• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

That is a horrible drafting record..... Bosa was a no brainer...... all of the others required brains and research........ and misses were major.....

other teams have turned it around in a year or 2...... Chargers keep drafting badly year after year, along with poor coaching which leads to many losing seasons.....
    since some of our players have gotten better after they joined other teams with better coaching, maybe if Chargers had great coaching, our draft choices might play better to be used better????
    Not only is TT's draft record not all that great in rounds 1-2, but he's really struck out with a lot of the 3rd and 4th rounders, most of whom you expect to become starters, sooner or later. Remember these busts or semi-busts:

Pip
    Tuerk
    Perry
    Mager
    Attaouchu
    Chris Watt

And don't forget Teo, a 2nd rounder...Yep, TT's overall grade is about a C- in my book...

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yes all missed when someone else signs them to a second contract. The philosophy is build through draft and RESIGN you own. So you missed on team building when that doesn't happen.
      Yes Lugiet was a hit.
      It doesn't matter if there were better hits out there.

Coach's and talent on team have a lot to say about that. Future all pro players at the same position in the draft made Liuget a bad evaluation....hence a bad choice
      Verrett would have been by far the Chargers best defensive back this year; Desmond King should have been their 2nd best dback; Gordon would have been their bell cow back.

Darren Sproles never got a 2nd contract, neither did Michael Turner, nor Vincent Jackson.....all misses?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Lol. I actually think he's more involved in Herbert development than a lot of people think. Hence, why it's harder to get rid of him from a player and FO perspective.
        This certainly seems to be the tactic that he is taking.
        I'd want to know more details on how exactly he's helping Herbert mature before I would consider them joined at the hips.
        Ghost posted something on how Belichick would spend most of his time with Brady, going over what to expect from the opposing defense.
        I remember a video of Belichick and Brady (link below) gushing over Ed Reed; but Lynn is not a defensive guy.

For the most part, Herbert has been firing on all 4 cylinders from the get go.

It might be enough to fool the gullible Spanos.

* personally, I think Lynn stays.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Coach's and talent on team have a lot to say about that. Future all pro players at the same position in the draft made Liuget a bad evaluation....hence a bad choice
          Verrett would have been by far the Chargers best defensive back this year; Desmond King should have been their 2nd best dback; Gordon would have been their bell cow back.

Darren Sproles never got a 2nd contract, neither did Michael Turner, nor Vincent Jackson.....all misses?
          I was only reference the need to be really good with the 1st two rds of draft. Of course adding players in other rds that work out is sweet. But I believe you have to hit at a high rate at top of draft often.

Vincent Jackson played his 1st 7 seasons with Chargers he was give a 2nd contract. He got the bag on is 3rd one.

Sproles and Turner were 5th rd picks.
          Bonus points for getting great value in those rds.
          Sproles should have been given a contract. I think they franchise him twice and then let him walk.

​​​​​Verrett was a waste of money most seasons. Availability is the best ability.
          If he can finally stay healthy then 49ers are very fortunate.
          I'm not sure he can for two seasons in a row.

King can make a few plays. And is a solid player. But his numbers say he allows a high percentage of completions. Making him an average corner overall. But he is usually healthy.

If you want to count on Verrett and King for 2021.
          Count me out.
          I'd rather have Davis and Hayward and Harris and a rookie CB like Farley or Horn for 2021.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I was only reference the need to be really good with the 1st two rds of draft. Of course adding players in other rds that work out is sweet. But I believe you have to hit at a high rate at top of draft often.

Vincent Jackson played his 1st 7 seasons with Chargers he was give a 2nd contract. He got the bag on is 3rd one.

Sproles and Turner were 5th rd picks.
            Bonus points for getting great value in those rds.
            Sproles should have been given a contract. I think they franchise him twice and then let him walk.

​​​​​Verrett was a waste of money most seasons. Availability is the best ability.
            If he can finally stay healthy then 49ers are very fortunate.
            I'm not sure he can for two seasons in a row.

King can make a few plays. And is a solid player. But his numbers say he allows a high percentage of completions. Making him an average corner overall. But he is usually healthy.

