Popper: How Can The Spanos Family Not Overhaul The Bolts Now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

have never claimed to be a football savant, and even if it was the inside guy that blocked the kick, don't think that's where you want the outside rusher to end up regardless ??

and have been there too.... frustrated w/Telesco, and have repeatedly mentioned that his track record w/personnel is that of a (very) avg GM, and that said....

just like you claimed PR was the problem and what was holding AL and the Chargers back from winning mobile/RPO football, and as it has been shown that 'tis not the case....

would love to see the difference w/Joe Brady in charge of this team, as do think the difference will be quite noticeable, if not night and day.

ps. not only was Phil here for the 22-9, but so was was Telesco.
    PR was not a problem in 2017 or 2018. The 2018 season had a very healthy o-line.
    2019 PR was not the only problem, but he participated in it. 20int is too many no matter the o-line. And he had at least 3 game losing interception where he flat out made a poor decision with the football. Everyone said he had to play perfect. I said no he doesn't. He just need to cut back a few turnovers.

Also when o-line struggle they could not move the pocket or roll out or bootlegs with a 38 year old immobile QB. The solution was two fold to me. Get a QB who has some mobility to roll out and bootleg. And build a better offensive line.

Which is why on wishlist thread. I had Telesco replaced with Hortiz and Beienemy as asst HC and OC and also wanted to go after Conklin and Castonzo for the tackles.
    They kept Telesco, got Bulaga and Turner and stuck with same OC. Unfortunately again for Telesco his o-line choices struggle to stay healthy and productive. Between Pouncey, Bulaga, Turner he isn't getting his money worth. A Total of 13 games played between them.

​​​​​​Conklin has played 11. Castonzo 10.
    Two player 21 starts on o-line in 2020.

Telesco RG, RT and OC just 13 starts combined.

Best talent is availability. Telesco ignores that.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

PR was not a problem in 2017 or 2018. The 2018 season had a very healthy o-line.
      2019 PR was not the only problem, but he participated in it. 20int is too many no matter the o-line. And he had at least 3 game losing interception where he flat out made a poor decision with the football. Everyone said he had to play perfect. I said no he doesn't. He just need to cut back a few turnovers.

Also when o-line struggle they could not move the pocket or roll out or bootlegs with a 38 year old immobile QB. The solution was two fold to me. Get a QB who has some mobility to roll out and bootleg. And build a better offensive line.

Which is why on wishlist thread. I had Telesco replaced with Hortiz and Beienemy as asst HC and OC and also wanted to go after Conklin and Castonzo for the tackles.
      They kept Telesco, got Bulaga and Turner and stuck with same OC. Unfortunately again for Telesco his o-line choices struggle to stay healthy and productive. Between Pouncey, Bulaga, Turner he isn't getting his money worth. A Total of 13 games played between them.

​​​​​​Conklin has played 11. Castonzo 10.
      Two player 21 starts on o-line in 2020.

Telesco RG, RT and OC just 13 starts combined.

Best talent is availability. Telesco ignores that.
      A lot of investment you are correct - but Pouncey was, for me, a bad re-sign. He had a bad hip when he left the Dolphins. I just did not understand why they thought Pouncey would get healthier.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

A lot of investment you are correct - but Pouncey was, for me, a bad re-sign. He had a bad hip when he left the Dolphins. I just did not understand why they thought Pouncey would get healthier.
        Yep.

​​​​​​You can also look at how many 16 starts season in career.
        So Telesco will be seeing percentage of 16 games starts for their NFL career before he signed them or when they might have become available to sign or trade for.
        Bulaga 2 in 9 years with Packers 22%
        Turner 2 in 6 years with Panthers 33%
        Conklin 3 in 4 years with Titans. 75%
        Castonzo 6 in 9 years with Colts 66%
        Pouncey 3 in 7 years with Miami. 42%
        Okung 1 in 7 years with Sea/Den 14%

So the odds that either Okung, Pouncey, Turner or Bulaga would start all 16 games based on their history was not a good bet.

And what interesting is the only one of Telesco oline acquisitions who actually did start all 16 once he was on Chargers was Pouncey in 2018. The man with the highest percentage of the 4 Telesco brought in.

Telesco seems to have a habit of ignoring availability on a players resume.

