• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not sure what is made up about teams regularly bringing in players to compete and the coach deciding on the final roster, but I guess that is not the main point.

I do think Lynn is terrible and over his head. He wasn't qualified to be a HC with his limited background, and that has been painful to watch for 2 years now. He started off nice, but has shown no growth or improvement as a coach. He actually looks worse, panicky, and indecisive in the game and the team is clearly not responding to him.

TT is a different matter. He ultimately should be judged by results, so if they decided to move on from him I couldn't really argue that. According to John Spanos, the final decision for hiring Lynn was his, so I don't know much TT should take flack for that. If they clean house, it would be understandable - but we'll always be stuck with Spanos.

Having said that, I keep wondering what the team would be playing like, even as currently constructed and with all the injuries, with someone like Belichick, Reid or Tomlin coaching it. I think our record would be much different and we'd be in the playoff hunt instead of being one of only 4 teams already eliminated.
    Well. I mean you are replacing a HC with less than 4 seasons of Experience with BB or Reid who have 20 years. Or Tomlin 14 years. So yes. I would agree with you they could have made a difference. But they also have the better GMs. And you won't be replacing Lynn with any of them. You will be replacing him with who? Another 1st time HC?
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Had Hortiz as my Telesco replacement last year in the wish list thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        For years. Post about Telesco sucks at building o line. Rivers can't succeed with this crap talent Telesco is putting in front of him. Rivers is carrying the team.

Rivers leaves...........see what he can do with Colts and a good oline, with a better GM. His passing numbers are good but not outstanding. And they are 8-4 which makes those who blame the roster and talent appear correct about the true issue with the team.

but all of a sudden overnight this team is now super talented and Lynn is getting in the way. Just doesn't add up

Lynn may need to go. But why should Telesco remain.
        Telesco and Lynn have different responsibilities. Whether one does a good, average or poor job has nothing to do with whether the other has done a good, average or poor job.

Telesco's primary task is to acquire player the best player personnel possible. The roster has playoff level talent. That is not the problem.

All teams have areas of weakness. On our team, the main weakness is the OL (which you have maintained on multiple prior occasions was really not that bad). But that does not prove that the roster is not a playoff caliber roster on the whole as there is good to elite talent in many other areas of the roster.

That is not to say that I think Telesco is great. I think he is average, but has achieved an above average roster because he has had 3 chances in 8 years to draft in the top 7, which helps.

Lynn, by contrast, is the worst head coach in the NFL. The last two weeks have demonstrated that beyond all doubt.

So, there is nothing inconsistent with ownership concluding that Lynn's bottom of the barrel performance warrants him being fired, but that Telesco's average performance is good enough to prevent him from being fired.

There is no risk in firing Lynn as any replacement will almost certainly be better. It is only 50/50 that we will do better by firing Telesco. We could very easily wind up with a worse GM, which is why I think firing Telesco represents a roll of the dice.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Well. I mean you are replacing a HC with less than 4 seasons of Experience with BB or Reid who have 20 years. Or Tomlin 14 years. So yes. I would agree with you they could have made a difference. But they also have the better GMs. And you won't be replacing Lynn with any of them. You will be replacing him with who? Another 1st time HC?
          Who they should hire is a darn good question. They got a break with covid this year and didn't have to sell tickets. But coming off back to back really bad seasons would kind of indicate they need a splash hire. They have said in the past they realize that the only way to build support in LA is to win. Clearly the past couple of years haven't exactly gone as planned for them.

A first time HC is a gamble. A lot of people like Bienemy but I'm not sure what to make of him. He is spoken of highly by people around the league - but so were McCoy and Lynn. How much of the KC success is him or Reid? Since Reid is still calling the plays and has big input into their offense, it's hard to tell and it is a gamble going with him. Same with a lot of the coordinators. Do we hire a retread like McDaniels and hope he learned from his mistakes and is ready? Go for a college HC?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Who they should hire is a darn good question. They got a break with covid this year and didn't have to sell tickets. But coming off back to back really bad seasons would kind of indicate they need a splash hire. They have said in the past they realize that the only way to build support in LA is to win. Clearly the past couple of years haven't exactly gone as planned for them.

