Panthers @ Chargers Game Day Thread (Wk 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AFCWEST
    Registered Chiefs Fan
    • Dec 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
    Hi Posters!

I have read many blogs over the years, but decided to give my opinion on Herbert.. I am amazed at how homer some fans get when it comes to Herbert. I liked him a lot before and after the draft, but he was one of the more polarizing QBs to come out recently. There is still lots he needs to learn! Nobody will argue that he has a ridiculously high ceiling, but a fair observer should be able to see that he does have some flaws and he has gotten away with potentially throwing at least two more picks over the past two games, including a potential pick six. His interceptions have been at very critical times as well.

Personally, I would have liked for him to have had a red shirt year, just as Lynn, but injuries certainly have not allowed for that. Although it is very encouraging to see that he has improved his footwork / mechanics overall, but there are some inconsistency concerns still.
    Lynn should be gone next year so a new system will be in place. Why not find out what the kid does best and hire a coach to develop a system around his talent?
    Look what Burrow is doing with that awful Cinn roster. Sitting Burrow for a year would be a waste. At least Herbert has talent in place.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Hi Posters!

I have read many blogs over the years, but decided to give my opinion on Herbert.. I am amazed at how homer some fans get when it comes to Herbert. I liked him a lot before and after the draft, but he was one of the more polarizing QBs to come out recently. There is still lots he needs to learn! Nobody will argue that he has a ridiculously high ceiling, but a fair observer should be able to see that he does have some flaws and he has gotten away with potentially throwing at least two more picks over the past two games, including a potential pick six. His interceptions have been at very critical times as well.

Personally, I would have liked for him to have had a red shirt year, just as Lynn, but injuries certainly have not allowed for that. Although it is very encouraging to see that he has improved his footwork / mechanics overall, but there are some inconsistency concerns still.
        im confused, have you read any unfair observations?
        even the most excited Herbert fans (“homers”) have recognized flaws. Has anyone said otherwise?

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Weird. Everyone kept saying this roster was loaded, and Rivers just held them back last year.

I wonder who Lynn blames now? The team doctor?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If you remember with Marty, it started bad including the 2002 season where went 8-8 despite starting 6-1. Then we bounced back in 2004, had a down year in 2005, and then had that amazing 2016 season.
            They were perennial door mats the 6 season before 2002. They tanked after Jamaal Williams was purposefully injured by the Donkey guard and Curtis Conway went down (Brees favorite target). Without Williams, they were helpless against the run. A good season in my book.

By 2004, Schottenheimer had put together his team. It should only take a head coach & GM 3 seasons to do that. 2005 was a good team who could hold their own against anyone.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Hi Posters!

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AFCWEST View Post

Lynn should be gone next year so a new system will be in place. Why not find out what the kid does best and hire a coach to develop a system around his talent?
                Look what Burrow is doing with that awful Cinn roster. Sitting Burrow for a year would be a waste. At least Herbert has talent in place.
                Burrow was more NFL ready then Herbert coming out.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post

Penalties and turnovers equally number 1.
                  bad play calling number 2.
                  Lack of discipline number 3.
                  Misuse of timeouts number 4
                  I think that’s my order as well
                  credit the Panthers, they played their balls off
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    I know they said it was Tillery with that b ig offside play but it was actually Square.

Hill was in for a couple of plays and Chaincrusher can already tell he's no good - lol

And just so know Bridgewater has a strong arm.

Most of you guys are weak fans - crying over every thing that goes wrong, or you think is wrong. Is there a coach in the world that you guys wouldn't want to fire?

The weakest link on this team is still the OL. Fix that and this is a darn good team.
                    I disagree with most of what you are saying here.

First, I said Hill did not look like an NFL player. Did you watch the game? He had more drops than catches today. Also, he was supposed to be a "mini-Allen" in terms of ability to get quick separation. Instead, he looked slow and small and demonstrated bad hands. He showed none of the positive traits that were talked up about him.

