• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    Tom Brady went to 9 Superbowl and won 6 taking what defense gives him and relying on run game and defense.

KC didn't abandon the run last year Superbowl run.. Even though they are much more pass heavy team with Reid. They still ran it 20 plus times a game.

You can not be one dimensional.
    Good examples. Both teams do whatever they want and make you stop them.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Tom Brady went to 9 Superbowl and won 6 taking what defense gives him and relying on run game and defense.

KC didn't abandon the run last year Superbowl run.. Even though they are much more pass heavy team with Reid. They still ran it 20 plus times a game.

the song remains the same.... cry me a Rivers or not.... we need to upgrade the lines.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

They scored a TD on that 1st drive and you have a problem with the play calling on that drive?

My understanding of the play calling is that Steichen gives Justin multiple calls. Run and Pass.
        And depending on the opponent front and coverage, Herbert runs the play that matches up the best with what they are showing.
        I see motion in and out, so Herbert can see coverage. If he sees man and a light box, he will run every time.
        Herbert does not care if its pass or run. He wants to execute and take what the defense gives him.

They had 9 drives vs Raiders.
        4 TDs.
        3 FG attempts.
        2 Punts (Punt #1, Pass, Run, Pass, Punt) (Punt#2 Pass, Run, Pass, Run, Punt)

So both punts started with the pass.

Also, if you want a bunch of downfield passes early and often, then Herbert has to hold the ball.
        Meaning you are all okay if he gets beat up behind this o-line.

Do you here that Lynn! Fans want the bombs early and often.
        They do NOT care about time of possession, or balance or setting up play action plays or allowing the defense to rest or protecting the rookie QB.
        And even though no team has more pass attempts in 2020 than Chargers and Herbert. It is still not enough. More passing is needed.
        And occasionally run it. But it better get more than 3 yards or you should just always pass it.
        Actually, since passing get more yards per pop. Do not ever run the ball again.
        Just Bombs away!!!!
        Yup. I do have a problem with it. Them scoring a TD on that one drive doesn't justify the earlier play calls. When you consistently ask your prodigy QB to bail you out on 3rd and long, it's a recipe for disaster. Herbert bailed them out. Which he does often.

I mean, if for you it's all about did they get a TD on a particular drive, then I would imagine you have a problem with Lynn on the 3 and outs? Or, can he still do no wrong?

The thing I love about a Peyton or a Belichick is they call plays based on their own team's strengths, their opponents weaknesses, and the situation. So one week you'd see Brady throw 15 passes to start a game because it was HUGELY successful. Good coaching. The next week, against another opponent, they'd run more than pass. Again, letting the teams and situations dictate.

Not so Lynn. He tries to create this ubiquitous "balance" of run and pass cause...that's how it has always been in football.

But when you have no running game, you need to do something. Or, how about not run 5 of 6 first downs. If you love doing that? Then look at the results of those plays and try something different.

He doesn't have that ability, that I've seen, to adapt the game plan, pregame or during.

PS No one said BOMBS on first down (though, I do like that idea). We said passes. We want him passing more. In fact, I'd LOVE to see the slants and quick outs and hooks. Give me short passes. But let the best rookie QB of all time PASS the damn ball.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

What if you're team, even when trying to be two-dimensional, is still only one-dimensional? What do you do then?
          Last edited by BayAreaBoltz; 12-19-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Not sure if this has been posted.
            Herbert's late-game heroics bode well for Chargers' future (yahoo.com)

Lynn makes the case for keeping his job...

“It's very important we close these games out. You see a lot of times when teams finish strong they start fast the following season,” coach Anthony Lynn said.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Lynn damn well better be an ugly memory the end of this season.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Talks about how any coach would want to coach Herbert. He even agrees with my Andrew Luck comp.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

the song remains the same.... cry me a Rivers or not.... we need to upgrade the lines.
                  The Chargers franchise have only proven historically they are only really good at building passing consistently.
                  They are not known for defense. Never have been.
                  They are not know for having great kickers.
                  They were known for running because of LT21 and then that went away. So they aren't known for running
                  It a roster issue and front office issue long before it's a coaching issue. Marty, Norv, McCoy, Lynn....when will it end my
                  friend.

