• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
    If my calc. is correct 4 o7 HC positions have been filled. My final 3 are Daboll, Staley and Garrett. Am not a fan of choosing another HC without HC experience, so Garrett.
    My concern is by the time we get around to hiring HC, most of the really good Coordinators will be gone. Staff will be a crap shoot unless we keep a few of our current coaches.
    Daboll
    Garrett

I guess its good to do the due diligence with Staley but to me - if he is hired -its just not a good move. The guy just doesn't have the experience. One year as a DC for the best defense in the league - that to me doesn't show enough for me personally. McDermott was a DC for 8 years when he got the job with the Bills.

It could be due diligence but this feels like the Chargers being the Chargers and over-thinking things. If you are to hire a DC type - why not talk to the Ravens guy - he has much more experience than Staley. Staley would be McCoy riding Mannings coattails - only in this case its Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

So let's think this through.
      Daboll has already agreed to be our HC.
      He knows that to successful,
      he has to have the right staff.
      Don't we figure Daboll has talked to his guys ?
      It is hush-hush because of what Josh McDaniels did.
      Now Brian is back to gameplanning for KC.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
        If my calc. is correct 4 o7 HC positions have been filled. My final 3 are Daboll, Staley and Garrett. Am not a fan of choosing another HC without HC experience, so Garrett.
        My concern is by the time we get around to hiring HC, most of the really good Coordinators will be gone. Staff will be a crap shoot unless we keep a few of our current coaches.
        Officially three filled. Dan Campbell (Saints Asst HC/TE coach) is said to be the guy for the Lions, but can't be hired until the Saints are done.

Just like Head Coaches, good assistants don't move, unless they get fired en-masse with their coach, or until their contract runs out. With there being no combine, there won't be a big networking event for the guys looking for work. I suppose that an interviewing HC probably has a list of guys he wants on his staff, and contingencies that is discussed during the interview process. A guy like Daboll probably has a lot more contacts than a newer guy like Staley, but McVay is real young, and got a good staff anyway.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Officially three filled. Dan Campbell (Saints Asst HC/TE coach) is said to be the guy for the Lions, but can't be hired until the Saints are done.

Just like Head Coaches, good assistants don't move, unless they get fired en-masse with their coach, or until their contract runs out. With there being no combine, there won't be a big networking event for the guys looking for work. I suppose that an interviewing HC probably has a list of guys he wants on his staff, and contingencies that is discussed during the interview process. A guy like Daboll probably has a lot more contacts than a newer guy like Staley, but McVay is real young, and got a good staff anyway.
          Somebody earlier wrote that Pat Kirwan said Daboll will be the chargers coach and he has a staff in place. If true, and it was reported by ESPN, Fox and NBC that Daboll was the leader in the clubhouse so to speak - why the interview with Staley. Maybe just more intel gathering - who knows.

But I was hoping that names would start leaking this week about the staff Daboll is putting together.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            So let's think this through.
            Daboll has already agreed to be our HC.
            He knows that to successful,
            he has to have the right staff.
            Don't we figure Daboll has talked to his guys ?
            It is hush-hush because of what Josh McDaniels did.
            Now Brian is back to gameplanning for KC.
            Yep...not to worry...if he's as smart about hiring his staff as he is about game planning, we'll be fine...

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

McVay is the exception to the rule really. But it helps that he was well connected as a kid due to his grandfather. It also helped that he worked under both Grudens and both Shanahans.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Somebody earlier wrote that Pat Kirwan said Daboll will be the chargers coach and he has a staff in place. If true, and it was reported by ESPN, Fox and NBC that Daboll was the leader in the clubhouse so to speak - why the interview with Staley. Maybe just more intel gathering - who knows.

But I was hoping that names would start leaking this week about the staff Daboll is putting together.
                Why the interview with Staley? They probably wanted to do their due diligence before deciding. Remember that they canceled their other interviews in 2013 after talking to McCoy. I suppose after talking to everyone, it made it easier to decide on Daboll.
                Edit: also helps to have a back up plan if Daboll decides he rather be OC for another year.
                Last edited by Xenos; 01-17-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Maybe we should be interviewing the Bills DC for our Head coaching job as well...
                  Hey Ya, Stinky. Hope you are well, Jon.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Why the interview with Staley? They probably wanted to do their due diligence before deciding. Remember that they canceled their other interviews in 2013 after talking to McCoy. I suppose after talking to everyone, it made it easier to decide on Daboll.
                    Edit: also helps to have a back up plan if Daboll decides he rather be OC for another year.
                    This is pure speculation on my part, but rumors are Bieniemy will not be hired again this hiring cycle. Using that fact, perhaps the Charger brass wanted to be in the clubhouse with two candidates they felt very good about. They had one in Daboll, when they felt Bieniemy wasn't quite the sure-thing, they brought in a defensive coordinator they like, as due diligence. Now, they have two very solid candidates to cover themselves.

Dean surely has PTSD from his hard lessons in selecting an NFL coach, and Dean said he was going to inject himself into this process, I believe that wider net cast was Dean's doing.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

good point - I forgot once McCoy interviewed they stopped - which may not have been prudent

okay - interview Staley - it doesn't hurt.

For sure - they should still interview Daboll again too. Frazier can interview today with the Texans - wonder why Daboll can't. Unless with Frazier its his first with Houston with Daboll it would be teh second.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

good point - I forgot once McCoy interviewed they stopped - which may not have been prudent

okay - interview Staley - it doesn't hurt.

For sure - they should still interview Daboll again too. Frazier can interview today with the Texans - wonder why Daboll can't. Unless with Frazier its his first with Houston with Daboll it would be teh second.
                        I was wondering about Frazier being able to interview also. I thought that it had to be because he’s a minority but then why can’t Bienemy interview then?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

I was wondering about Frazier being able to interview also. I thought that it had to be because he’s a minority but then why can’t Bienemy interview then?
                          It has to be that each coaches FIRST interview is a specific window. Bye teams its the first week (so thats Bieniemy); non bye teams its after the play-off game (Daboll last week, Frazier today). Seconds can only come after a team is eliminated. That is the only scenario I can come up without googling

Comment

Working...
                          X