Second, you are just wrong when you state that Brdgewater has a strong arm. Let me help you here. The guy wearing the white #10 jersey in the game today is an example of a guy that has a strong arm. Not only does Bridgewater not have a strong arm, his lack of arm strength is actually his single greatest weakness. Does any other team have a starting QB with a weaker arm? I did not run through the whole list of starting QBs in my head while typing this, but none comes to mind, not even Burrow. The arm strength issue for Bridgewater was discussed at considerable length by every draft pundit leading up to his being drafted. It more than offset his accuracy, which is his greatest strength, and it caused him to slide in the draft.

Third, there was legitimate reason to criticize Lynn this week over his thought process concerning Taylor and Herbert. Herbert is the better player and not just by a little. The polling was pretty much unanimous in favor Herbert over Taylor on this forum and when do all of us agree on anything? And yet Lynn was going out of his way to emphasize that Taylor is the starter and to point out criticisms about Herbert's play instead of realizing that it was much better than Tyrod could ever do. Lynn's bias was so pronounced that one poster on this forum even raised the issue of whether or not Lynn was favoring Taylor because he is black. While I cannot say why Lynn has a bias in favor of Taylor, it seems pretty obvious that Lynn does have a bias in favor of Taylor.

Fourth, the team did not look ready to compete today, especially early in the game. They were flat and made many mistakes. The coach did not seem to have them ready to play today. Now, in his defense, they looked very ready to play last week. But not today. So, some criticism of Lynn may be warranted.

Fifth, the timeout on 3rd and 4, which I thought was reasonable, was believed by some to be an improper use of a timeout. It is at least a fair discussion point, though.

All of that said, I do agree with you that the OL continues to be the team's weakest link.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post
                      Weird. Everyone kept saying this roster was loaded, and Rivers just held them back last year.

I wonder who Lynn blames now? The team doctor?
                      Who said that? This was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor, who is dealing with cracked ribs and a punctured lung, is expected to miss Los Angeles' Week 4 game against Tampa Bay, sources told ESPN.

Per Adam Schefter, Taylor already ruled out for Tampa game next week.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I disagree with most of what you are saying here.

First, I said Hill did not look like an NFL player. Did you watch the game? He had more drops than catches today. Also, he was supposed to be a "mini-Allen" in terms of ability to get quick separation. Instead, he looked slow and small and demonstrated bad hands. He showed none of the positive traits that were talked up about him.

Second, you are just wrong when you state that Brdgewater has a strong arm. Let me help you here. The guy wearing the white #10 jersey in the game today is an example of a guy that has a strong arm. Not only does Bridgewater not have a strong arm, his lack of arm strength is actually his single greatest weakness. Does any other team have a starting QB with a weaker arm? I did not run through the whole list of starting QBs in my head while typing this, but none comes to mind, not even Burrow. The arm strength issue for Bridgewater was discussed at considerable length by every draft pundit leading up to his being drafted. It more than offset his accuracy, which is his greatest strength, and it caused him to slide in the draft.

Third, there was legitimate reason to criticize Lynn this week over his though process concerning Taylor and Herbert. Herbert is the better player and not just by a little. The polling was pretty much unanimous in favor Herbert over Taylor on this forum and when do all of us agree on anything? And yet Lynn was going out of his way to emphasize that Taylor is the starter and to point out criticisms about Herbert's play instead of realizing that it was much better than Tyrod could ever do. Lynn's Bias was so pronounced that one poster on this forum even raised the issue of whether or not Lynn was favoring Taylor because he is black. While I cannot say why Lynn has a bias in favor of Taylor, it seems pretty obvious that Lynn does have a bias in favor of Taylor.

Fourth, the team did not look ready to compete today, especially early in the game. They were flat and made many mistakes. The coach did not seem to have them ready to play today. Now, in his defense, they looked very ready to play last week. But not today. So, some criticism of Lynn may be warranted.

Fifth, the timeout on 3rd and 4, which I thought was reasonable, was believed by some to be an improper use of a timeout. It is at least a fair discussion point, though.

All of that said, I do agree with you that the OL continues to be the team's weakest link.
                          The second and third point are wrong. Especially the third point. The fact that you would bring up that particular poster’s dumb ass comments is just wrong in so many levels.

With regards to the second part, Teddy’s arm strength is okay, not great. About on par with guys like Watson and prime Brees, Rivers etc. Strong enough to play in the NFL, and strong enough for Norv Turner of all people to pound the table for him as QB.
                          Last edited by Xenos; 09-27-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X