• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

In the look above (tite strong front), I would see Tillery used like the Rams used Brockers (90).

On the weak side of the formation, the backside DE will often be asked to play heads up to keep the LB clean behind him (59 is kinda stacked behind 90), but he has to get outside to keep the OL from hooking him inside on a weakside run. He doesn't have to play a classic contain technique, but he has to give the secondary guys time to come up and support. Tillery's combination of length and speed make it a tough job to hook him inside.

IN this look (tite weak), the OLB is on the weak side, but the ridge of the OT and DE helmets are "heads up". But there is no one in position to cutoff the outside run. The TE can get to the LB (41), but if the DE can keep his outside arm free, and work across the OT face, the S and CB will have time to come up and force the RB to cut back (where the secondary will fill the cutback lanes).

If he really develops, maybe Tillery can become the Aaron Donald/ dominant inside DL who gets moved around to get mismatches. But I think that will take some time. I think Tillery can fill the quick contain DE right now. It's boring, because it is not a playmaker position, but it is important that someone does the "dirty work" for the pursuit guys to come up and make the tackles.

Again, don't think left right as much as strong weak. Staley flip flops his defensive players a lot.
    Thanks Steve,

I see the same thing with Bosa and Tillery over the OTs and Joseph over the C. Although I'd put Bosa to the weak side to keep the TE from chipping him. Very conventional although they may move around a little bit pre-snap to cause confusion. They need a big guy on the edge though or the offense will attack it all day long.

And if Tillery moves inside, we have to draft a big guy to put over the OT, perhaps Christian Barmore. And that will rile up the draftniks.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
    X