You see that the Steelers are known for building defense and running game for decades. Even with great QB, still known for that. And very few HCs too. They have few HCs because they put together a great roster. Their roster isn't great because they made amazing HC selections. There is no chicken egg arguement here. Its TALENT. Not HC.
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​​​​​I'm seriously tired of scapegoating coaches with Chargers. At every level the roster masters the most. Talent. Go give Saban some shit roster. He went 9-7 and 6-10 because his GM sucked. He buys his own groceries at Alabama and it is filled with NFL level talent. I think it's more in the recruitment than the coaching at Alabama. And I do not think the NFL is any different. Or NBA or MLB or anything else. The players making the plays is more important than the call.

QB Driven League.
                  When Saban started Gus Ferotte, his best QB in his 2 years with Dolphins. He went 9-6. He didn't do so well with Joey Harrington. Nobody did in the NFL.

Talent.
                  Zero sacks from Ingram.....if you knew that going into season. No Derwin James. Harris on IR for a while. Bosa banged up. Tranquill on IR. Turner and Bulaga going to struggle to stay healthy. Ekeler going to miss half the season. Allen and Williams missing a number of snaps during games. Badgely having a bad year. Tyrod supposed to start but gets a puncture lung. Rookie QB forced to start. ...are you saying 6 wins max?

​​​
                  They end up playing well and competitive in all but one game. 3 losses literally at the buzzer. 3 made plays and This is a 8-6 team in spite of all the above misfortune. IMO. Lynn is getting nitpick to death to make him the scapegoat. I don't like it. Poster think I know Lynn. Never met the man. I Just think he isn't the problem with this franchise. He still hasn't burn through the credit I gave him from the LA move success.

But I'm being told none of the above matters.
                  Its all Lynn fault. All of it. This team can't win with him.
                  The man went to LA and went 9-7 and 12-4 under tough circumstances. That is on his resume.

There is this false narrative he ran Rivers out and wants to have a running QB. That is not what the team has been doing all year with Herbert.

Lynn needs healthy defensive stars and a great FG kicker. Telesco job is to get him those stars and a kicker.

A new coach won't impress me as much as different roster decisions.
                  ​​​​​​

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Yup. I do have a problem with it. Them scoring a TD on that one drive doesn't justify the earlier play calls. When you consistently ask your prodigy QB to bail you out on 3rd and long, it's a recipe for disaster. Herbert bailed them out. Which he does often.

I mean, if for you it's all about did they get a TD on a particular drive, then I would imagine you have a problem with Lynn on the 3 and outs? Or, can he still do no wrong?

The thing I love about a Peyton or a Belichick is they call plays based on their own team's strengths, their opponents weaknesses, and the situation. So one week you'd see Brady throw 15 passes to start a game because it was HUGELY successful. Good coaching. The next week, against another opponent, they'd run more than pass. Again, letting the teams and situations dictate.

Not so Lynn. He tries to create this ubiquitous "balance" of run and pass cause...that's how it has always been in football.

But when you have no running game, you need to do something. Or, how about not run 5 of 6 first downs. If you love doing that? Then look at the results of those plays and try something different.

He doesn't have that ability, that I've seen, to adapt the game plan, pregame or during.

PS No one said BOMBS on first down (though, I do like that idea). We said passes. We want him passing more. In fact, I'd LOVE to see the slants and quick outs and hooks. Give me short passes. But let the best rookie QB of all time PASS the damn ball.
                    :smoking:​​​​​​

Justin Herbert has the most pass attempts in the NFL and he didn't play game 1. He is passing it more than any QB in the league this season. 531 passes. Nobody has more!

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

What if you're team, even when trying to be two-dimensional, are still only one-dimensional? What do you do then?
                      You stay committed to 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
                      Passing 50 times a games doesn't work.
                      That's why defensive stars matter.
                      Where are they except Bosa?
                      FG kicker helps. Badger been awful.

​​​

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

The Chargers franchise have only proven historically they are only really good at building passing consistently.
                        They are not known for defense. Never have been.

