• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I don’t agree with that first paragraph. Let me give you a recent example. McDermott was hired by the Bills with Doug Whaley as their GM. He was there until after the draft where he was subsequently fired and then replaced by McDermott’s friend from Carolina Brandon Beane. So I don’t think it deters us from getting a good HC.

The other more unlikely scenario is what happened to Les Snead. He was GM when Jeff Fisher was HC with the Rams. He not only survived being fired as well but just got a recent extension with McVay. I say unlikely because this would be the third HC under Telesco.

And did you forget that the Spanos had to pay AJ Smith and Norv Turner after 2012?
    That's what I would like them to do: have the new head coach select the GM;

The Spanos organizationally have always featured the GM over the head coach....they would never go for that;
    new guy comes in and doesn't like the head coach, the head coach will soon be gone.
    Head coach needs to win from day one.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
      What a compliment... to spend only 45 minutes a week with you speaks volumes....

and yes... if the Spanoses dont fire at least AL (They should also fire TT) then here's a big "f++k you" to you spanoses...
      they truly need to fire both

telesco has had 8 years to put a team together
      thats enough time for him

lynn has shown his strengths and weaknesses and his weaknesses are on full display every game day and his strengths are more intangibles often only seen in the building

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
        What a compliment... to spend only 45 minutes a week with you speaks volumes....

and yes... if the Spanoses dont fire at least AL (They should also fire TT) then here's a big "f++k you" to you spanoses...
        Dean Spanos fired Norv Turner after going 7-9. That fact is for those wondering what finishing on a winning streak will earn Anthony Lynn.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Dean Spanos fired Norv Turner after going 7-9. That fact is for those wondering what finishing on a winning streak will earn Anthony Lynn.
          Interesting that Norv won 3 of last 4 as well with the last two being wins. Swepped KC and Oakland, split with Denver with the lone out of division win against Pittsburgh.

You give us hope lol.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The Spanos organizationally have always featured the GM over the head coach....they would never go for that;
            new guy comes in and doesn't like the head coach, the head coach will soon be gone.
            You're onto something, PBB. What you are talking about is a new front office dynamic that the KC Chiefs have taken the lead on. They paired Andy Reid with Brett Veach as GM, under Director of Football Operations Mike Borgonzi. Andy hired Veach as an assistant in Philly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffed...h=2f9dd9694488

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

All teams do that. There is one team that didnt but forget which it was....and it was bizarre and everybody in the media was like WTH are they doing.
              Now Dean lets JohnBoy pick the Headcoach which is lame.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Interesting that Norv won 3 of last 4 as well with the last two being wins. Swepped KC and Oakland, split with Denver with the lone out of division win against Pittsburgh.

You give us hope lol.
                Norv and AJ were publicly feuding by that time. Norv was questioning the talent on the team to reporters and AJ was questioning the toughness of the team.
                It was an untenable situation for someone like Dean Spanos.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

All teams do that. There is one team that didnt but forget which it was....and it was bizarre and everybody in the media was like WTH are they doing.
                  Now Dean lets JohnBoy pick the Headcoach which is lame.
                  Chargers under the Spanos always sign their GM before the new head coach......Butler a year before Marty, Telesco, right before McCoy; Beathard came in two years before Ross - Henning was on probation by that time. No head coach has ever outlasted the GM. General Managers used to have their choose of head coach.

That all changed with John Spanos.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

All teams do that.

Counterpoint: No.They don't. They bloody well don't. This is a relatively new concept. I likes ya, but you're wrong.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Counterpoint: No.They don't. They bloody well don't. This is a relatively new concept. I likes ya, but you're wrong.
                      LOL...I see you edited out the part where you claimed BoltJolt was talking our of his arse....but no matter...you still said he was wrong...

Hold up, will ya? I'm gonna make some popcorn and grab a beer...I'll be right back...don't you two start without me.:stirringshit:
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Chargers under the Spanos always sign their GM before the new head coach......Butler a year before Marty, Telesco, right before McCoy; Beathard came in two years before Ross - Henning was on probation by that time. No head coach has ever outlasted the GM. General Managers used to have their choose of head coach.

That all changed with John Spanos.
                        Correct. There has always been a traditional GM-head coach hierarchy in the NFL. That is the mesh-point, where the football man, like GM John Butler & his assistant GM AJ Smith, hired the coach, and the coach had input. It's always been flawed because no none willingly gives up power. Anywhere in life. There are now head coach-GM pairings, and Carolina's David Tepper wants to move his club in the same direction.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

LOL...I see you edited out the part where you claimed BoltJolt was talking our of his arse....but no matter...you still said he was wrong...

Hold up, will ya? I'm gonna make some popcorn and grab a beer...I'll be right back...don't you two start without me.:stirringshit:
                          I cleaned up my fucking language because I'm going into my 11th month of lockdown next month and I'm salty as hell. But Thanks?

Comment

Working...
                          X