POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    It depends on the HC. Someone like McVay is heavily involved in the offense and calls the plays, and leaves the defense to Wade and now Staley. The same with Reid. I believe Fangio does the same thing for the defense in Denver and leaves the offense to Shurmur. And then there are others like Tomlin and Vrabel who are more CEO types.

Edit: the point is that we don’t know what type of HC Staley will be.
    im not talking about coaches that have been doing it for years. I mean the young,new guys. I thought McVay brought in O'Connell to do that since he hadnt had a OC before
    We know Reid does. Tomlin does not call defensive plays. Keith Butler does.
    Rooney was just interviewed the other day and said that when asked.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-06-2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

im not talking about coaches that have been doing it for years. I mean the young,new guys. I thought McVay brought in O'Connell to do that since he hadnt had a OC before
      We know Reid does. Tomlin does not call defensive plays. Keith Buter does.
      Regarding Tomlin, that’s why I referred to him and Vrabel as CEO types.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Brief me again on what brought Lynn to the Chargers. RB coach to HC.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We know Reid does. Tomlin does not call defensive plays. Keith Buter does.
          In terms of the newer guys, I believe Shanahan, Pederson, Kingsbury, Frank Reich, Matt Nagy all call plays as the HC.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

In terms of the newer guys, I believe Shanahan, Pederson, Kingsbury, Frank Reich, Matt Nagy all call plays as the HC.
              Don't think Nagy did. He was talking about maybe taking it over because they hadn't scored a TD two weeks in a row. I don't know who their OC is.
              Kingsbury has an asst (Clements) that is basically like what Bieniemy is to Reid. Kingsbury does the play calling though, yes.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Regarding Tomlin, that’s why I referred to him and Vrabel as CEO types.
                Tomlin is one of my favorite coaches
                He is accountable and never makes excuses

Vrabel - that dude is smart. I like how he does things - takes delay of game penalties to manipulate the clock or what he did against the Texans, on a 2nd and 1, had too many men on teh field to just give them the five yards to basically save play clock (and they tied the game with like 4 seconds left so a pretty smart play)

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  Brief me again on what brought Lynn to the Chargers. RB coach to HC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

I just remember the had interviewed a bunch of defensive coaches and I was thinking "oh at least they are going to the other side of the ball" - we know the history... the last guy they interviewed was Lynn and sonuvgun - they hired him. The only Offensive guy. They interviewed Mike Smith (my choice), McDermott, maybe Teryl Austin, Lovie Smith I think - or maybe that was 2012.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Tomlin is one of my favorite coaches
                      He is accountable and never makes excuses

Vrabel - that dude is smart. I like how he does things - takes delay of game penalties to manipulate the clock or what he did against the Texans, on a 2nd and 1, had too many men on teh field to just give them the five yards to basically save play clock (and they tied the game with like 4 seconds left so a pretty smart play)
                      Vrabel is smart. His weaknesses according to Titan fans is that he’s too loyal like Lynn, especially to his Patriot buddies. That mentality is shown in replacing Dean Pees with a worse candidate but Patriot buddy.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just remember the had interviewed a bunch of defensive coaches and I was thinking "oh at least they are going to the other side of the ball" - we know the history... the last guy they interviewed was Lynn and sonuvgun - they hired him. The only Offensive guy. They interviewed Mike Smith (my choice), McDermott, maybe Teryl Austin, Lovie Smith I think - or maybe that was 2012.
                        Of the candidates we interviewed, sadly only McDermott was more successful. Mike Smith ended up retiring.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Lynn isn't good at much else. Being a leader isn't enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X