• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well I said I wouldn't draft a TE in the first round for us unless MAYBE we didn't resign Henry who is the better player right now.
    Even then I Probably wouldn't go TE. I'd stay the course with OT or Parsons or trade down.
    I'd never take a TE in the 1st Round either. This kid is a generational talent at the position. That's the caveat to the rule.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well if you draft Pitts that means you have let Henry walk as you can't spend 10m or whatever on Henry and draft this guy

Second, it seems like a bit of a luxury pick because unless the OL has improved - I am leery

Now if you trade back from whatever and get picks and still get Pitts say 9-12 - though I would prefer OT - I would at least see the thought. At 4 or 5 though, has to be more need to me,.
      Trade back option is better. I mean the great TEs at the NFL level are developed. Gronk was 2nd round pick, Gonzalez 13th pick, Kelce was 3rd round, Gates wasn't even drafted.

#5 overall pick for TE seems of a bit high risk. Track this pick Ghost. Comeback in 2 years from now and prove us wrong

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I'd never take a TE in the 1st Round either.
        Rod Bernstine objects to your take.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Rod Bernstine objects to your take.
          Bernstine the RB? Lol
          I'd draft a TE in the first round but not at #4 when Henry will most likely be back.

Bernstine was #24 in round 1

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bernstine the RB? Lol
            I'd draft a TE in the first round but not at #4 when Henry will most likely be back.

Bernstine was #24 in round 1
            A TE like a Kelce, Kittle or a young Gronk can be game changing players but I'd bring Henry back and use that pick to plug a hole on the OL, corner or edge rusher instead.

Berstine was not worth where he was picked.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Is there really anyone on this board who does not believe the Chiefs are going to win two Super Bowls in a row?

Two in a row is SO hard but they have the personnel to do it and the coaches/front office.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Trade back option is better. I mean the great TEs at the NFL level are developed. Gronk was 2nd round pick, Gonzalez 13th pick, Kelce was 3rd round, Gates wasn't even drafted.

#5 overall pick for TE seems of a bit high risk. Track this pick Ghost. Comeback in 2 years from now and prove us wrong
                IMO, still the best draft strategy, is to find a replacement for Melvin Ingram's production in the front defensive seven. #1 priority, over the offensive line, which is priority #2.

The best pick is the best defensive player in the 2021 draft, who is 20 years old: Micah Parsons

Bud Wilkinson, the legendary former coach of the University of Oklahoma, is credited with originally devising the scheme in the 1940s. His successor, Chuck Fairbanks, is considered by many to be the coach who popularized it in the NFL when he took over the New England Patriots in 1973.

New England wasn’t first, though. The famed “No Name” defense of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins actually played a version of the 3-4 and was the first team to win a Super Bowl with it. Don Shula called it a "53" defense because that was the number Bob Matheson wore, but it was really one of the original NFL 3-4s. Shula and defensive coordinator Bill Arnsparger went with the scheme after losing a number of linemen to injury in the preseason.
                https://www.profootballweekly.com/20...bears/a5wpjp0/

Chicago still plays in a 3-4 OVER that Fangio installed in 2015. I favor the same scheme, except OLB Micah Parsons playing across from DE Joey Bosa.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

IMO, still the best draft strategy, is to find a replacement for Melvin Ingram's production in the front defensive seven. #1 priority, over the offensive line, which is priority #2.

The best pick is the best defensive player in the 2021 draft, who is 20 years old: Micah Parsons

https://www.profootballweekly.com/20...bears/a5wpjp0/

Chicago still plays in a 3-4 OVER that Fangio installed in 2015. I favor the same scheme, except OLB Micah Parsons playing across from DE Joey Bosa.
                  Yes now you talking. We have draft capital and getting talented pass rushers are expensive. Get them while they're cheap = rookie contract. I like Carlos Basham myself as a trade down optin.

Comment

• eaterfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Yes now you talking. We have draft capital and getting talented pass rushers are expensive. Get them while they're cheap = rookie contract. I like Carlos Basham myself as a trade down optin.
                    Quality LTs are even just as expensive (Bahktiari signed for $23.5 mil, Tunsil $22 mil) and actually never hit FA. You have to get them in the draft. You see good pass rushers hit the open market sometimes, you never see a LT under 30 hit FA. Ever.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

A TE like a Kelce, Kittle or a young Gronk can be game changing players but I'd bring Henry back and use that pick to plug a hole on the OL, corner or edge rusher instead.

Berstine was not worth where he was picked.
                      Kelce was a 3rd rounder, Gronk a 3rd rounder (who would have been a 1st had he been healthy in and coming out of college), and Kittle was a 5th round pick (got a 3rd-4th round ranking by the NFL experts who do the rankings for the league).

The problem with Micah Parsons is can he rush the QB. He makes a lot of plays as a blitzer, but he is hardly used as a regular pass rusher, and none of his sacks on his highlight tapes show him winning against blockers, like a pass rusher needs to in the NFL. It is a big project to spend a top draft pick on a guy to have him switch from on off the ball LB to a pass rusher.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ith-no-4-pick/

image_2020-12-15_105718.png

Looking at this from a Chiefs POV, their offense runs through the tight end. The best way to spend this pick, is to get Chargers QB Justin Herbert the best TE in the league.
                        Kyle Pitts might be listed as a TE, but he is really a big WR. You can't ask the guy to play inline TE in the NFL, or he will get mauled by SAM LB.

The better way to think of him as just as a big WR. Pitts is a pretty much like Waller was tonight, or the same style of player as Gates. But if you think he is another Henry or Jason Witten, you are going to be disappointed, because he doesn't have the frame to be a blocker.

Henry is a much better fit as a true inline TE. He can block, get off the line vs a LB, and still run well enough to beat DB.

You can get them both on the field if you ignore Pitts label as TE, and think of him as a slot WR or Hback. He is much better in space, so the TE thing is just not his strong suit. But let him use his unusual mix of size, speed and quickness as a receiver, and then outmuscle the DB who are out in space, he would be a fine big WR or pass catching TE.

The thing that is going to slow his development would be if we keep Henry, then until he improves his route running, then you would be taking a top (highly paid) pass catcher off the field on a lot of 3rd downs, at least until he develops. Still, do you want to spend such a high pick at a position where we already have Henry (unless we let him walk), Pardom, and Nabers along with a blocker in Virgil Green.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Pat Freiermuth would be an ideal TE if we don’t resign Henry
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X