If you want to count on Verrett and King for 2021.
            Count me out.
            I'd rather have Davis and Hayward and Harris and a rookie CB like Farley or Horn for 2021.
            Chargers can do better than Verrett and King in 2021
            Agreed - if you are picking 12-15 and the VA Tech kid is there - take him

Telesco needs to be very careful, as I think he will be back - NFL is not about older - its about 25-29. Bulaga, Harris and Linval were older. Bulaga we know is back; Linval for sure should be back. But don't make this a habit.

As for Black Monday - I do not expect Lynn or Telesco to be gone but in my view - both should be.

Start it up again -Telesco needs to be upgraded

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I'm looking forward to nothing... so I won't be disappointed.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                I'm looking forward to nothing... so I won't be disappointed.
                I know Lynn and Telesco will be back

But my hope is that Lynn at least will move on from Gus Bradley and get a new DC.

As if all three are back - that will be a not so good start to the offseason.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I'd want to know more details on how exactly he's helping Herbert mature before I would consider them joined at the hips.
                  Ghost posted something on how Belichick would spend most of his time with Brady, going over what to expect from the opposing defense.
                  I remember a video of Belichick and Brady (link below) gushing over Ed Reed; but Lynn is not a defensive guy.

I also think he stays and would also like to know how involved he is with the offense and Herbert. Was it like Norv and Rivers’ relationship?

With that being said, the Spanos have surprised us before. Both good and bad. Here’s hoping that they realize the futility of keeping him and Telesco, and clean house.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I also think he stays and would also like to know how involved he is with the offense and Herbert. Was it like Norv and Rivers’ relationship?

With that being said, the Spanos have surprised us before. Both good and bad. Here’s hoping that they realize the futility of keeping him and Telesco, and clean house.
                    Any head coach interviewing would hold the point of view that the GM (Telesco) might be fired next year.
                    Only those who are generating no interest would entertain the thought of accepting the Charger job under that condition.

The Spanos do not want to be docked for both Telesco/Lynn's salaries, that's why I think both stay.

The Spanos are only too happy to be given a reason for inaction. With the battle for LA raging so fiercely, they will happily focus on marketing & public relations.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Any head coach interviewing would hold the point of view that the GM (Telesco) might be fired next year.
                      Only those who are generating no interest would entertain the thought of accepting the Charger job under that condition.

The Spanos do not want to be docked for both Telesco/Lynn's salaries, that's why I think both stay.

The Spanos are only too happy to be given a reason for inaction. With the battle for LA raging so fiercely, they will happily focus on marketing & public relations.
                      I don’t agree with that first paragraph. Let me give you a recent example. McDermott was hired by the Bills with Doug Whaley as their GM. He was there until after the draft where he was subsequently fired and then replaced by McDermott’s friend from Carolina Brandon Beane. So I don’t think it deters us from getting a good HC.

The other more unlikely scenario is what happened to Les Snead. He was GM when Jeff Fisher was HC with the Rams. He not only survived being fired as well but just got a recent extension with McVay. I say unlikely because this would be the third HC under Telesco.

And did you forget that the Spanos had to pay AJ Smith and Norv Turner after 2012?

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It was an interview with former Patriots defensive coordinator, Dean Pees.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/20...y-development/

“Coach Belichick was a really great defensive coordinator but he spent maybe 45 minutes a week with us on defense,” Pees said on the podcast. “[The rest of the time] he spent with Tom Brady, telling Tom Brady ‘Here’s what those defenses are doing against you,’ which was perfect. He sat in the meeting room with Tom every day in individual meetings and unit meetings. [Belichick] would have team meetings but I’d have unit meetings and he was never in there. …

“He did an incredible job of sitting with Tom and we’re playing the Jets or something and he’s telling Tom ‘Here’s what to look for. Here’s what that safety’s showing you. Here’s what the linebacker’s showing you.’ I mean, what a great tool to have a guy like that, with that experience, sitting with your quarterback, teaching him how to read defenses.”
                        20% of Bill's time was defensive prep, the other 80% was spoon-feeding defensive backfield's coverage looks he'll face.

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

What a compliment... to spend only 45 minutes a week with you speaks volumes....

and yes... if the Spanoses dont fire at least AL (They should also fire TT) then here's a big "f++k you" to you spanoses...

Comment

Working...
                          X