• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

If Micah Parsons is off-the-board, I go best interior lineman in OG Wyatt Davis.

Another Quenton Nelson. I don't think a team can go wrong going the John Hannah route.
    I would take a Zach Martin type OG since Nelson was picked 6th and Martin in the teens. But yes, upgrading OG or OC is just as important as LT.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Still need more than that. Derwin isnt a pass rusher but a luxery to do many other things. EDGE is a must.
      Agreed.
      Derwin, Nwosu opposite Bosa won't be enough.
      I am still torn between Bendy, Speed EDGE types,
      and technicians with counters, hand work and gap integrity.
      Derwin's return throttles the urgency a little bit.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        For an consistently effective pass rush, Bosa needs more than just one other player to help. We need 2 edge rushers in addition to Bosa and a couple of guys to push the pocket up the middle.

TIllery has flashed some ability both off the edge and up the middle, but he still needs to develop some consistency. Nwosu can bring some pressure off the edge, and is not a horrible player, but he just doesn't win enough one on one matchups to be a real answer.

The NT thing is a nice idea, but not that many NT can get any pass rush pressure. Most guys who are the big physical run down types cannot get pressure on the QB. And if they can, they are too heavy to give a team 60-70 snaps a game. We need help vs the run, but we need a couple of DT who can rush the QB to keep them coming in waves.

I don't know if the rotation is the problem as much as we just don't have the right players (outside of Bosa). Tillery and Nwosu have shown some ability, but are not proven commodities, and even if they do step up their games, we need more help after that. Otherwise our D is just being a speed bump playing shoot out football.
        Right now, I think Tillery and Nwosu are basically backups who can rotate in to give our starters a breather. So, IMO, we need to draft or sign via FA at least ONE decent Edge and one decent IDL...if we could get one more Edge for the rotation, that would be even better...also need TWO cover corners...tired of seeing our gassed D give up gobs of yards at the end of the game...
        Last edited by Topcat; 12-30-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would take a Zach Martin type OG since Nelson was picked 6th and Martin in the teens. But yes, upgrading OG or OC is just as important as LT.
          Yep...tired of watching Feeney getting rag-dolled, and stumbling around like a clueless bum while Herbie gets pressured or sacked up the middle...

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Still need more than that. Derwin isnt a pass rusher but a luxery to do many other things. EDGE is a must.
            EDGE is a must.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...nfl-sack-title

Signing a FA EDGE frees up our draft to build an offensive line, to protect the franchise.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

EDGE is a must.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...nfl-sack-title

Signing a FA EDGE frees up our draft to build an offensive line, to protect the franchise.
              It does but im not real interested in Reddick. We dont play a 3-4 for one thing and he is just having a season. He hasnt been consistant and i dont want to pay Ingram type money or more to a player that isnt consistant.

He was a DE in a 4-3 at Temple so theres that but he still hasnt been consistant. Thats my concern with him and the Cards declined his 5th year option prior to this season....because he wasnt doing that great.
              Id rather have Shaq Barrett, Reddick is 26, Barrett is 28. ......but signing a DE in FA'cy will probably cost more than sign a FA OC. But if they can fit it in the cap, cool. Maybe even Matthew Judon...he is also 28.

Here is a FA list for all possitions

NFL Trad Rumor's early list of 2021 NFL Free Agents broken down by position. This list will be updated throughout the offseason as players signed and released.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

It does but im not real interested in Reddick. We dont play a 3-4 for one thing and he is just having a season. He hasnt been consistant and i dont want to pay Ingram type money or more to a player that isnt consistant.

He was a DE in a 4-3 at Temple so theres that but he still hasnt been consistant. Thats my concern with him and the Cards declined his 5th year option prior to this season....because he wasnt doing that great.
                Id rather have Shaq Barrett . Reddick is 26, Barrett is 28. ......but signing a DE in FA'cy will probably cost more than sign a FA OC. But if they can fit it in the cap, cool.
                What was Melvin Ingram? An OLB. The only reason we switched to the 4-3 in the first place is the vaunted Gus Bradley wanted to. I've posted enough articles on the subject on 3-4 to 4-3, to go into the the nuances between the two, when in the scheme, the variable is the player.