Jason Verrett scouting report had a big red flag, it was can he actually hold up for 16 games in NFL. If he can you got a great player, but if he can't you wasted your pick. Telesco used a 1st rd pick on him betting he could. Only K.Allen seem to have overcome the injury concern. One player out of all the bets on damaged goods Telesco has made.

If they are going to overhaul the Bolts. It starts by firing Telesco.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Yep.

So Telesco will be seeing percentage of 16 games starts for their NFL career before he signed them or when they might have become available to sign or trade for.

So the odds that either Okung, Pouncey, Turner or Bulaga would start all 16 games based on their history was not a good bet.

And what interesting is the only one of Telesco oline acquisitions who actually did start all 16 once he was on Chargers was Pouncey in 2018. The man with the highest percentage of the 4 Telesco brought in.

Jason Verrett scouting report had a big red flag, it was can he actually hold up for 16 games in NFL. If he can you got a great player, but if he can't you wasted your pick. Telesco used a 1st rd pick on him betting he could. Only K.Allen seem to have overcome the injury concern. One player out of all the bets on damaged goods Telesco has made.

^ This. The only player I can think of that had an injury or injury issues who mostly worked well for us (except for 2015 and 2016) is Keenan Allen. But then, he was a 3rd rounder with a 1st round grade. So, the flyer was worth it. But you NEVER want to draft a 1st rounder with a damaged goods background...

Comment

• Pointyearedog
            Humble Chargers Fan
            • May 2017
            • Golden Hill
            • Medical Devices Operations
            • Send PM

The drier climate, and the fresh California air.

Doc Holliday.jpg
            "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Makes sense now. Rex was really emotional about not being able to tell the Chargers they were hiring a glorified gym teacher for a head coach.
              hahaha...he was crying so hard at how dumb the spanii are!

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

^^^THIS^^^. Even I could see pouncey was NOT gonna play, or be anywhere effective if he even got to play. He's been on a downward spiral the last couple of seasons...I think the 1st one was the only good season he had. dude cant stay healthy worth a lick.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Yep.

good stats...BUT how many games did they play each year. Maybe they played 15 each year which, to me, would be GREAT! Dont just count full seasons, but count how many games played each season.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

hahaha...he was crying so hard at how dumb the spanii are!
                    Cmon bro, you heard it. He (Lynn) is a PILLAR! You telling us you don’t cry for pillars? Yeah, thought so. No shame brah. We all do. Sniff.

I was guessing this was 4 yrs ago, not in the midst of last year’s shitshow. Wow. Rex really never has a steady ability to objectively analyze anything, as i think about it.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Cmon bro, you heard it. He (Lynn) is a PILLAR! You telling us you don’t cry for pillars? Yeah, thought so. No shame brah. We all do. Sniff.

I was guessing this was 4 yrs ago, not in the midst of last year’s shitshow. Wow. Rex really never has a steady ability to objectively analyze anything, as i think about it.
                      Well, right now, Mr. Pillar looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa...

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

haha! and yeah he was still crying at how dumb the spanii were back then!

Comment

• Nunc Coepi
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

A few years ago, I was watching the Chargers play the Colts. Rivers threw two pass completions of about 40 yards apiece. Both comletions were called back. Referees penalized Charger players on both plays for unsportsmanlike conduct

The penalties wiped at least six points off of the board for us and maybe more. Both passes would have lut us close to the end zone.

Why were penalty flags thrown?

Some Charger players uttered swear words or something. It's the first and only time I've ever seen anything like it in a football game. The penalties had the intended effect. We lost by four points. It handed the game to the Colts.

One can make some assumptions about why the refs did what they did. The Colts have a good fan base, and the NFL had an investment in Andrew Luck. They were promoting him heavily in those days. Meanwhile, the Chargers have fewer fans all of the time. Our franchises pulls in nowhere near the money for the NFL as other teams. The NFL is a business, and the objective of a business is to make its customers happy. So teams with good fan baseswill get the referees favor in close situations. Sometimes, referees will invent things to help opposing teams.

Who remembers the Ed Hochuli call? Can anyone doubt that he made that call to appease Denver fans? There are more of them than Charger fans.

It is a problem. There are many more examples. It will keep Charher fans from reaching the peak fans want.

It is a Spanos problem. He is an NFL bottom-feeder. The refs know it and treat his team accordingly. Rivers languished here, and so will Herbert because the owner could care less about cultivating fans.

Comment

Working...
                          X