• like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

:thumbsup:

Can they do that with the fifth year option. Is there some set date once they agree to it or can they just cut him before the beginning of next season?
    Here is the 5th year option rules.......

Below are the terms of the 5th-year option prior to the changes made during the 2020 CBA negotiations:

Every player selected in the first round of the NFL Draft will automatically have a Fifth-Year Option added in his contract. This option cannot be separately attached to the player contract.

The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31).

The Fifth-Year Option is non-negotiable, and the non-compensation terms from a player’s rookie contract will be transferred to the fifth year.

Many terms allowed in other contracts are prohibited from being added into the Fifth-Year Option. These terms include Option Bonuses, Option Exercise Fees, option Non-Exercise fees, Option Buyouts, or any other compensation that stems from the team exercising or declining the Fifth-year option (Sec. 7 (d), 31).

When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.

The payments are not considered Rookie Salary and do not count toward league or club rookie pools or allocations. The player’s option-year salary is also not subject to the 25% Rule.

The salary of the option year is also the only payment a player is eligible to receive for football services outside of minimum offseason workout per diems and compensation for non-football related team activities.

The salary for the Fifth-Year Option is also different for two types of players: those selected in the top-ten picks and all other first-round selections.

The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, to put it simply, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players at the same position. Positions are defined by where a player spent the most plays during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31), unless you ask Jimmy Graham.

For players selected between 11th and 32nd in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference lies in what is averaged; rather than the top ten, the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position will be used.

If a team decides to use its option, the player can face substantial fines for refusing to report to camp on time and/or at all. Players can be fined up to $30,000 per day of training camp missed and a fine equal to one week’s regular season (1/17 of P5 Salary) check for any preseason games missed.

The Fifth-Year Option is intended provide teams with more security when it invests a valuable first-round pick on a player.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Here is the 5th year option rules.......
      From what I can tell the chargers have exercised the 5th year option so it is guaranteed right? wrong? So no matter what they have williams for next year. Can they trade him?
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

:thumbsup:

Can they do that with the fifth year option. Is there some set date once they agree to it or can they just cut him before the beginning of next season?
        The Bolts COULD let Mike Will go before that 5th year...with all the talented wideouts we have, it could be tempting...

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Bolts COULD let Mike Will go before that 5th year...with all the talented wideouts we have, it could be tempting...
          I can't think of a better weapon that MW for Herbert, on paper at least
          I want to keep all the weapons possible for JH but it might be tempting to trade for picks
          if JH continues developing chemistry with other WRs and if this draft is particular deep at OL
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I can't think of a better weapon that MW for Herbert, on paper at least
            I want to keep all the weapons possible for JH but it might be tempting to trade for picks
            if JH continues developing chemistry with other WRs and if this draft is particular deep at OL
            And if MDubb cant stay on the field.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              Johnson, Guyton, and Parham were only targeted once. That tells me they aren't getting open. They probably need a lot of work on running their routes. They look like they have good hands so if they get good at running routes and getting open they could become good receivers. But I'm not too excited about them at this point.
              Time will tell on that. BUt usually, if a guy doesn't get to play, there is a hole in his game. Young WR tend to struggle with route running, so that is a good guess.

The other one is a blocking, based on McGeoghn's rant on Hard Knocks.

As far as the jump ball being automatic in football, if that were true, why wouldn't every team have a a failed former NBA power forward playing TE or WR to throw jump balls to? There is a lot more to running good fade routes then just being tall. It is also worth noting that TD to Pardam was more about Herbert throwing a really accurate back-shoulder pass than Pardam out jumping the DB.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Mike Williams just had a 1,001 yard receiving season. He makes many acrobatic catches on long passes. I think he will fit very well with Herbert. The biggest thing with Williams is keeping him in one piece.
                I can see Mike Williams being his last season here, I don't think you can pay him the money he is looking for when we just paid Keenan, plus just the one 1000 yard season, sounds like a Tyrell Williams situation too much money to dish out and not enough consitent availability and not consitent production he only has two 100 yard games in his career.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I can see Mike Williams being his last season here, I don't think you can pay him the money he is looking for when we just paid Keenan, plus just the one 1000 yard season, sounds like a Tyrell Williams situation too much money to dish out and not enough consitent availability and not consitent production he only has two 100 yard games in his career.
                  I see this as well. I thought it was a stretch to draft him with our #1. I'm sure he'll get picked up by somebody & hang on another 4 or 5 years in the league. But he hasn't lived up to his draft position & he's going to want Pro Bowl type $. Like a failed marriage with no animosity. Good luck to you, but we're moving on.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

And if MDubb cant stay on the field.
                    Ya we can’t take chances on glass
                    the only exception might be James because the talent is transformative for an entire defnese
                    even in that situation you might consider moving him to boundary corner where it can be less physically demanding
                    just spit balling but the point is that we should be conservtive with guys who have an injury history
                    Henry, Williams, whoever
                    but James is the one you think twice about
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      Johnson, Guyton, and Parham were only targeted once. That tells me they aren't getting open.
                      When all that up the gut dink and dunk jibber jabber crossing route hooks to the body just won't cut it.............the Herbert to Guyton connection is a one-hitter quitter. Guyton is averaging 29 yards a catch.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Here is a good read on Tyron Johnson by a writer who covers the Houston Texans. This guy was fairly impressed with Johnson when Johnson was in TC as a UDFA in Houston last year. He was cut by Houston and spent time on the PSs of Buffalo and Carolina before landing with the Chargers last December.

https://torotimes.com/2019/08/12/houston-texans-tyron-johnson-making-strong-case-for-roster-spot/

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Here is a good read on Tyron Johnson by a writer who covers the Houston Texans. This guy was fairly impressed with Johnson when Johnson was in TC as a UDFA in Houston last year. He was cut by Houston and spent time on the PSs of Buffalo and Carolina before landing with the Chargers last December.

https://torotimes.com/2019/08/12/houston-texans-tyron-johnson-making-strong-case-for-roster-spot/
                          Link just sends you to an ad for Nike through the Torotimes
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X