POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

it's Joe Brady.... who has the highest ceiling, who is lowest on the curve w/the arrow pointing up, and most important of all.... who is most compatible w/young John ???

take the guy that erases all doubt as to whether Herbert will be fully developed and without question as to his NFL potential.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vbG9ja2Vkb25jaG FyZ2Vycw/episode/YjM3ODliMzYtMzNiNC0xMWViLWE2YTgtODcwMGRjMTIwM2Yz?h l=en&ved=2ahUKEwjhrsiQ47DtAhWDr54KHdFRDUwQjrkEegQI BxAF&ep=6

Daniel Popper @ 36:00 Argues the question is: Which head coach will be poised to, in three years during Herbert's fifth-option season, make Justin Herbert, the best QB he can be? Who is the guy who can do that?

He said it absolutely had to be an offensive-minded coach and the three best are: Eric Bieinemy, Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll.
      Because Popper knows best? Lol
      Let me ask you..... Who is helping Herbert more in your view?
      Offensive minded Lynn or Pep?

Hypothetically asking,... If we Hire a defensive HC and retain Pep as the QB coach..... or even another offensive guy to be his QB coach, who will help Herbert more?

John Harbaugh’s QB was the MVP last season and was much improved from as a rookie.
      Harbaugh was a defensive backs and STs coach before he was a HC.
      Harbaugh’s QB coach James Urban is an ex WR in college who was also the Eagles QB coach and been a WRs coach. They also have Greg Roman as OC.

Brees and Rivers developed with frigging Marty because we had other coaches for them. Brian Shott was our QB coach when we had Brees and Rivers along with Cam.

Moral of the story....... ..Popper don't know shit.

Im not advocating a defensive HC, Just saying Herbert will still get coaching from the QB coach and OC.
      We need a HC that's best for the TEAM... Not just Herbert. He will be fine.

BTW, Pete Carroll is also a defensive HC. Maybe our guy should be Brian Shottenhiemer who is their OC and has coached Wilson, Brees and Rivers.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-02-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

No matter who we hire as our next coach, does it really matter if they are offensive or defensive minded? Whatever their philosophy, they need to assemble a good coaching staff and work with the front office to get the players to execute the schemes they want to run.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          No matter who we hire as our next coach, does it really matter if they are offensive or defensive minded? Whatever their philosophy, they need to assemble a good coaching staff and work with the front office to get the players to execute the schemes they want to run.
          Thank you! No it doesn't.
          They will hire their own guys unless Deano sticks our guy with Steichen... Who I would fire. The only one I'd keep is Pep.....if he would stay, which he may not.
          ​​​​​
          Who here wouldn't want Pete Carroll or Belichick who are defensive coaches? Brady is the GOAT under Belichick.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

edit: meant to quote rich

I understand the sentiment and agree but I would say it matters if Charge’s generalities ring true in that offensive minded coaches tend to be more aggressive than defensive minded coaches, the logic follows, im just assuming it’s true when I say I want an offensive minded guy.
            Charge listed a few exceptions to the rule including Belicheat himself, but those were the exception
            so ya if going offensive minded nets us a better chance at landing an aggressive coach, that would match the fire power we have in our star QB not to mention the league’s obsession with favoriting offense and points to fill the greedy needs to fantasy football dorks
            Give me a coach that is going to maximize Herbert’s talents
            Josh McDaniels literally coordinated the best offense in NFL HISTORY in 2007, I think he can do it again
            if Bruce Arians is available he’s another guy who needed but one game to see the potential in Herbert, no doubt he would run a high powered offense that would keep us in games down 3 scores in the 4th ala KC

give me cut throat
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Offensive coaches also have more tendancy to also not have good defenses but not all the time. Norv and Lynn are both conservative on offense with leads with no Killer instinct.

I really just don't think it matters if the HC is offensive minded or not. It don't matter to me. I'd take Pete Carrol In a heart beat, his offense is aggressive. I'd take Raheem Morris as well. You think he has throttled Ryan? Those guys also aren't calling plays on O or D.

​​​​​A couple still do like Reid and Gruden call the plays on offense and Norv called our plays,... You know guys with years of NFL coaching under their belts,.... but the guys names I seen tossing around here won't be doing both.

Some here think Joe Brady can be a HC and call plays? Yea that won't be a train wreck.

Another thing about Morris,... He has Atlanta playing well,.....he loves Gruden and calls him a mentor and thinks the world of him...... And just kicked his ass 43-6.

​​​​​

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Belicheat can bring Kelley as ST coach
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Offensive coaches also have more tendancy to also not have good defenses but not all the time. Norv and Lynn are both conservative on offense with leads with no Killer instinct.
                  Mike Mccoy was much worse than those two when it comes to conservativeness and not having a killer instinct.

