• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

This Team's D-line Rotation Sucks

It is horrible. The team lost games because of talent issues on the D-line. Many people say how this team is tired late in games, and wonder why they had their failures. I'm doing this for people to understand this stuff.

How the Bills defensive line rotation works

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/nfl/how-the-bills-defensive-line-rotation-works/

“It’s about 1 on 1’s, being able to win those 1 on 1’s and putting ourselves in situations to get 1 on 1’s,” Murphy said. “We study all week and it’s like, ‘Ok, your moves are better against this guy’. We’ll try to dictate those matchups.”

The Bills won a lot of matchups Sunday in Miami. Six of the eight active defensive linemen finished the game with one sack.

All the more reason to keep spreading the snaps around.
    How the Saints defensive line rotations performed in week one

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...fl-new-orleans

So it shouldn’t be any surprise that the most used defensive line configurations and groupings included the Saints’ top five linemen. But part of what kept the Saints productive late in the game when facing a more pass-heavy attack is their rotation.

New Orleans showed a whopping 10 different player combinations (groupings) in the first half. That’s a lot of rotation. However, they followed that up in the second half by introducing 14 more after the break. The configurations were much the same. 13 dispensed in the first half with 18 more being unloaded in the third and fourth quarters.

In the fourth quarter alone we found three new personnel groupings lined up in eight different positional combinations. This helps the Saints stay fresh and effective late in games. In the fourth, two of the last groupings introduced yielded two sacks and two hurries as well as forcing a failed third down conversion. It’s not unusual to see new players added into the rotation late for a team with the lead, but the defensive coordinator Dennis Allen played all eight of his options by the tenth defensive snap of the game. Meaning there is a lot of trust across this entire depth chart.

Eagles defensive line rotation is working to perfection right now

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...javon-hargrave

But you need talent and depth to do it well. The Eagles have both.

“I never seen anything like this, to have so much talent on one defensive line, where we can just keep rotating and not drop a beat,” said Javon Hargrave, in his first year with the Eagles. “Having so many guys to come in and contribute. It is really amazing. I am just glad to be a part of it.”

The Eagles are four deep at defensive tackle right now and they’re four deep at defensive end before the return of Vinny Curry off IR.
    Colts’ defensive line rotation could be key to relentless pass rush

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2020/11/...-to-pass-rush/

The Indianapolis Colts’ pass rush might not be recognized as one of the most formidable units in the league, but they absolutely deserve more respect than they have garnered so far this season.

Through Week 8, the group ranks 11th in the NFL with a respectable 2.3 sacks per game and seventh with 32 quarterback hurries. Those impressive numbers come despite the fact that Indy has the fourth-lowest blitz rate (18.8%) of any team.

Outside of defensive end Justin Houston and interior lineman DeForest Buckner, who have combined to compiled 40 tackles (eight for loss) six sacks, 19 QB hits and two safeties across seven games, there are arguably zero other members of the defensive line that have heaped praise from fans and pundits.

That’s downright criminal when you consider how often the Colts have rotated up front during games this season. In Sunday’s win over Detroit, a whopping eight players logged at least 25% of the defensive snaps, further proving that a heavy rotation has been key to Indianapolis’ consistent pass rush.
    Balance of Power: Best Possible Rotation for the 49ers' Defensive Line

I’ve killed a fair share of electrons sharing my excitement for the San Francisco 49ers’ defensive line. Over two seasons, I’ve called them the defense’s anchor, North Star, nearly unbeatable and other fancy phrases to capture my hope.

Yet, in both seasons, I’ve been let down by the overall play from the defense, despite some strong individual performances from the defensive line.

Yes, DeForest Buckner is one of the best and most underrated defensive linemen in football. No, Arik Armstead did not play poorly last year, despite the misgivings of a former beat reporter.

We learned that head coach Kyle Shanahan and defensive coordinator Robert Saleh lacked threating edge defenders, resulting in an ineffective pass rush and a soft underbelly in the defensive front.

Do you think this team is 8 men deep? I'd say no. When it comes to pass rushing depth, therein lies the problem. Outside of Bosa, Nwosu, and another player there isn't much to it. There are flaws on this team that makes the pass rush ineffective. Maybe the formula being bad is why this team has the troubles they have had until now?

• Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Thats why Im adamant that along with Loser Lynn and Gutless Gus TT really needs to be shown the exit for this team to start makin the playoffs again.Terrible depth on this team.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

In other news, TPB Trencher Caveman has discovered that fire is hot.

None of those teams play in the AFCW.

We still need more weapons to beat KC.

Two years ago, and after winning a SB, per leaguewide depth chart study, PHI had insane depth at OL & DL. If you would be willing to bother yourselves by looking it up, Ourlads has archived NFL depth charts.

They are still looking for WRs/Cap formula.

Don't let Herb become Wentz.

Y'all are preaching-I'm not.

JMO.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Bosa needs another good rusher or a NT that commands double teams. Was hoping Tillery could become another good DE.

Depth has been an issue, only 1 person responsible for depth

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

For an consistently effective pass rush, Bosa needs more than just one other player to help. We need 2 edge rushers in addition to Bosa and a couple of guys to push the pocket up the middle.