Talent.
                        will admit that I would like to go back to the passing well and reinvent the wheel w/Herbert, as yes.... that seems to be Chargers football (and not the football of choice by way of your HC AL)

will also add that our lone trip to the SB was w/a team that played lights out run D w/Jr. and had Leslie O'Neil up front.... we had talent on D (until we ran into SF in the SB), and not so much on O.

have been thinking about this w/Jax as they are slotted @2 in this draft and what should they do ??

recall that once upon a time eye thought the Rams blew it by passing on Bortles for Greg Robinson, and not coz Robinson was so bad, but coz you don't pass on franchise QBs when you're sitting @2 and you don't got none.

Jax got Bortled and now they're the ones sitting @2 overall.... what 2 do, what 2 do ??

this time my thought is that they should go Billy Kilmer/Stan Humphries and stick w/Minshew and continue to stick with and build their team identity, which has been defense first of late, and in this case.... build their Oline for Gardner (w/Sewell).

and that has been my question for some time now.... what is the Chargers identity ??

when you look @the SB team, can't say they were vastly more talented than what we have now, albeit to your point, most every guy played 15/16 games on the season, albeit think Jr. had a bum arm thru the playoffs ??

and further to your point, do think the GM shoulders the brunt of responsibility for bringing in durable players, as they all have a history in college, and in some cases the pros, not to mention the metrics available these days, based on position and age and the whatnot.... so yeah, Telesco is part of this mess too.

and none of this changes how I feel about AL and my preference for a new coach, coz as I have mentioned, don't care for his personnel leanings, nor his brand of football, and def don't care for how he's been handling his biz of late w/players and his staff.

and of course, he and we would do better w/a healthy roster, and.... my question is: has he made moves in the best interest of the Chargers, and put us in the best position to win games and get to the SB ??

I think in his heart of hearts, he has done his best and genuinely is doing what he thinks is best and the right thing, and.... speaking as someone who's been a fan for longer than him, and familiar w/this org and team for awhile now.... he just hasn't grown to represent what eye know as Chargers football, nor is his vibe emblematic of what eye have in mind for a Chargers HC.

I'm ready for a change plain and simple.... the football gods have spoken.... you have to play the hand you're dealt, and he had a good run, but his run appears to be up, and no shame on anyone's part.

am also of the opinion that he was not the best man for the job, so good on him that he has four years of NFL HC experience under his belt as of now, and hopefully a better man and coach for it.

and know you are a posting stalwart, and will conclude you as well are doing what you consider to be the right thing as a Chargers fan, and.... just not in that boat, albeit can respect your position, and....

it's my team too, and unfortunately for some, he's just not my HC of choice going forward, as would like to get back to playing Chargers football, and feeling good about who we are.

good luck to him, and yes.... our fates our resigned to doing the best w/what we have, which is w/team Tommy John @the helm, and for better or worse.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                          Chargers Hall of Fame
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

You stay committed to 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
                          Passing 50 times a games doesn't work.

​​​
                          Critty, you have to have to be Anthony Lynn. You just have to be.

When you’re team can’t run, you actually believe that you stay committed to 3 yards and a cloud of dust? This is where we diverge. (Note: The sad reality is that the Chargers have more clouds of dust on their runs than they do 3 yards).

At the end of the game I do not need to see 35 runs and 35 passes. It’s not about that number. It’s about the successful plays. THAT is more important. If our running game isn’t successful (and it is most certainly not) then we should be passing more. If our QB is a stud (and he most certainly is) then we should be passing more. Forget having 35 of each type of play. The important thing is success and wins. However we can get them. (Note: If we were a great running team, I wouldn’t want to see an equal number of passes. I’d want to Derrick Henry them. This is about attacking with our strengths until they can stop us).

A good coach makes these adjustments in the game plan and doesn’t stubbornly stick to his methods no matter the outcome.

So, as a coach, if your kicker can’t make field goals, you 1) get a new kicker or b) go for it more on 4th down.

If your backs can’t run up the gut, you do more play action and let your QB pass the ball beyond 5 yards.

You adjust your game to match reality. You don’t stick with your original plan to make up a reality.

Comment

Working...
                          X