Ironman Philip Rivers - Is Rivers A Lock For The Hall?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Maybe its coaching, talent, etc. I think that Stafford with Reich would be a better QB than STafford with Patricia. does that make him better than Rivers? Well, Rivers has a ceiling right now - not going to get better, probably won't get much worse. How much better can Reich and that team with a running game and OL - make Stafford?
    Stafford is ok but he is always hurt in some fashion and just isnt clutch.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-11-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Maybe its coaching, talent, etc. I think that Stafford with Reich would be a better QB than STafford with Patricia. does that make him better than Rivers? Well, Rivers has a ceiling right now - not going to get better, probably won't get much worse. How much better can Reich and that team with a running game and OL - make Stafford?
      My point is that the running game as used by Reich is actually making the QB worse. Having a good runner and OL is nice, but not when you keep ending up with 3rd down and long because your head coach keeps calling run, run, QB please save our possession even though the defense knows what is coming. Reich was very similar to Lynn/Steichen in that respect this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am a big fan of Rivers from his time as a Bolt but if I am the Colts - with that core group and cap space - I am calling the Lions and kicking the tires on Stafford. The OL in Indy would be an upgrade, he is more mobile than Rivers (I mean, what QB isn't) , he can make all the throws. They have the run game to compliment the passing game. Maybe a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder to the Lions.
        And yet Rivers has been the statistically better QB despite Stafford having some guy named Calvin Johnson to throw the ball to for most his career.

Stafford's advantage is that he is likely to play longer than Rivers, but he is not as good as Rivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Rivers said he agreed with that play and told Reich "OK, i like that call if you want to go for it". Rivers said they scored on that play in 2015 when Reich was the OC for us and its a play he has run several times. Its all in that video i posted of Rivers postgame comments.

Agree about Esiason. He is critical alot lately but he sure didnt hit those plays he is critical about. I also cant stand listening to Ovloski criticise a QB. That guy stunk and stupidly ran out of the back of the EZ while scrambling for a safety once so he had no fucking awareness.
          First, to be really clear, the Colts should have kicked a FG. Everyone not named Reich seemed to have that view in real time. And this was after 2 bad calls on second and third down.

Second, the play ended up not being there. The margin for error was very small, more likely to be incomplete than complete. There is no way that most NFL QBs would complete that pass more times than not. I did care for the call because it was essentially a one option only pass with Rivers dropping back extra to give Pittman time to cross against the flow of receivers in the other direction.

Third, as is often the case with players in general, Rivers is not likely to be critical of his head coach. That applies even more so in the case of Rivers, who may want to return for one more season and may need Reich's support for that to happen.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

First, to be really clear, the Colts should have kicked a FG. Everyone not named Reich seemed to have that view in real time. And this was after 2 bad calls on second and third down.

Second, the play ended up not being there. The margin for error was very small, more likely to be incomplete than complete. There is no way that most NFL QBs would complete that pass more times than not. I did care for the call because it was essentially a one option only pass with Rivers dropping back extra to give Pittman time to cross against the flow of receivers in the other direction.

Third, as is often the case with players in general, Rivers is not likely to be critical of his head coach. That applies even more so in the case of Rivers, who may want to return for one more season and may need Reich's support for that to happen.
            I agree w/ the bolded.

True Rivers wont say anything bad but he did say he was on board with that call if Reich wanted to go for it. Its all i can offer except to go watch the video.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont usually go to other forums but i did go to the Colts the other day to read some reactions. Nobody there seems to think Eason is a solution but of course, like all fans since he didnt play one snap they figure he isnt any good.

Some wouldnt mind Rivers returning but most think getting another QB is best. Many there want to bring in Wentz who IMO cant carry Rivers jock and i wouldnt want him. I think they should resign Rivers and draft a young QB early or have Eason sit another year. Who knows how they fel about him and with no preseason of course nobody asside from the coaches can tell.
              i saw that too. Some were obsessed with the lack of arm strength of Rivers....he doesn't 'spin' it, or that last hail mary not making it to the endzone.

They want a modern qb with the scramble/throw option. Generally, they never bought into Rivers from the very beginning.

I hope the Colts go 5-11 next year if Rivers leaves.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

On 4th and goal, River just barely missed Pittman. By a foot or so. On the other red zone series he threw behind Pittman on 3rd down. Make those 2 throws and it may have been different
                In other words, Rivers had to be perfect for the Colts to win. On the first down, Colts should have run it in from the two.
                Rivers did indeed miss Pittman, who had a step....should have been first and goal.

I've seen Brady miss pass after pass in two playoff games against the Chargers and he still won...that's why he's the GOAT: games aren't won or lost in the first 3 quarters.

On that final drive, PR's lack of arm strength showed....they had to methodically go down field. Would have been nice if Indy had a playmaker.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

In other words, Rivers had to be perfect for the Colts to win. On the first down, Colts should have run it in from the two.
                    Rivers did indeed miss Pittman, who had a step....should have been first and goal.

I've seen Brady miss pass after pass in two playoff games against the Chargers and he still won...that's why he's the GOAT: games aren't won or lost in the first 3 quarters.

On that final drive, PR's lack of arm strength showed....they had to methodically go down field. Would have been nice if Indy had a playmaker.
                    I never understood the “lack of arm strength” comments. He had a 30 yd TD in that same game & also had a 40 yd TD against the Steelers. Yeah the Hail Mary came Up short, but that’s a rare play and not conducive to actually winning.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RyanLeaf4President View Post

I never understood the “lack of arm strength” comments. He had a 30 yd TD in that same game & also had a 40 yd TD against the Steelers. Yeah the Hail Mary came Up short, but that’s a rare play and not conducive to actually winning.
                      Arm strength is overrated. Yes, on that Mail Harry Phil didn't quite have the arm to reach the end zone. But neither would Brady probably. Herbert on the other hand could have thrown it out of the end zone and into the stands if he wanted to.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Well if you are relying on a hail mary, things most likely aren't going well. Least of the worries imo.

Nobody signs or drafts a QB for their hail Mary ability lol
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-12-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well if you are relying on a hail mary, things most likely aren't going well. Least of the worries imo.

Nobody signs or drafts a QB for their hail Mary ability lol
                          Isn’t the Hail Mary the most significant combine test?

Comment

Working...
                          X