Comment

• easyal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2020
                    • Send PM

Jeff Fisher. He is itching to coach again and will do wonders with this defense when healthy.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Because Popper knows best? Lol
                      Let me ask you..... Who is helping Herbert more in your view?
                      Offensive minded Lynn or Pep?

Hypothetically asking,... If we Hire a defensive HC and retain Pep as the QB coach..... or even another offensive guy to be his QB coach, who will help Herbert more?

John Harbaugh’s QB was the MVP last season and was much improved from as a rookie.
                      Harbaugh was a defensive backs and STs coach before he was a HC.
                      Harbaugh’s QB coach James Urban is an ex WR in college who was also the Eagles QB coach and been a WRs coach. They also have Greg Roman as OC.

Brees and Rivers developed with frigging Marty because we had other coaches for them. Brian Shott was our QB coach when we had Brees and Rivers along with Cam.

Moral of the story....... ..Popper don't know shit.

Im not advocating a defensive HC, Just saying Herbert will still get coaching from the QB coach and OC.
                      We need a HC that's best for the TEAM... Not just Herbert. He will be fine.

BTW, Pete Carroll is also a defensive HC. Maybe our guy should be Brian Shottenhiemer who is their OC and has coached Wilson, Brees and Rivers.
                      I agree with a lot of this!! I keep reading bloggers on twitter and Popper saying "the Chargers need an OC mind to groom Herbert." Lynn, Pep and Steichen have already done that. Its obviously not the problem.

You make great points about Harbaugh and his staff. Marty and his staff

The Chargers need a coach that can do three things - to me:
                      1) teach their players the fundamentals of football and make players better at football; both mentally and physically
                      2) develop a game plan each week based on opponent that optimizes winning
                      3) be able to take that game plan implement on game day to win

Yes, leadership is important; bringing a group of players together is important. But end of the day, this is about winning football games and NOT just developing Herbert. You have assistants to help do that

So I like Popper but his names are just the "hot YOUNG coaches" and maybe because he is like 27 and I am probably double his age - that is important. I know this - the coach I want for the Chargers, quite frankly, Marty Effing Schottenheimer from 1992.

FIND! THAT!! GUY!!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        edit: meant to quote rich

I understand the sentiment and agree but I would say it matters if Charge’s generalities ring true in that offensive minded coaches tend to be more aggressive than defensive minded coaches, the logic follows, im just assuming it’s true when I say I want an offensive minded guy.
                        Charge listed a few exceptions to the rule including Belicheat himself, but those were the exception
                        so ya if going offensive minded nets us a better chance at landing an aggressive coach, that would match the fire power we have in our star QB not to mention the league’s obsession with favoriting offense and points to fill the greedy needs to fantasy football dorks
                        Give me a coach that is going to maximize Herbert’s talents
                        Josh McDaniels literally coordinated the best offense in NFL HISTORY in 2007, I think he can do it again
                        if Bruce Arians is available he’s another guy who needed but one game to see the potential in Herbert, no doubt he would run a high powered offense that would keep us in games down 3 scores in the 4th ala KC

give me cut throat
                        Breer tweeted about the possible Chargers interest in McDaniels
                        Now, I am a bit gunshy because of he left Indy at the altar - and how much is Josh and how much was Brady and Hoodie. But hell, thats any assistant coach - right. No guarantees

But if you are looking at hiring ARthur Smith, Kellen Moore, Joe Brady (all Popper names) - why the hell wouldn't you want Josh McD? HIs Denver stuff was 10+ years ago or something. Maybe he has matured. And if you think Belichick is behind the Pats success - maybe Mike Vrabel is truly behind the success of Ryan Tannehill. Joe Brady coached a team with like 10 future NFL players - many in the first round.

I would take my chances with Josh over these names and Bieniemy if you want a OC Hot shot type.

I doubt Arians would come to the Chargers - he probably retires since Tampa is a few hours from his winter home - but No risk it, no biscuit would be ideal with Herbert.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Thank you! No it doesn't.
                          They will hire their own guys unless Deano sticks our guy with Steichen... Who I would fire. The only one I'd keep is Pep.....if he would stay, which he may not.
                          ​​​​​
                          Who here wouldn't want Pete Carroll or Belichick who are defensive coaches? Brady is the GOAT under Belichick.
                          All that matters is whomever they hire have a successful track record as a HC. It can’t be a coordinator because the Chargers have never identified a coordinator who can take the next step. For whatever reason they get it wrong every time they hire a first time HC.

Comment

Working...
                          X