SupaMel made $16 million and recorded no sacks this season. Haasan fits a need.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

What was Melvin Ingram? An OLB. The only reason we switched to the 4-3 in the first place is the vaunted Gus Bradley wanted to. I've posted enough articles on the subject on 3-4 to 4-3, to go into the the nuances between the two, when in the scheme, the variable is the player.

SupaMel made $16 million and recorded no sacks this season. Haasan fits a need.
                  You have...but i didnt read all of them as they have been posted before over the years when we went from 4-3- to 3-4 and back again.

Reddick has been said to had a hard time adjusting to playing standing up so it isnt as easy for some than it is for others. There must be a difference rather than just standing up or maybe its the Cards DC way that was tough for him, i dont know.......but if it was just having a hand in the ground or standing up, it would b an easy transition. He has had a good season but he has been inconsistant.

I mean sure he is a consideration but how much do they want to spend in FA?
                  Mel didnt excell at either but id say his best seasons were in a 4-3. He was a DE in college but i saw him rush from DT as well.

Nothing wrong with a 4-3 and its easier to find 4-3 DEs than the pieces to fit the 3-4. Not many colleges run a 3-4. Last i checked some time ago it was like 8-10 teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any of this,.... Or Reddick if they go that route, I just want them to get the right guys and not miss on any FAs they may sign.

There are other FA DEs and probably cheaper OCs they can get and he has to hit on those guys.
                  No more Orlando Franklins or always hurt Bulaga's please.

I posted a link to a list of FA's in the other post.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-30-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

That video makes me wanna drive TT to the ground until he starts drafting good o linemen!!!!!!

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

You have...but i didnt read all of them as they have been posted before over the years when we went from 4-3- to 3-4 and back again.

Reddick has been said to had a hard time adjusting to playing standing up so it isnt as easy for some than it is for others. There must be a difference rather than just standing up or maybe its the Cards DC way that was tough for him, i dont know.......but if it was just having a hand in the ground or standing up, it would b an easy transition. He has had a good season but he has been inconsistant.

I mean sure he is a consideration but how much do they want to spend in FA?
                      Mel didnt excell at either but id say his best seasons were in a 4-3. He was a DE in college but i saw him rush from DT as well.

Nothing wrong with a 4-3 and its easier to find 4-3 DEs than the pieces to fit the 3-4. Not many colleges run a 3-4. Last i checked some time ago it was like 8-10 teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any of this,.... Or Reddick if they go that route, I just want them to get the right guys and not miss on any FAs they may sign.

There are other FA DEs and probably cheaper OCs they can get and he has to hit on those guys.
                      No more Orlando Franklins or always hurt Bulaga's please.

I posted a link to a list of FA's in the other post.
                      IMO, football is about the front office taking calculated risks. Each GM, hopefully, has razor-sharp risk management skills, and he who bets wrong at a sub .500 clip, gets clipped, & loses their job. Arizona bet wrong on Haasan Reddick. Some team is going to place a heavy bet on Haasan Reddick. Why not the Chargers? He's 26, as you point out. San Francisco made a living out of poaching our players in their prime, let's get one for to replace Melvin Ingram's flat & uninspiring 2020 production.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Reddick has a career best 12.5 sacks this season and 8 of them have come against the three worst OLs going. Dallas, Giants and Philly. Five in one game against the Giants awful OL.

So I'm a Skeptic.
                        You don't need to keep showing me videos of a sack. I mean, he had one sack last season, maybe one of those was it?
                        His prior best was 4 sacks in a season. I just don't want another Mel while paying him 70 million.

Why not Matthew Judon or Shaq Barrett? Guys that have been more consistent.

Two years ago I wanted us to sign Z'Darius Smith. And in those two years.... With one game to go has has 26 sacks, five forced fumbles and 60 QB hits.

In the same two seasons, Mel has had 7 sacks, Zero FF, 16 QB hits and a INT. I wanted us to trade him in the offseason for a draft pick.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Typically, even the best pass rushers in the NFL get the majority of their sacks against poor OL or mismatches where the RB or TE is blocking an edge.

If the expectation is that they have to collect bunches of sacks vs top notch OL, then just about every pass rusher is doomed to fail.

FWIW, our 43 D is developed from 34, and Seattle, Atlanta, SF and Jacksonville have all gotten some mileage out of using pass rushing 34 OLB as their small/rush DE/OLB whatever you want to call that position (LEO or Elephant).

Comment

Working...
                          X