X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
    of QB's drafted since Elway, Marino and Jim Kelly were all drafted in the 1983 draft? I know it's early to make that call but so far from what I have seen from both Herbert and Burrow they both look like they can be special players and now that Tua is going to be the Dolphins starter now we'll get to see how he does. There's also Jordan Love who some people were very high on but we most likely won't hear anything from him as far as starting for atleast a few years. I'll still take Herbert over both of them though.

Burrow may end up being a fine player, but I absolutely do not get the love for Burrow based upon what he has done so far this season. Sure, he is a rookie and will likely improve to some degree, but he has been closer to bad than good this season. He is ranked 25th in QB rating and from the games I have seen, he does not do anything especially well at the NFL level so far.

Going into the draft, I viewed Herbert as the best of the three QBs, Tagovailoa as the next best (but also a significant injury risk), and Burrow as the third best. I do not think Tagovailoa would have to show very much to play better than Burrow has so far, but would have to show a great deal to play better than Herbert (9th in QB rating) has so far. Thus, I think the odds favor him being the middle of the three QBs at this point once he gets to play some games.

Because of this, I do not see any reason to deviate from my pre-draft impressions at this point, but readily acknowledge that such circumstances could develop later.

There is no way after 5-6 games of their rookie season to place these QBs into a historical context.

Comment

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Too early for this year's crop, but they look good so far......

1. Elway, Marino, and kelly are by far the best of all time as a group.....
      2. Rivers, Manning, and Big Ben are clearly 2nd...... but well above all others...

Mahomes looks great so far ...... but Jackson and Watson are NOT great passers

since they lack accuracy consistency(both look great one week and are way off target in the next) and their play styles will likely result in short careers for both.....
      I do not agree that the top 3 1983 QBs are better "by far" than the top 3 2004 QBs. I think that opinion comes from most people overrating Elway.

While the game was different in Elway's time, the quality of Elway's stats is not all that impressive even when compared to his contemporaries. While blessed with a very strong arm, he was never all that accurate (only 56.9% in completion percentage for his career). Also, while only playing one season longer, Marino threw 120 more TD passes than Elway. Elway's career QB rating was 79.9, worse than Marino, Kelly and even Ken O'Brien from that draft class.

If I were drafting from all 6 players in 1983 and 2004, I would rank Marino as the clear #1 overall with a drop off followed by Rivers at #2 and Roethlisberger at #3, followed by a small drop off and then Elway at #4 followed by Kelly at #5, followed by a large drop off to Eli Manning at #6.

So, I do agree that the top 3 1983 QBs are better, but not far better.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Don’t sleep on Murray, Jones and Haskins from the 2019 class
        Or do, nothing to see there.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• RollingThunder
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not agree that the top 3 1983 QBs are better "by far" than the top 3 2004 QBs. I think that opinion comes from most people overrating Elway.

While the game was different in Elway's time, the quality of Elway's stats is not all that impressive even when compared to his contemporaries. While blessed with a very strong arm, he was never all that accurate (only 56.9% in completion percentage for his career). Also, while only playing one season longer, Marino threw 120 more TD passes than Elway. Elway's career QB rating was 79.9, worse than Marino, Kelly and even Ken O'Brien from that draft class.

If I were drafting from all 6 players in 1983 and 2004, I would rank Marino as the clear #1 overall with a drop off followed by Rivers at #2 and Roethlisberger at #3, followed by a small drop off and then Elway at #4 followed by Kelly at #5, followed by a large drop off to Eli Manning at #6.

Did I just read that Philip Rivers is/was a better QB than John Elway? Now I think I've seen everything on this board.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

Did I just read that Philip Rivers is/was a better QB than John Elway? Now I think I've seen everything on this board.
            Wait, the inevitable response will be priceless.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

I think everyone who watched Elway play could agree that he was not a stat machine like some QB's are or were. If you look at Elway's career from a statistical point of view he was a pretty good QB.

If you watched him play in person you know how great he was. His clutch QB play was some of the best ever. He took some really terrible Bronco teams to the SB by his will alone (the Broncos were exposed by some great 49 and Redskins teams) but Elway's play was incredible. As a Charger fan I hated him like no other but you have to respect his greatness, especially looking back on it now that he is not playing. Its like growing up as a Laker fan I hated Larry Bird but now looking back I can appreciate his greatness much more than I did at the time I was rooting against him for so long.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I think everyone who watched Elway play could agree that he was not a stat machine like some QB's are or were. If you look at Elway's career from a statistical point of view he was a pretty good QB.

If you watched him play in person you know how great he was. His clutch QB play was some of the best ever. He took some really terrible Bronco teams to the SB by his will alone (the Broncos were exposed by some great 49 and Redskins teams) but Elway's play was incredible. As a Charger fan I hated him like no other but you have to respect his greatness, especially looking back on it now that he is not playing. Its like growing up as a Laker fan I hated Larry Bird but now looking back I can appreciate his greatness much more than I did at the time I was rooting against him for so long.
                Feel the same way.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• RollingThunder
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Exactly my point. John Elway is a top 5 QB of all time. Stats or no stats, Elway had one of the best and strongest arms of all time. He could make throws all over the field and was mobile before mobile was a thing. The guy was just oozing with talent and he delivered on it.

I hated Horseface more than any one in the NFL but the guy was an amazing QB. The comparison between him and Rivers is utterly ridiculous.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

What? I hate Elway as much as the next guy, but he was heads and shoulders above all but Marino. Flip him and Rivers on that list, then you got something....

Though when you are talking about Rings...2004 wins.

What about winning in general? Anybody run those numbers?

But as far as talent, 83 wins hands down. Big Ben and Phil were pretty darn good, but it's Elway and Marino for crying out loud...plus Eli drags 04 down quite a bit. If Eli doesn't play for an elite Giants team or the like, he never wins a SB, and he never get's into the HOF.
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

Too many people refuse to believe there's a difference between quarterbacks and passers.
                      Simply put, good passers put up numbers, good quarterbacks put up W's.
                      Whilst Elway may not have had inflated numbers, anyone who saw him play knew he was ALWAYS capable of beating you, in multiple ways. Same as Terry Bradshaw, he of the 4 SB titles.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        Don’t sleep on Murray, Jones and Haskins from the 2019 class
                        Or do, nothing to see there.
                        I dont give that class a second thought. Not even close. Murray is the only one doing well and he has his moments like the 9-24 against Dallas.
                        I always said that class was going to be a bunch of backups asside from 1 or 2.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Burrow may end up being a fine player, but I absolutely do not get the love for Burrow based upon what he has done so far this season. Sure, he is a rookie and will likely improve to some degree, but he has been closer to bad than good this season. He is ranked 25th in QB rating and from the games I have seen, he does not do anything especially well at the NFL level so far.

Going into the draft, I viewed Herbert as the best of the three QBs, Tagovailoa as the next best (but also a significant injury risk), and Burrow as the third best. I do not think Tagovailoa would have to show very much to play better than Burrow has so far, but would have to show a great deal to play better than Herbert (9th in QB rating) has so far. Thus, I think the odds favor him being the middle of the three QBs at this point once he gets to play some games.

Because of this, I do not see any reason to deviate from my pre-draft impressions at this point, but readily acknowledge that such circumstances could develop later.

There is no way after 5-6 games of their rookie season to place these QBs into a historical context.
                          Right now anyway Herbert does look like the better player. Burrow was groomed to be the starter from the beginning, getting first team reps from the very first practice in TC. Herbert didn't start getting first team reps until Week 3. And Herbert has been the better QB without question against better competition.

Comment

Working...
                          X