a decision on whether he plays or not?
        I can only hope this is Wat our trained Medical staff is planning to do.
        If, IF he has a similar cuff injury to mine, which took 9 months to rehab post surgery, then they should do the surgery ASAP. That way he would have a shot at opening 2015 healthy and on time.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• SFW
          PB Official Game Thread Starter
          • Jul 2013
          • NY
          • USMC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          How about letting the swelling go down before making a decision on whether he plays or not?
          If, IF he has a similar cuff injury to mine, which took 9 months to rehab post surgery, then they should do the surgery ASAP. That way he would have a shot at opening 2015 healthy and on time.
          Wait, are you suggesting we give it a little bit of time and let the professionals make a determination whether he can/should play of not? That is preposterous! What would be the point of the board if us fans can't bicker over our pre-conceived notions and are logical assumptions.
          1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
          2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
          3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
          4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
          5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
          6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
          7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
            Wait, are you suggesting we give it a little bit of time and let the professionals make a determination whether he can/should play of not? That is preposterous! What would be the point of the board if us fans can't bicker over our pre-conceived notions and are logical assumptions.
            Does the player have 3 tears in his labrum...or not? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then I stand by what I said, swelling be damned. If "no", then we (well, me, at least) have been fed misinformation - so shame on me for believing it.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

"I'm not a doctor but I sure like to play one on the message boards."

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                The source is the only reason I replied... Dude, your from LA... You don't know Saw, like we know saw unless of course you are saw, which would explain a lot.
                I'm from SD.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  You know, it's great that all of us can just spew our mindless shit on this board for lively discussion. News flash: We're all FOOTBALL ignorant, too. OIP isn't "making a decision" - WTF? He's throwing out his opinion. Just like you, and me, and thelighteningwill. And, in his opinion, Verrett should be IR'd so he has time to get the surgery. Does one now need a degree in something to offer an opinion? If so, then please keep YOUR posts to something you know about and have some REAL training in. Like singing; and opera.

OIP can only talk about film; thelightningwill can only talk about smoking weed and getting high. I can't talk about anything (much to everyone's delight).

Seriously, it's bullshit to try and shut someone down by saying he's "[such and such] ignorant".

Oh, and Verrett SHOULD be IR'd, IMO. I find it preposterous to think that anyone would even entertain the notion that he should be shot up with cortisone and "play through the injury". This board seems to delight in losing the battle AND losing the war. Of course, I guess that's our history as a team, and as fans, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

If the team had rested him in the Bronco game - LIKE I SAID THEY SHOULD - maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. He would have had 3 weeks to heal and MAY have been able to contribute in what's quickly becoming a draft-position season.
                  Wow Tucker. Take it down a notch. Some posters, maybe more than some, just want to disagree with other posters regardless of their actual opinions. It's become commonplace here. Just roll with it
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    What part of the shoulder labrum would make a tear less significant? If he plays through this he will be limited in what he can do and will likely suffer more damage. If he was an insurance salesman he could probably delay surgery until it is convenient to do so but as a football player doing his normal job is going to make his injury worse. The more damage there is the more work will be necessary to repair it. You do run the risk of damaging it so much that it cannot be repaired. That is what leads to joint replacement surgery.
                    Should we start addressing you as Dr Den60 from now on?
                    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

I'm no doctor, but this seems almost too obvious to me. I'm not sure why Panama, thelightningwill, and others, are putting up such a heated anti-campaign. If we all accept what I THOUGHT was a fact that Verrett had multiple tears in his labrum, and we can accept the fact that his chosen profession is physically demanding, then why is it SO FUCKING HARD to admit that playing a violent sport with an injury is maybe not the best idea.
                      Because I and others hear have had labrum tears, and we know there are different degrees of labrum tears. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

Look, I know you think the ankle sprain analogy is ridiculous, but what is an ankle sprain? It is a partial or complete tear of one or more ligaments in the ankle. Yet you wouldn't be raising such a fuss if someone sat out 3-4 weeks from an ankle sprain (i.e., ankle ligament tear) and then played through the injury when it became manageable. Yes, there are two significant differences: (1) the ankle is load bearing and, therefore, under far more stress than the shoulder and more likely to be re-injured if not fully healed, and (2) ligaments repair themselves while cartilage does not.

The labrum is a rim of cartilage that surrounds the end of the arm bone to give it stability, as the arm bone does not completely fit in the shoulder socket. A tear may be very minor, much like fraying, and not affect shoulder stability. A tear can be located on the inferior (bottom) side of the shoulder and not cause significant pain or loss or strength. Or a tear could be located where it comes in contact with the biceps tendon, causing intense pain and loss of strength.

We simply don't know the degree and location of the tears. We can only speculate, while the doctors will make a decision based on sound medical knowledge, not fear or ignorance.

I think you guys imagine the labrum as something that it isn't and are rushing to conclusions without having all the facts. Rather than form opinions based on ignorance of human anatomy, why don't you either (1) do a little research or (2) listen to those who have a little (or a lot, in the case of Verrett's doctors) knowledge of the subject.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        Agreed. Let the swelling go down. Then the doctors will be able to assess the injury much more clearly. I don't think the team will risk Verrett's long-term viability for the sake of a few games if the damage is severe enough.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Does the player have 3 tears in his labrum...or not? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then I stand by what I said, swelling be damned. If "no", then we (well, me, at least) have been fed misinformation - so shame on me for believing it.
                          The answer is both "yes" and "you have been fed misinformation, so shame on you for believing it."

"3 tears" in and of itself tells us nothing. What is the extent and location of the tears and the nature of the damage to the cuff? That's the pertinent question.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X