• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Don't forget Canepa and his weekly sarcastic comedy bits on Twitter. Not sure why he posts on there just to try and be funny but he does.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Don't forget Canepa and his weekly sarcastic comedy bits on Twitter. Not sure why he posts on there just to try and be funny but he does.
      I don't use Twitter, but I would assume that Twitter was built for guys like Canepa. His columns have always been a compiling of shortly-stated thoughts.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If I have a chance at a franchise LT somehow...I take it.

Dunlap is just a guy. No offense to him. I admire what he's done for that position especially after the issue we had with Gaithers. For too long I think we get content with "oh he's a decent player, just keep him." We shouldn't have that mentality with the OL. I'm not saying we should have an all-pro at every OL spot, but don't sleep on the LT position. What if Dunlap goes down or regresses? We're already approaching the twilight of Rivers' career - shouldn't we have a stud LT in place to protect him AND the next young QB (whenever that time comes).

Look, I'm mostly speaking in hypotheticals. We likely won't be in a position to draft/sign a stud LT next year anyways. But that doesn't mean we stop looking.

I have a dream this team builds a dominating OL in the form of the 2006 team. We may already have some of those players needed for such an OL on the roster - see Fluker and Watt (although it may not be at their current positions). But we desperately need better guards and a young LT ready to take over.

I feel like we repeat this narrative every, single, goddamn year.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You can either help Dunlap out with a top LG FA or help outside. Both tackles have trouble with speed. I hate that they both struggle with that. One tackle HAS to be able to play vs what ever comes his way without limiting the passing game at a minimum.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            If I have a chance at a franchise LT somehow...I take it.

Dunlap is just a guy. No offense to him. I admire what he's done for that position especially after the issue we had with Gaithers. For too long I think we get content with "oh he's a decent player, just keep him." We shouldn't have that mentality with the OL. I'm not saying we should have an all-pro at every OL spot, but don't sleep on the LT position. What if Dunlap goes down or regresses? We're already approaching the twilight of Rivers' career - shouldn't we have a stud LT in place to protect him AND the next young QB (whenever that time comes).

Look, I'm mostly speaking in hypotheticals. We likely won't be in a position to draft/sign a stud LT next year anyways. But that doesn't mean we stop looking.

I have a dream this team builds a dominating OL in the form of the 2006 team. We may already have some of those players needed for such an OL on the roster - see Fluker and Watt (although it may not be at their current positions). But we desperately need better guards and a young LT ready to take over.

I feel like we repeat this narrative every, single, goddamn year.
            I don't disagree with you. We need to field the best 5 we can, and if a top-flight LT is there (or is BAA) we take him and shift Dunlap to RT and Fluker to RG, if that's what's best. The only issues I have: (1) our biggest OL need is at OG, (2) top LTs are harder to find than good OGs, and (3) where we're likely to draft, there isn't likely to be a top LT prospect. Yes, Dunlap is just a guy, but the OL is a unit, and the part of the unit in most need of upgrade is OG -- whether we upgrade OG by drafting a stud LT and shifting guys around or by acquiring a stud OG, I don't care, as long as it gets done.

I think OL is our biggest team need, but it's not our only need, and I think towards the end of the first round, a better use of the pick would be if BAA were pass rusher, WR, or DB. Then look to pick up an OG in the 2nd and/or 3rd, which is where good interior linemen are usually drafted. In short, we need to be smart about the draft (which I think TT has done great) and maximize the value of each of our picks. I will be thrilled if it's a franchise LT; but I'll be equally thrilled if it's another blue-chip OLB, DL, S, CB, WR, or even RB, as long as what we pick represents the best value to our team at that draft position.
            Adipose

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
              My vote matched up with Mr. Hoarse and Oneinchpunch?

If Rivers is your quarterback and you are a borderline playoff team 2 years straight, you are probably just alright.
              No Steve-like abilities here...
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I'll still go with soso. A very Norvlike season. The team often looked unprepared to start games. The gameplans were either great or awful. The playcalling on offense was often bad and very predictable. They also seemed to go away from the plays that worked so well last season. The team got way to conservative much too often. And clock management and the use of timeouts was a mess.

Yet he had the team winning games even with a ton of injuries
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

McCoy has areas he needs to improve on, but really, given the ridiculous amount of injuries this team keeps sustaining, 9 wins is actually kind of remarkable.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

I thought he should have went for it when he went for that long-assed FG today (missed it and gave KC great field position. But I agree with rich, we won a lot of games we had no business winning. Or that could have gone either way. That probably speaks well of our Coach.
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I can't recall a season where there were so many injuries to key players. I can't disagree with the game planning, but the next man up just didn't pick up the slack when they had to play extended time. I don't know if that's coaching, but it may be more of talent available. Creativity can only get you so far if your players can't execute.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

How can you really build depth when you're right up against the cap? I like our chances for next season as long as TT refrains from shopping at Old Colts 'R Us.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Screeme
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          McCoy has areas he needs to improve on, but really, given the ridiculous amount of injuries this team keeps sustaining, 9 wins is actually kind of remarkable.
                          I'm leaning this direction. Is he perfect? No, but very few head coaches are, even good ones.

But, looking back on the season.. We had no pass rush, no running game, and couldn't stop the run. Does that sound like a team that can win games?

That we won nine games almost feels crazy when I think of it like that, and a lot of that is coaching.

Comment

Working...
                          X