A first time HC is a gamble. A lot of people like Bienemy but I'm not sure what to make of him. He is spoken of highly by people around the league - but so were McCoy and Lynn. How much of the KC success is him or Reid? Since Reid is still calling the plays and has big input into their offense, it's hard to tell and it is a gamble going with him. Same with a lot of the coordinators. Do we hire a retread like McDaniels and hope he learned from his mistakes and is ready? Go for a college HC?
            Somebody on twitter mentioned Marvin Lewis. He took the Bengals to the playoffs many years when they were the Bungles for so long. Never went far - I mean McCoy beat him one year

I am fine with a one fired retread like Josh, Pagano - but still prefer a more successful coach like Caldwell or the college route, Kelly

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Somebody on twitter mentioned Marvin Lewis. He took the Bengals to the playoffs many years when they were the Bungles for so long. Never went far - I mean McCoy beat him one year

I am fine with a one fired retread like Josh, Pagano - but still prefer a more successful coach like Caldwell or the college route, Kelly
              If we can get B. Kelly that is the direction I’d go.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

If we can get B. Kelly that is the direction I’d go.
                Spanos doesn't have enough $$ to compete with the Catholic church!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

So you have a definite 'you're fired plan' But you don't know about your replacement plan.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The roster has playoff level talent. That is not the problem.

All teams have areas of weakness. On our team, the main weakness is the OL (which you have maintained on multiple prior occasions was really not that bad). But that does not prove that the roster is not a playoff caliber roster on the whole as there is good to elite talent in many other areas of the roster.
                    The team's roster doesn't have good depth. That is what gets them. When you have back-to-back seasons of losing 10+ games, something is wrong. People like to blame the coaches. Yes the coaches are bad, but it's more than that. The roster is overrated.

The OL, DL aside from Bosa, secondary, and WR corps outside of Allen are bad.

Austin Ekeler is very good, but aspects about him keep him from being great. Then you have players like Hunter Henry and Mike Williams who are good, but have moments when they don't step up. Many players on this team are living on reputation; Hayward, Chris Harris Jr, Bulaga, Turner, Joseph, and a declining Ingram.

Many players were blamed for the team's poor record in 2019. Those player aren't here anymore. You still have other players from 2019 and the year before, who are still here. The ones who are still here aren't getting blamed like the players who left were. It doesn't make sense. Letting the blame be with the players who are gone, and not doing the same with the players who are still here, doesn't do the losing games of the team any justice.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Telesco on the hot seat starting to get national attention, not just on this MB.
                      While Anthony Lynn is the one on the hot seat, Tom Telesco should shoulder some of the blame.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
                        Telesco on the hot seat starting to get national attention, not just on this MB.
                        He should be on the damn hot seat.

His drafts have had success but some whiffs
                        Has tried to build the OL - but hasn't
                        This years ST are terrible as he let key guys go and didn't replace them (Adrian Phillips for 3m was an easy one to make and he whiffed on it)
                        Plus if Lynn is gone - this would be his third HC hire. I guess Beathard got three but not sure I trust Tommy T though I know Johnny D Spanii is in the room
                        Telesco has had 8 years - two playoffs, no divisions and a lot of L's...
                        just looking at his third and fourth roundres

3rd and 4th

13: Keenan and no fourth because of Te'O
                        14: Watt and no fourth because of Attaochu
                        15: Mager and no fourth because of Gordon
                        16: Max Tuerk and Joshua Perry (ouch - lasted one year - RIP to Tuerk who was on the PS or inactive)
                        17: Feeney and Rayshawn - at least they have lasted
                        18: Justin Jones and Kyzir White - Jones is pretty good
                        19: Pipkins and Dru - Tranq might be solid; Pip is probably El Busta a Move
                        20: no third because of Murray and Josh Kelley

Overall - in those key mid round 3rd and 4th rounds - he gets at best a D+
                        Keenan was his best pick ever because he was the third round but too many non picks or busts
                        Shit can his ass!!!

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

So you have a definite 'you're fired plan' But you don't know about your replacement plan.
                          It doesn't really matter what I want and it's not like I know who would even be interested, but if I was GM these would be at the top of my list in this order:

Urban Meyers
                          Brian Kelly
                          Josh McDaniels
                          Lincoln Riley
                          Brian Daboll
                          Eric Bienemy
                          Jim Harbaugh
                          Dave Toub

Comment

Working...
                          X