• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghost
    replied
    Analysis: Wade Phillips and His Third-Year Defenses

image_2020-11-10_193443.png

The date was Jan. 5, 2011. In the eyes of Houston Texans fans, it represents the turning point in the fortunes of their favorite team. On that fateful day, Wade Phillips was hired as defensive coordinator...

In 2003, Dale Lindsey was our coordinator: The Charger defense ranked 31st in points allowed.

In 2004, Wade Phillips was brought in as DC, and the Chargers ranked 11th, 13th, & 7th in points allowed on defense.

I am for Pep Hamilton for head coach, Shane Steichen for OC, Wade Phillips for DC, because as this article demonstrates, Wade has
    a track record of turning defenses around.

Pep & Shane coach our franchise QB, Wade takes care of the defensive end. Watch your ass, Patrick Mahomes.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost View Post
    https://www.therams.com/video/nfl-n-...fense-20155568

NFL-N-Motion: How Aaron Donald is excelling in Wade Phillips 3-4 defense

Watch how Aaron Donald thrived for three season in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense. Wade ran it w/ Elvin Bethea, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald, why not DE Joey Bosa?
    speaking @least for myself, that was one of the big reservations in drafting Bosa.... was he big enough for a 3-4 DE ??

didn't matter as we switched up to a 4-3, but the question is could he play the pass rushing DE in the 3-4 ??

personally think Tillery is well sized to play 3-4 DE, but his ability to seal the edge/play the run is shoddy and intermittent @best.

Seattle played the behemoth Red Bryant at 3-4 DE for awhile and w/good success.

overall, think the odds are against us in transitioning back to a 3-4 and bringing in Wade.... ??

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied

NFL-N-Motion: How Aaron Donald is excelling in Wade Phillips 3-4 defense

Dec 28, 2017

NFL Network's DeMarcus Ware breaks down how Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is excelling in Wade Phillips 3-4 defense.
    Watch how Aaron Donald thrived for three season in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense. Wade ran it w/ Elvin Bethea, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald, why not DE Joey Bosa?

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Beatha.jpg

"When I started out it was a two-gap defense, the defensive ends had to play two-gap and be able to rush the passer. Well that's a hard thing to do."

"We had a guy here with the Houston Oilers named Elvin Bethea," Phillips continued. "We said, ‘Wait a minute. We don't want to do that with that guy.' We started stunting the guys and moving them and let them do what they do well, playing a 3-4, but playing a different way, Phillips 3-4 if you want to call it that. I had another guy named Bruce Smith that wasn't bad at in a 3-4 You can do it with guys, if they have the abilities, then you let them go more. If they don't then you play a two-gap and just hold your ground all you can and let the linebackers make the plays. It's all about what kind of players you have and let them do what they do best."
    In 1980, Wade Phillips was named defensive coordinator of the Houston Oilers, under his head coach father, Bum Phillips.

With Wade Phillips formally interviewing with the Broncos, I thought it was about that time to take a look at his defensive scheme. Think of this as just a primer; I will delve deeper into the...

I am a proponent of promoting from within and hiring a DC. The defensive coordinator I want is Wade Phillips.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost View Post

BIG agreement here. The Jet game and the performance will be The Maginot Line for Dean & Family.

Bottomline: The Woody Johnson Family vs. The Dean Spanos Family. Real NFL fans are locked into a lose-lose situation, and one family is going end up with Eric Bieniemy, IMHO.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line

and hopefully Bieniemy ends up in NY....

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I'll take a Payton, Reid, Rivera type. Holmgelren, Parcels, Shannahan, etc. Players need to have a little fear. Accountability is a foreign concept to the Chargers and it's what makes alot of good teams into great teams.

Belichek says it best. "We're evaluating every position, every week.".

I want a HC that everyone complains is too tough, then find the players who can handle it.

​​​​​​
    jftr.... was disappointed that we passed on the opportunity to hire RR, and not just once.... the first time we passed on him for Norv, and the second we waited a year too long to fire Norv, for which the year prior RR was available as a HC.

Leave a comment:

• Charge!
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Im not sure Reid would have even considered working for the Spanii. Lets face it, you don't come here with the expectation that the franchise will be committed to winning.
    That and no way Spanos pays that money...... coaching money takes a hit on his profit.... the cap requires he pay players but no requirement for coaches..... Spanos could make his son HC if he wanted to....and that may be coming someday.... lol

Leave a comment:

• Charge!
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    absolutely thank you
    I was LEADING the Greg Roman crusade last year
    I have no doubt Herbert would flourish in a similar system.
    what Herberts lacks in running (compared to Jackson) he makes up for with incredible passes and projected football IQ and accuracy

same goes for Bienemy
    id love to have either
    Why are people high on Bienemy?..... Reid calls all the plays, not Bienemy...... and Reid is brilliant..... does not mean people working for him are also brilliant......
    Bellycheat is a genius, his parents were genius scientists, yet the coaches who leave bellycheat usually fail because they don't have the same genius ability as bellycheat.....not everything can be learned.....

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    Im not sure Reid would have even considered working for the Spanii. Lets face it, you don't come here with the expectation that the franchise will be committed to winning.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I'll take a Payton, Reid, Rivera type. Holmgelren, Parcels, Shannahan, etc. Players need to have a little fear. Accountability is a foreign concept to the Chargers and it's what makes alot of good teams into great teams.

Belichek says it best. "We're evaluating every position, every week.".

I want a HC that everyone complains is too tough, then find the players who can handle it.

​​​​​​
    I tink I was willing to trade a 4th for Rivera

Leave a comment:

• Charge!
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Falcons owner Blank explains firings of Dan Quinn, Thomas Dimitroff: 'It's called lack of winning'

Or as Deano calls it, “ That’s Charger’s Football.”
    This..... lol

Quinn and Bradley are very similar and ran same system...... ATL instantly started playing better on offense and defense once they fired Quinn..... Chargers defense should get much better after we fire Bradley.....as long as the new guy does not stay with same system...

one huge problem with Spanos, is when he hires a HC, he hires cheap guys and forces them to accept all the existing coaches, OC, DC, etc......coaches salaries come out of profits, not the cap so he will not fire a coach while still paying his guaranteed salary..... none of our HC's have actually chosen the OC or DC or ST's.... etc.....
    not Marty, not Turner, not Mccoy, not Lynn......though Lynn was allowed to get rid of Wiz(maybe his contract was up), but replacement was from within, not Lynn hire from outside...... might also be true of all previous coaches...

Other teams when they hire a new coach like 49ers did with Shanahan, and chiefs did with Reid, they got to choose their staff, that is part of why they coach so much better.....

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

only good as an interim measure.... me thinx,

maybe after the Jets game ??
    BIG agreement here. The Jet game and the performance will be The Maginot Line for Dean & Family.

Bottomline: The Woody Johnson Family vs. The Dean Spanos Family. Real NFL fans are locked into a lose-lose situation, and one family is going end up with Eric Bieniemy, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X