X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
    I keep saying he currently is no more than a Jason Verret to me... you can't play injured....
    I do not see James and Verrett as being similar in any way other than both of them being injured. Verrett was small and not muscular like Sproles or Ekeler were/are. He was injured in college and it was foreseeable from day 1 that he would get injured again and again.

As others have suggested, James is built much more like Keenan Allen. While anyone can get injured, sometimes players go through a stretch where they are injured a lot and then come out of it as we have seen with Ingram and Allen. I think that is the more likely course with James. And because he is very talented, he needs to be kept by us.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

having this season fall apart is actually a blessing for Derwin. He wont feel the need to rush back and can heal properly.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

You’re best ability is your durability. If you aren’t on the field you’re worthless to the team on game day. Let’s see if Derwin can put together a full season next year and if he does then do it again on his 5th year options. If he does that then it shows it was a fluke, if he doesn’t well...

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not see James and Verrett as being similar in any way other than both of them being injured. Verrett was small and not muscular like Sproles or Ekeler were/are. He was injured in college and it was foreseeable from day 1 that he would get injured again and again.

As others have suggested, James is built much more like Keenan Allen. While anyone can get injured, sometimes players go through a stretch where they are injured a lot and then come out of it as we have seen with Ingram and Allen. I think that is the more likely course with James. And because he is very talented, he needs to be kept by us.
          No one is saying he doesn't have great potential and talent. Just than you can't play injured. You can't get results sitting in your couch.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Heal him up, and bring him back and see what you've got.

What else can you do with someone that talented?

:waiting:
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

No one is saying he doesn't have great potential and talent. Just than you can't play injured. You can't get results sitting in your couch.

We have no disagreement on that point. My point was that is that there is a reason to distinguish James from Verrett. Verrett's injury history before the draft and his size made it obvious that he was a huge injury risk.

James' size and build are more like Keenan Allen's than like Verrett's. There is good reason to believe that James can put his injury history behind him as Allen has.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We have no disagreement on that point. My point was that is that there is a reason to distinguish James from Verrett. Verrett's injury history before the draft and his size made it obvious that he was a huge injury risk.

James' size and build are more like Keenan Allen's than like Verrett's. There is good reason to believe that James can put his injury history behind him as Allen has.
                I use Verret's name just to show an example of a great talent but always injured player... you can use any other name.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

I use Verret's name just to show an example of a great talent but always injured player... you can use any other name.
                  Merriman

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

Merriman
                    Roids
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

My concern with Der Ja is that if he does heal up and return next season in full health - and that is a big if - how good is he going to be having not played essentially for two seasons?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        My concern with Der Ja is that if he does heal up and return next season in full health - and that is a big if - how good is he going to be having not played essentially for two seasons?
                        With a new defense to learn, he will be where everyone else is at.

And he played the last five games in 2019 and however long TC was.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-31-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          what to do about arguably our best defender in Derwin James (as Bosa has a career day, no disrespect of course)
                          the dilemma I speak of is simply the fact that our entire defense depends on his ability to wear multiple hats
                          and the fact that he is hurt all too often
                          I think most everyone would agree that he is MUCH too talented to give up on while on his rookie contract

one thing is clear to me, we need to intentionally end out DEPENDENCE on Derwin
                          to do this we must sacrifice the idea that we're going to maximize his ability
                          we simply have to give him less to do, in whatever scheme we choose to deploy.

my humble suggestion is that he become our number 2 CB
                          we don't ask him to man up against the opponents number 1 WR, I htink that might be asking too much
                          but he sure as hell can eliminate any number 2 receiver imo
                          this way, if he gets hurt, we only need to replace our number 2 CB, and not our EVERYTHING

of course this move implies we have a number 1 CB and no one on the current roster is talented enough to play man, so for now
                          we double cover with a S, but getting an elite man CB is a top priority
                          i've mentioned before, but imagine trading for Gilmore and having James as number 2, David our number 3 etc
                          dont forget about adderly, i know the consensus is that he is a better S prospect, but i dont think thats set in stone
                          with 1 splash trade or drafting of an elite CB prospect, and tinkering with James and Adderley, we can plausibly have our CBs solved while gaining independence
                          from James' strangle-hold of the defense.

we can find suitable S prospects in the lower rounds, in house (Jenkins, Alohi?) or affordably in FA

keep an open mind, and let me know whatchu think
                          TIA
                          He's not a corner. Maybe at best a situational corner. LOL but if you want him to move positions, linebacker would be a more logical option in my opinion.

He's a hitter not a cover corner. :hello:

Comment

Working...
                          X