• Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont really agree thats what we NEED.

Why cant they just get a good OC and QB coach? Everyone here seems to want to keep Pep....and rightly so, he did a good job as the QB coach with Herbert. And he would of done the same good job had we had a defensive HC.

Is the thought process here that Herbert will be ignored if we hire a defensive HC? You all do know McDermott is a defensive HC right? They just have to hire the right OC.....which he did and his OC is the guy many want here for our HC.

Why cant Staley do that?
    Exactly. And why do people think Herbert needs an offense minded HC to be great? He had Anthony Lynn who only cares about running the ball and still had the best rookie seal any QB ever had.

Herbert isn’t the problem. He doesn’t need to be fixed. This isn’t like why the Bills hired Daboll to fix Josh Allen because he sucked before Daboll got there.

Our defense is a way bigger problem than Herbert is. This is where we should be more focused on imo. Any half decent player can fix the issue of the dumb playcalling that we had last season.
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by alex8080 View Post
      i'm actually more interested in who the DC will be. they have so much individual talent and yet they seem to take too much plays off.
      Maybe the talent is overrated? Gus gets way too much of the blame for the defenses failures.

If Daboll is the coach for this team, I'm confident about him. He's worked on the defensive side of the ball in one of his jobs.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

I've wondered since the beginning of this if Robery Saleh was the one we want/need. Seeing what he gets out of his players and how he got the job done with all those injuries - well, I was impressed.

Since Saleh's off the table, I wonder if it should be Staley over Daboll. What I read about the guy, I like the work-ethic, the HIGH praise from his players, and the results he's gotten. I just have a sinking feeling about Daboll as the HC (and would be happy eat crow). But I think a defensive-minded coach would be amazing with Bosa, James, Murray, etc. Then let him bring in his OC.

As Critty says, you definitely need players. So TT better get the job done this offseason. But in terms of our HC, I'm thinking Staley over Daboll. There. I'm on the record.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
          I've wondered since the beginning of this if Robery Saleh was the one we want/need. Seeing what he gets out of his players and how he got the job done with all those injuries - well, I was impressed.

Since Saleh's off the table, I wonder if it should be Staley over Daboll. What I read about the guy, I like the work-ethic, the HIGH praise from his players, and the results he's gotten. I just have a sinking feeling about Daboll as the HC (and would be happy eat crow). But I think a defensive-minded coach would be amazing with Bosa, James, Murray, etc. Then let him bring in his OC.

As Critty says, you definitely need players. So TT better get the job done this offseason. But in terms of our HC, I'm thinking Staley over Daboll. There. I'm on the record.
          Its extrememly rare for a DC oriented HC wants an aggressive high scoring offense...... Most DC's turned HC's coach offense scared and tend to want just runs and dump offs..... they dont want offense to leave defense in bad position.....

only way to know is to interview them......and find out what offensive philosophy is..... he is likely like Marty or Lynn(who is a defensive-minded RB coach) and wants a safe slow boring RB oriented low scoring offense.....

If he would hire an OC like Daboll and let him actually coach the offense to be an aggressive high scoring offense then I'd be fine with a great defensive mind as HC......

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

They should’ve called in Saleh for his 2nd interview sooner. He interviewed with the Jets for his 2nd interview and then had 2 days between that and when the Jets actually hired him.

Chargers should’ve brought him in for his 2nd in-person interview the day after he interviewed with the Jets.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Exactly. And why do people think Herbert needs an offense minded HC to be great? He had Anthony Lynn who only cares about running the ball and still had the best rookie seal any QB ever had.

Herbert isn’t the problem. He doesn’t need to be fixed. This isn’t like why the Bills hired Daboll to fix Josh Allen because he sucked before Daboll got there.

