Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I still think he moves Tillery to 5 tech where all he does is take on blocks.
    That was almost exactly what STaley said he was not going to do. He said he is a matchup guy who was going to get moved around.

Based on when he has flashed in the past, I think Staley is probably telling the truth.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That was almost exactly what STaley said he was not going to do. He said he is a matchup guy who was going to get moved around.

Based on when he has flashed in the past, I think Staley is probably telling the truth.
      Thanks Steve.

In a 3 man line, where does he play? And who lines up over the OLT? This inquiring mind wants to know. Going to a 3-4 requires changes. And maybe personnel changes.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Thanks Steve.

In a 3 man line, where does he play? And who lines up over the OLT? This inquiring mind wants to know. Going to a 3-4 requires changes. And maybe personnel changes.
        Obviously, I can't answer your Q with specifics. I doubt that Staley could either. By that I mean that we'll play different fronts, different personnel packages vs different teams and situations per Staley.
        I get the part where he wants Tillery lining up inside regardless of the balance of D line in passing situations. I imagine our 6-6, 295 DL physically impacting passing lanes as he gets QB pressure.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Obviously, I can't answer your Q with specifics. I doubt that Staley could either. By that I mean that we'll play different fronts, different personnel packages vs different teams and situations per Staley.
          I get the part where he wants Tillery lining up inside regardless of the balance of D line in passing situations. I imagine our 6-6, 295 DL physically impacting passing lanes as he gets QB pressure.
          My issue is that we apparently don’t have a single player capable of defending the edge on an every play basis. Typically that would be a tall heavy guy to go man on man against a tall heavy OLT for 50 snaps a game. And if it isn't Tillery, we don't have a guy.

And that means we have to find one in the draft. Not another IDL, not an edge.

The game is won and lost at the LOS and we may have a huge hole there that nobody acknowledges.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

My issue is that we apparently don’t have a single player capable of defending the edge on an every play basis. Typically that would be a tall heavy guy to go man on man against a tall heavy OLT for 50 snaps a game. And if it isn't Tillery, we don't have a guy.

And that means we have to find one in the draft. Not another IDL, not an edge.

The game is won and lost at the LOS and we may have a huge hole there that nobody acknowledges.
            We have JJones, Broughton, Joseph, Tillery and the 2020 UDFAs to battle/play/rotate at 4I - 1T.
            Will we draft another guy to rotate/create competition? Could for sure.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

In the look above (tite strong front), I would see Tillery used like the Rams used Brockers (90).

On the weak side of the formation, the backside DE will often be asked to play heads up to keep the LB clean behind him (59 is kinda stacked behind 90), but he has to get outside to keep the OL from hooking him inside on a weakside run. He doesn't have to play a classic contain technique, but he has to give the secondary guys time to come up and support. Tillery's combination of length and speed make it a tough job to hook him inside.

IN this look (tite weak), the OLB is on the weak side, but the ridge of the OT and DE helmets are "heads up". But there is no one in position to cutoff the outside run. The TE can get to the LB (41), but if the DE can keep his outside arm free, and work across the OT face, the S and CB will have time to come up and force the RB to cut back (where the secondary will fill the cutback lanes).

If he really develops, maybe Tillery can become the Aaron Donald/ dominant inside DL who gets moved around to get mismatches. But I think that will take some time. I think Tillery can fill the quick contain DE right now. It's boring, because it is not a playmaker position, but it is important that someone does the "dirty work" for the pursuit guys to come up and make the tackles.

Again, don't think left right as much as strong weak. Staley flip flops his defensive players a lot.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

In the look above (tite front), I would see Tillery used like the Rams used Brockers (90).

On the weak side of the formation, the backside DE will often be asked to play heads up to keep the LB clean behind him (59 is kinda stacked behind 90), but he has to get outside to keep the OL from hooking him inside on a weakside run. He doesn't have to play a classic contain technique, but he has to give the secondary guys time to come up and support. Tillery's combination of length and speed make it a tough job to hook him inside.

IN this look, the OLB is on the weak side, but the ridge of the OT and DE helmets are "heads up". But there is no one in position to cutoff the outside run. The TE can get to the LB (41), but if the DE can keep his outside arm free, and work across the OT face, the S and CB will have time to come up and force the RB to cut back (where the secondary will fill the cutback lanes).

If he really develops, maybe Tillery can become the Aaron Donald/ dominant inside DL who gets moved around to get mismatches. But I think that will take some time. I think Tillery can fill the quick contain DE right now. It's boring, because it is not a playmaker position, but it is important that someone does the "dirty work" for the pursuit guys to come up and make the tackles.
                Pass the Dutchie if you think Tillery becomes Aaron Donald

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We have JJones, Broughton, Joseph, Tillery and the 2020 UDFAs to battle/play/rotate at 4I - 1T.
                  Will we draft another guy to rotate/create competition? Could for sure.
                  I am ready to throw away any semblance of a normal depth chart at DL.

Staley is identifying outside players as EDGE, so as to not differentiate between Weak and Strong.

This plays out especially in coverage concepts, where there are formations with people in motion, Trips and Two + Two.

EDGE players have Zone responsibilities.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

C'mon Steve.
                    Show us some of the exotic looks.
                    Staley does a great job in defending the run,
                    while doing things that make old school DCs turn over in their grave.
                    Welcome to RPO.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

His run looks aren't very exotic. As I keep pointing out, they are as old as the hills. The Rams were just very good at making teams earn every yard. IT's not rocket science. It's about being sound.

The last couple of years Bradley had a decent run D, but there were a few plays every game where getting lined up and getting everyone to play their gap is an adventure. And Bradley was even better than Pagano before that. But in the end, there were just a lot of big plays because players were either free lancing .. or trying to get "skinny" and then are blown off the ball ... or missed tackles ... it was not one thing, but all of them are mistakes.

Staley had a very few plays last year (all season), but mostly everyone seemed to know what they were supposed to do and just was good at using their techniques. They were just solid and consistent and don't make mistakes. And they don't miss many tackles.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

His run looks aren't very exotic. As I keep pointing out, they are as old as the hills. The Rams were just very good at making teams earn every yard. IT's not rocket science. It's about being sound.

The last couple of years Bradley had a decent run D, but there were a few plays every game where getting lined up and getting everyone to play their gap is an adventure. And Bradley was even better than Pagano before that. But in the end, there were just a lot of big plays because players were either free lancing .. or trying to get "skinny" and then are blown off the ball ... or missed tackles ... it was not one thing, but all of them are mistakes.

Staley had a very few plays last year (all season), but mostly everyone seemed to know what they were supposed to do and just was good at using their techniques. They were just solid and consistent and don't make mistakes. And they don't miss many tackles.
                        Recently our defense has specialized in missing tackles.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

2020 Rams D was as diverse and exotic as it ever gets.

The whole point is that Staley was trying, and succeeding at things, that had never been imagined before.

Buddy Ryan is shouting down to us...what the hell is going on out there ?

Comment

Working...
                          X