TIllery has flashed some ability both off the edge and up the middle, but he still needs to develop some consistency. Nwosu can bring some pressure off the edge, and is not a horrible player, but he just doesn't win enough one on one matchups to be a real answer.

The NT thing is a nice idea, but not that many NT can get any pass rush pressure. Most guys who are the big physical run down types cannot get pressure on the QB. And if they can, they are too heavy to give a team 60-70 snaps a game. We need help vs the run, but we need a couple of DT who can rush the QB to keep them coming in waves.

I don't know if the rotation is the problem as much as we just don't have the right players (outside of Bosa). Tillery and Nwosu have shown some ability, but are not proven commodities, and even if they do step up their games, we need more help after that. Otherwise our D is just being a speed bump playing shoot out football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Two years ago, and after winning a SB, per leaguewide depth chart study, PHI had insane depth at OL & DL. If you would be willing to bother yourselves by looking it up, Ourlads has archived NFL depth charts.

JMO.
            Philly WRs were hurt all the time but they have weapons. Just unavailable.
            Wentz OL has been a problem as well , especially OT with Lane Johnson missing many games and 59 year old Peter's having to go back to LT because of injury.

But the WR injuries.. . Reagor missed a lot of games, DeSean Jackson, and Jeffrey missed a lot of games too as did Ertz. Jeffrey has six receptions for the season.

Fulghum played well in their place as did Ward but missing the above hurts.

Im all for weapons but we have a trenches problem.

Comment

• Scotty Boy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2017
              • Send PM

Don’t necessarily disagree.

Be mindful, however, Gus probably runs the most vanilla FORMATIONS and OVERALL SCHEMES in the entire league. This puts much more pressure on the DL to win their one-on-one battles.

Lining-up with different looks and and playing varied coverages will do wonders for the pass rush. When was the last time the Chargers put Kenneth Murray on the edge in a passing situation? My guess is never.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

JMO.
                Give it to Wood,dude always cracks me up with his little jabs at us fundamentalists lol.Save your space odyssey,smarter than thou jargon bro.We have another future HOF QB,so it is finally time to Build the Trenches and the rest will fall into place. TT's flawed logic of coupon clipping and attemping to be the smartest guy in the room crap will somehow bring us poor dedicated fans a long sought after Lombardi has left us being the laughing stock of West for another long year.This ones for the cheap seats-K.I.S.S.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Philly WRs were hurt all the time but they have weapons. Just unavailable.
                  Wentz OL has been a problem as well , especially OT with Lane Johnson missing many games and 59 year old Peter's having to go back to LT because of injury.

But the WR injuries.. . Reagor missed a lot of games, DeSean Jackson, and Jeffrey missed a lot of games too as did Ertz. Jeffrey has six receptions for the season.

Fulghum played well in their place as did Ward but missing the above hurts.

Im all for weapons but we have a trenches problem.
                  So, in other words, PHI hasn't had enough depth at playmakers,
                  like LAC has not had enough depth in the trenches.
                  ​​​
                  And Olines need snaps together to become sufficient, too.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Give it to Wood,dude always cracks me up with his little jabs at us fundamentalists lol.Save your space odyssey,smarter than thou jargon bro.We have another future HOF QB,so it is finally time to Build the Trenches and the rest will fall into place. TT's flawed logic of coupon clipping and attemping to be the smartest guy in the room crap will somehow bring us poor dedicated fans a long sought after Lombardi has left us being the laughing stock of West for another long year.This ones for the cheap seats-K.I.S.S.
                    :biggrin:

Smarter ? Maybe.
                    Equally foolish, only in different ways ? Yes.
                    I am more of a big picture fan.
                    For example, if we get a lead early,
                    opposing pass rushers cannot tee off.
                    I hope you trust that I am studying the F out of trench prospects and URFAs up and down the list of possibilities.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Scotty Boy View Post
                      Don’t necessarily disagree.

Be mindful, however, Gus probably runs the most vanilla FORMATIONS and OVERALL SCHEMES in the entire league. This puts much more pressure on the DL to win their one-on-one battles.

Lining-up with different looks and and playing varied coverages will do wonders for the pass rush. When was the last time the Chargers put Kenneth Murray on the edge in a passing situation? My guess is never.
                      Gus used to put Bosa + Ingram on same side with great success.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

So, in other words, PHI hasn't had enough depth at playmakers,
                        like LAC has not had enough depth in the trenches.
                        ​​​
                        And Olines need snaps together to become sufficient, too.
                        Fulghum played very well with Reagor and Jackson and Jeffrey out. Wentz hasnt played well and their OL isnt good.
                        Hurts is a lot more mobile and faster than Wentz and he still got sacked 9 times in his two starts.

As for playmakers....when your top 3 WRs are hurt, what are you supposed to do...go draft another first round WR? Fulghum played well.

However, Jeffrey may be outta now there so they can use a WR maybe, but Fulghum made big strides,..... but to ignore the OL would be Chargeresq. OT is a big need for them as Lane Johnson is just beat to hell, but yes they can use another WR. Just dont know if first round is the best play for them there.

Comment

Working...
                        X