Our defense is a way bigger problem than Herbert is. This is where we should be more focused on imo. Any half decent player can fix the issue of the dumb playcalling that we had last season.
              TEAM. Cliche but true. O, D & STs should help each other. The HC is responsible for all three.
              Choices made re staff, player personnel and handling interaction are a major part of being a quality HC.
              Nobody needs to fix anyone but they can all use help & support.
              Daboll has been in the NFL 20 yrs and worked his way up through a variety of positions. I like him because of his overall grasp of the game.
              Getting the right OC, DC, ST and position coaches is huge in any event.
              If Herbert is the Chargers biggest star of the future, let's give him the ball & support the hell out of him with great field position, more opportunities.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                Chargers Hall of Fame
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Its extrememly rare for a DC oriented HC wants an aggressive high scoring offense...... Most DC's turned HC's coach offense scared and tend to want just runs and dump offs..... they dont want offense to leave defense in bad position.....

only way to know is to interview them......and find out what offensive philosophy is..... he is likely like Marty or Lynn(who is a defensive-minded RB coach) and wants a safe slow boring RB oriented low scoring offense.....

If he would hire an OC like Daboll and let him actually coach the offense to be an aggressive high scoring offense then I'd be fine with a great defensive mind as HC......
                Not so sure about that. Perhaps if we were hiring an old-school DC. But these young guys bring a whole new, tactical, and aggressive style of coaching, which I love.

Sean McDermott comes to mind, hiring Daboll to charge up their offense. And, as last night showed, he was fine to let them pass, pass, pass.

Even the veteran DC coaches are happy to light it up on offense. They want the team to adapt and win. Look at Belichick (during most seasons) and "Riverboat" Ron Rivera, as examples. Coaches who go for it, are aggressive, and are happy to push the gas on both sides of the ball, if needed.

Besides, Staley played QB and was a position coach. My point is, it depends more on the individual than the generic stereotype of "a DC wants to run on offense".

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

So, of the remaining spots (excluding Detroit), Houston and Phily are Toxic Waste sites, probably a last resort for a retread, or for someone who has nothing to lose because they have the benefit of youth. If Staley gets blown away by an offer, I think he'll take any position. Daboll probably is looking for the 'right' situation, and may have turned down interview requests that we don't know of. I don't think Brady or Eberflus are serious candidates for the Chargers. I really don't think Bieniemy is a good fit either. I know its a conservative 'safe' move, but I'd wait until they can get the second interview with Daboll, unless they already know he's not tthe guy.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    So, of the remaining spots (excluding Detroit), Houston and Phily are Toxic Waste sites, probably a last resort for a retread, or for someone who has nothing to lose because they have the benefit of youth. If Staley gets blown away by an offer, I think he'll take any position. Daboll probably is looking for the 'right' situation, and may have turned down interview requests that we don't know of. I don't think Brady or Eberflus are serious candidates for the Chargers. I really don't think Bieniemy is a good fit either. I know its a conservative 'safe' move, but I'd wait until they can get the second interview with Daboll, unless they already know he's not tthe guy.
                    Daboll needs a second interview and I actually would think with the time, Jason Garrett should get a second interview

I just am not down on him as others - he is an open book. YOu have a good idea what you are getting - and thats not bad. You can review how often he went for it on 4th down for instance; game management, clock management. The tape is out there.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Yeah I'm thinking if Daboll or Staley get passed over by us they probably go back to their jobs with their respective teams instead of going to those teams.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Daboll needs a second interview and I actually would think with the time, Jason Garrett should get a second interview

I just am not down on him as others - he is an open book. YOu have a good idea what you are getting - and thats not bad. You can review how often he went for it on 4th down for instance; game management, clock management. The tape is out there.
                        Well they can bring him anytime as he isn't in the playoffs and they haven't. Instead they waited for Staley and assuming Daboll.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Other Defense minded HC's who won SB's
                          Bill Parcells with his QB's
                          Yoda Belicheck (6) with Brady
                          It's possible

Staley with Herbert?

Like I've said, we can win SB's with Staley, Daboll, Garret (w/ Herbert)
                          You forgot Mike Tomlin

Comment

Working...
                          X